(Archived) New User - A Few General Questions on EN Uses

I downloaded Evernote last week and have been using it on my phone, on my home computer (Mac), and at work (Windows). I've found it to be very convenient for some things, but for others, I question why I'm using Evernote in the first place. I'm not here to make any claims or start a heated discussion. I just want to understand the functionality that's offered by Evernote, and frankly, why I'd use it in some scenarios.

I've found it to be quite useful for To Do lists at work. I create lists with checkboxes and it's been quite handy. I also like scribbling down phone numbers and messages that I always used to lose or throw out because they were written on random pieces of scrap paper!

There are a few functions that I don't understand though, and I want to know if using or not using the feature is simply a matter of personal preference, or if I've missed the point altogether.

The first thing I don't really understand is "web clipping". I have the Evernote extension installed at work and at home, but it seems to make more sense for me to just save the bookmark in my web browser - especially if the bookmarks are synced across multiple devices (eg MobileMe, Google Bookmark sync).

The other, is taking pictures as notes. I tried this out last night because I'm moving and our lawyer wanted to know the number on our gas/hydro meters. I took the pic and sent to Evernote via the Evernote email address. It worked fine but then I thought, why not just email it to myself. Failing that, I could even just keep it on my phone as I always have it with me anyway.

The only other situation that's similar is long notes, like taking research notes for essays etc. I have a "research" note in Evernote right now but I've began to wonder if it wouldn't be better just saving that note to Dropbox. All my other files are there, so why fragment my school work between EN and Dropbox?

Again, I don't mean to start a war or anything. I'm just trying to understand why (aside from simple scribbles here and there), I should use Evernote for the reasons above when other methods seem to make more sense. If it is just for the odd scribble, I may revert back to using "Notes" on my iPhone. It's synced on MobileMe to my desktop and to my wifes phone, and to be honest, I find it a bit faster to pull up and edit notes than EN.

• Level 5*

It's horses for courses....

I like to clip articles as then I can read them where-ever I am and if I don't have web access, planes, trains etc...

I generally put photos in Notes when there is text involved and I want to be able to quickly find them.

Evernote's tagging and search functionality (as well OCR) make finding your stuff much easier. If you have 500 photos on your phone, how quickly can you find the one you are looking for as an example?

For me, it's this ability to quickly find things on my iPhone, Blackberry (sometimes, but bloody hell it's a horrible experience) Mac and browser that is the greatest differentiator over the methods you suggest.

• Level 5*
I downloaded Evernote last week and have been using it on my phone, on my home computer (Mac), and at work (Windows). I've found it to be very convenient for some things, but for others, I question why I'm using Evernote in the first place. I'm not here to make any claims or start a heated discussion. I just want to understand the functionality that's offered by Evernote, and frankly, why I'd use it in some scenarios.

Cross-platform access to your notes. Check.

I've found it to be quite useful for To Do lists at work. I create lists with checkboxes and it's been quite handy. I also like scribbling down phone numbers and messages that I always used to lose or throw out because they were written on random pieces of scrap paper!

Usefulness. Check. Kind to trees. Check.

The first thing I don't really understand is "web clipping". I have the Evernote extension installed at work and at home, but it seems to make more sense for me to just save the bookmark in my web browser - especially if the bookmarks are synced across multiple devices (eg MobileMe, Google Bookmark sync).

Bookmarks are fine as far as they go. But the objects of bookmarks change (or vanish altogether), and it can be good to capture the page you're looking at now. Also it can be nice to capture a portion of a page, or a cleaner version of a page (q.v. Readability). Web clipping allows you to do all of this (and it captures the URL too). Also, for the desktop clients at least, it makes information available to you, even when you're not connected to the web.

As best as I can tell, Evernote believes in using tools that work for you. If Evernote works for you, then use it -- the basic service is free. Some uses may not be available in Evernote; if other methods work better, then use them. Their motto is: "Capture anything. Access anywhere. Find things fast." That boils it down pretty well for me.

Regarding web clipping - in addition to what's already been mentioned, I use EN when comparison shopping. If the same product seems a lot less expensive at one site/store, but then you realize it's either an older model or a smaller size or something, when looking closely at the web page, I'll take a screen cap & make an annotation, pointing out the fine print.

Regarding Dropbox - when you get very many files in Dropbox, it's not always easy to find the document you're looking for. In EN, it simply requires a quick search, assuming you've utilized the various tools at your disposal for EN's search engine such as accurate tags, titles, keywords and/or notebooks.

More on the web clipping. When doing debugging for work, I often take screen caps as I work my way along. I often include a screen cap of the initial email where my user/customer defines the problem they are having as well as results of anything I check or change. Makes it nice if I need to refer to something later on down the line. Also, if something else interrupts me while debugging (or if it's a long process & I need to get up to stretch my legs or take a break), it's a nice reminder of where I've left off.

• Level 5

The other, is taking pictures as notes. I tried this out last night because I'm moving and our lawyer wanted to know the number on our gas/hydro meters. I took the pic and sent to Evernote via the Evernote email address. It worked fine but then I thought, why not just email it to myself. Failing that, I could even just keep it on my phone as I always have it with me anyway.

Taking photos can be helpful in several situations. For instance, when you buy something, there is often a serial number and a model number. Take a shot of the info and store it in Evernote along with a copy of the receipt.

And with the camera in some smart phones, a picture will have the GPS locations embedded in it. Evernote can find all other notes and photos created in the same area. For instance, visit a small village in France on a trip, then call up all the notes and photos you took in the same area.

Archived