Search for notes with a single tag only

I'm sure this has been asked previously but I can't find anything in this forum that answers this.

How do I search for all notes which are tagged with a certain tag and no other tags?

For example if I search for a certain tag I get all notes which are tagged with it and any other tags. I want to see notes which are tagged only with this single tag and exclude all notes which are also tagged with additional tags.

I know about -tag: search operator but it's too much work to manually type -tag: for each tag I want to exlude when I want to exclude all tags except one.

I've also tried to use

tag:"name of the only tag I want to see" -tag:* (to exclude notes tagged with additional tags)

But it doesn't work, seems like -tag:* overrides tag:"name of the only tag I want to see" and just excludes all tags so I get no results

I don't think this is possible. But there's a workaround in Windows & I think Mac. Select that tag only. Then sort by tag in the results pane (list view). Since sorting by tag also sorts by the alphabetical order of the tags, all notes with only that tag will be grouped together. IOW, if the tag you're looking for is "gifts", notes that have only the "gifts" tag will be grouped together under "gifts" & you will be able to see that that is the only tag. IOW, if one note is tagged "Dad" & "gifts", it will appear under D for Dad. If another note is tagged "Mom" & "gifts", it will appear under G for gifts, but you'll also see the Mom tag on the tag line. (Hope that makes sense.)

tag:"name of the only tag I want to see" -tag:* (to exclude notes tagged with additional tags)

But it doesn't work, seems like -tag:* overrides tag:"name of the only tag I want to see" and just excludes all tags so I get no results

Right, sort of. It's not really (technically) overriding, it's just an additional search criteria that's added & therefore causes zero results because the situations are mutually exclusive. You're saying I want to find everything that's tagged "gifts" AND exclude any notes that have any tag applied. These are mutually exclusive situations because a note cannot have the tag "gifts" applied to it AND have no tags.

Thanks, this almost solves it.

2 problems left.

1 All notes are sorted by tags and all notes with only a single selected tag are at the top but I can't see at which point I start getting notes with additional tags also, there is no clear separation in the list.

2 not possible to sort by tag on iPad

. You're saying I want to find everything that's tagged "gifts" AND exclude any notes that have any tag applied. These are mutually exclusive situations because a note cannot have the tag "gifts" applied to it AND have no tags.

would be nice to have some way to say exclude all tags except some. Something like

-tag:* except tag:"the only tag I want to see"

But I see why it doesn't work

Actually first problem is solved by using list view to browse notes so there's only one problem left - no way to do this on iPad...

Seem to remember seeing feature request for list view for iPad brought up several times in the iOS forum.

Maybe even by yourself. ;)

I didn't request list view exactly however yes, it would make iPad version a lot more flexible. I'm not sure how they can add it and keep it similar to desktop with all the details though.

It'd be more useful to make iPad client to have 3 column view similar to desktop version so we could see tags and list of notes and note view all at once. This way it'll be possible to see all assigned tags at least. This would be a good start ;)

Windows client is pretty much perfect at the moment. All the features I wanted were added but now I use iPad most of the time so it's all over again...

Wow Seems like I figured out how to solve this here

Basically I don't apply multiple tags and use tag hierarchy in tag names instead and then rely purely on search. It's a different approach to using tags...

Yeah, it's true. It's a different approach and it's not hard to implement but it's not obvious at all.

I can use tags, sub-tags almost as true sub-tags, each sub-tag could be a child of multiple parent tags with an additional workaround which is "related tags" note. This structure is as flexible as it gets pretty much and it all works on iPad.

Of course it still doesn't really solve anything if you just want to use evernote in any other more obvious way

• Level 5*

Actually first problem is solved by using list view to browse notes so there's only one problem left - no way to do this on iPad...

This works ONLY for EN Win. EN Mac does NOT have a "Tags" column to sort on or display in the List view.

• 2 years later...

Basically I don't apply multiple tags and use tag hierarchy in tag names instead and then rely purely on search. It's a different approach to using tags...

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18928-subtags-dont-work/page__view__findpost__p__117991

This works, but if you don't apply multiple tags, then you may as well just organise your notes into notebooks.

(Unless there is some other reason you use tags I am not aware of).

• Level 5*

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18928-subtags-dont-work/page__view__findpost__p__117991

This works, but if you don't apply multiple tags, then you may as well just organise your notes into notebooks.

(Unless there is some other reason you use tags I am not aware of).

Keeping in mind that there is a limit o5 250 notebooks for non-Business Evernote users...

Archived