(Archived) converting emails from Outlook (and other mail clients?)

• Level 5*

Just had a "Doh" moment - there've been various requests in the Forum for help in converting emails into Evernote, and of course the lovely and talented Evernote clipper may be there to help you in some mail clients.

For those who lack this facility however, but do have a Scansnap scanner or have otherwise acquired or purchased PDF software (My Adobe 9 came bundled with the scanner), check out your email client toolbar for PDF related links.

I have never used an email-to-PDF function in my life before, but just thought to check out my Outlook 2003 toolbar. There, large as life, were two buttons - one for Adobe, one for Nuance (since I actually bought PDF software separately, way before getting the Scansnap. Double-doh). Both links popped up during the installation of the software, but had never yet been used. Both however happily offer the option to convert one or many emails (+ attachments) to indexed PDF files, which as we all know can be added to Evernote rather easily.

Actually doing this in Adobe crashed my ageing Outlook (again), but Nuance worked fine. A quick check on the interweb suggests there are also lots of additional options out there for online or downloadable email-to-Evernoteable file type conversions, most of them (the dl software ones at least) paid-for.

I talked recently in a different thread about some "mailbox zero" ambitions - I think they may just have gotten a little closer...

For simple e-mails I will use the Evernote clipper add-on for Outlook 2010, but sometimes it doesn't preserve the format of the e-mail and I will have to forward it to my Evernote e-mail. I think this is Microsoft's fault when they changed how e-mails are rendered in Outlook 2010.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I tried this in the email to pdf, but then realized it doesn't work in Outlook 2010 (Grr!). However, Sperry Software now has a Save as PDF add-in for Outlook 2010. It works well, although for historical messages batch processing is still a bit of a pain to set up (RTM, i think!). It does cost money, but a great way of doing the conversion and saving in EN if that is the way you work.

• Level 5*

Not an Outlook user, but maybe one way around the issue we all fce (getting emails into EN) is to use IFTTT to have your emails automatically sent into your EN account and sorted there with tags and the like. There are certain limitations, but overall it seems pretty convenient, and requires no effort beyond setting up the "recipe".

• Level 5*

I prefer to keep Outlook as my email handling system rather than have everything go to EN. However, I do like to store some emails in EN (receipts, etc) for easy retrieval (Outlook is a little limited ...). I have been using the Sperry Software add-in I mentioned above, and that works quite well (for a beta version). I will be suggesting some improvements to them, but I think I prefer it to the alternatives. If you do the conversion on a regular basis it shouldn't be too onerous. Even the conversion of attachments works well (at least for the files I have looked at. I just wish there was the option to temporarily disable the import folders in EN (or maybe I just haven't found it yet!). I will be posting a feature request shortly.

• 1 year later...

If anyone wants to convert Outlook emails to PDF with attachments they may go for active mode. Because now it’s not matter that solution is free or payable at conversion time of precious data. As we know some of add-on unable to keep attached information and header part of emails (To, cc, IP, from and sender etc) since attachments may be necessary for users to show complete information and header parts of emails essential in legal use. I heard about an application branded as PST Xtractor that can be used in this case to convert PST to PDF with all attachments and header parts.

Product Detail- http://www.pcvita.com/convert-outlook-emails-to-pdf-with-attachments.html

Archived