(Archived) Forum URL Change/Redirect

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I created an account on here specifically to do so.

When I google something related to Evernote I get a bunch of links to threads in these forums. However clicking any of these links redirects me to discussion.evernote.com. Ex., I googled "chrome print pdf evernote" and the top link was to forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=21750. However that just takes me to the forum root. This is REALLY annoying. Didn't someone think that maintaining the old permalinks might be a good idea for anyone that doesn't actively search these forums (you know, like everyone using Google and the Internet)?

Anyway, this is extremely frustrating, and it's happened to me on enough occasions that I finally needed to vent about it somewhere. Somewhere being here. It'd be really great if you could restore these permalinks and set up proper redirects to their new location within these forums.

The sections dealing with no longer supported versions was not migrated over.

This may be true, but I'm seeing links from Google that are dated September 2011 that are redirecting to the root. I don't think *any* of the permalinks from the old forum were maintained. Like I said, this is extremely frustrating. Especially since's Google's search is much better than the search on these forums. I don't want to wade through dozens of forum posts to find what I'm looking for, especially when I can see a snippet of it on Google (just can't access it). In fact, "discussion.evernote.com" isn't showing up anywhere in the Google results, but "forum.evernote.com" is... which is no longer valid.

Anyway, maybe this venting of mine won't change anything, but it's still a horrible way to "migrate" (read: clobber) from one environment to another, IMHO.

This may be true, but I'm seeing links from Google that are dated September 2011 that are redirecting to the root. I don't think *any* of the permalinks from the old forum were maintained. Like I said, this is extremely frustrating. Especially since's Google's search is much better than the search on these forums. I don't want to wade through dozens of forum posts to find what I'm looking for, especially when I can see a snippet of it on Google (just can't access it). In fact, "discussion.evernote.com" isn't showing up anywhere in the Google results, but "forum.evernote.com" is... which is no longer valid.

Anyway, maybe this venting of mine won't change anything, but it's still a horrible way to "migrate" (read: clobber) from one environment to another, IMHO.

It is more down to the change in the software...the different forum software uses a different thread linking structure.

All of the posts are here, just that they generally contain different links. Yes the old links don't work...

The easiest way to search the new forum via google is to use the site search feature:

site:discussion.evernote.com your search terms

Maybe gbarry could add an announcement for those that reach this forum from a google search (via the old one) to explain this difference...

Added to the docket, Scott. Good points by all.

To just generally confirm, I've looked into ways we could "translate" all the old forum links into the new ones, but that would be exceedingly tough given the differences between the two systems. I've broached it with Invision but it would take some significant work, and I have other pending items with them right now.

The best way is really to leverage the forum's search feature, per spg SCOTT's suggestion.

This is dirty dirty dirty workaround, but you can also take a piece of the sample text retrieved by the search engine ("at least start an outline" for example) and use it in quotes to find the old forum content in the new one. It does look like google's indexing the new site pretty though.

• Level 5

The problem with this is the Web (anthropomorphically perhaps) :-) views the old Evernote forums as part of its knowledge base. I've hit this one multiple times. Even just a redirect to the new with a search argument containing the query string of the Referer (sic)* URL would help.

Martin

* Don't blame me that's what it's called :-)

Even just a redirect to the new with a search argument containing the query string of the Referer (sic)* URL would help.

I agree. I think this would be a good solution, in that it doesn't make me feel like I've been abandoned by the Evernote forums. At least I'd get *some* results that were related to what I searched for. A message indicating the changes and why this happened would also be nice, and alleviate some of the aggravation caused by the redirect-to-root.

Archived