(Archived) HOWTO: Import folder for Mac

dubainicola

Idea

Hello - I'm new to Evernote, and very keen to transfer a load of existing documentation and some photos on my computer into Evernote.

I've bought the Evernote Essentials ebook, and it's been really helpful, apart from one thing. It mentions using an automatic import folder, where you can put all the docs you want to load in in one folder on your computer, then Evernote will automatically check that folder and load in anything it finds.

But no-where can I find any instructions on how to actually set this up within Evernote?

I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist in Evernote for Mac?! Am I right?

Does anyone have any alternatives suitable for non-teccy people as to the bet way to get my large number of existing files into Evernote?

Many thanks...

Nicola in Holland

12 replies to this idea

I have a Windows box running most of the time anyway, so I've created a Dropbox folder called "Evernote Import", and set this folder as an import folder in the Evernote Windows client. Anything I drag into this folder on any other machine (provided Dropbox has been set up correctly) will be imported into Evernote. (usually quite fast too!)

The great part about this system is that Dropbox will act as a nice "holding" location if the Windows box isn't running. The only trick is to make sure you set the Windows machine to delete the file after importing, and to make sure Evernote is set to sync automatically.

• Level 5*

I have a Windows box running most of the time anyway, so I've created a Dropbox folder called "Evernote Import", and set this folder as an import folder in the Evernote Windows client. Anything I drag into this folder on any other machine (provided Dropbox has been set up correctly) will be imported into Evernote. (usually quite fast too!)

The great part about this system is that Dropbox will act as a nice "holding" location if the Windows box isn't running. The only trick is to make sure you set the Windows machine to delete the file after importing, and to make sure Evernote is set to sync automatically.

None of this works on the Mac client.

• Level 5

The trouble with the Veritrope script - for me - is it treats the files in the folder as to be attached. But that might be fine for others. I'd like text and HTML files to be turned into notes rather than attached to them.

Martin

I just did this using Wappwolf (wappwolf.com) and Dropbox. I created a folder called "Evernote Import" and told Wapp Wolf to send all files in that directory to Evernote. Note: Internet explorer did not work, used Firefox to create the workflow. Now i'll just save the files to that dropbox folder from my Mac.

Do you work for Wappwolf or know much about it? With these terms, I'll have to have good reason to trust the program before allowing it that access.

So...I work for Wappwolf and we are working on new terms. Beside of that we do not save any files - we are just routing and if you are using Dropbox you can choose to grant "limited access" to Wappwolf so we do not have access to more than the /Apps/Wappwolf folder within your Dropbox. GDrive does not support limited access yet.

Regards,

Michael

• Level 5*

I just did this using Wappwolf (wappwolf.com) and Dropbox. I created a folder called "Evernote Import" and told Wapp Wolf to send all files in that directory to Evernote. Note: Internet explorer did not work, used Firefox to create the workflow. Now i'll just save the files to that dropbox folder from my Mac.

This sounds interesting. Are text and HTML files sent to Evernote added as a Note attachment, or as Note text?

Don't know if this will help - I'm running Lion 10.7.4 on an iMac, and latest premium version of Evernote. I had a folder full of png images of book authors I wanted to place on evernote, to share with my fellow family kindle readers. I already had an ordinary notebook set up for this in Evernote, and wondered if I could simply highlight and drag the files from my computer hard drive over to Evernote. YES !! It worked !!! - limitations of 10 items per copy, but it took less time than I imagined.

Archived