(Archived) Reorder Notes?

galanwarner

Idea

I've just started using Evernote for books I'm writing, and I can see tremendous application for this, but I'm wondering if there is a way to reorder notes within a notebook in the order I want them, without being restricted to the hierarchies offered (i.e., Notes by Date Created)? I ask this because I like the idea of being able to create notes as tentative chapters, with the contents of the notes being thoughts/ideas within those chapters, then to be able to come back to them and reorder the notes as the flow of the book occurs to me. It appears, though, that I'm constrained to Notes by Date Created, by Title, by Date Updated, etc. I suppose the solution, though, is right in front of me, and I'm just not seeing it. Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5
I'm wondering if there is a way to reorder notes within a notebook in the order I want them, without being restricted to the hierarchies offered (i.e., Notes by Date Created)?

Short answer: No

If you are working with a chapter concept, you could create a Stack (book name) with multiple notebooks (sort by chapter names).

Or you could manually overwrite the Created Date column - I do this for my tasks in the future. You can fine tune it not just to the day, but down to the minute.

• Level 5*

You could also use the subject line in each note with some creative date-style numbering - instead of yyyymmdd you could use chapter/section to "force" a specific order. Like old programming line numbers you could number your chapters 100, 200, 300 etc so you have plenty of room to add in new material. So: typical subject lines would be 10010, 20020 etc. Then - sort by subject, and voila.

Thanks for the feedback/guidance! I sure wish we could just drag the individual notes within a notebook to the order we want them in, with a hierarchy type called, maybe, Custom. Don't get me wrong -- I love EN for my own personal brainstorming, but have to think that would make it even more powerful.

And thanks for the idea of changing the order through a naming convention in the note name -- 01, 02, 03 ... 15, etc. -- but the problem with that, obviously, is that I'd have to change most of the note names each time I reordered them. It would kind of take away from one of the powers of EN, as I see it, in working with and recording random thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback/guidance! I sure wish we could just drag the individual notes within a notebook to the order we want them in, with a hierarchy type called, maybe, Custom. Don't get me wrong -- I love EN for my own personal brainstorming, but have to think that would make it even more powerful.

exactly ! I was trying to mention this idea :) our ideas don't fall under a sequence of anything mentioned in the 'Notes by Title, Created, Updated, Url' etc., our brain has/prefer its own logical order. So drag drop of notes within notebook would be an easy feature programmatically and tremendously useful one. I hope, i am heard ;)

Archived