Is Local Data on Devices Encrypted by Default in Evernote?

Hi all,

I'm interested in understanding Evernote's security measures for data stored locally on devices. Is the data encrypted by default when stored on personal devices like laptops or smartphones? If not, are there options to enable such encryption?

Thanks for any insights!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I'm interested in understanding Evernote's security measures for data stored locally on devices. Is the data encrypted by default when stored on personal devices like laptops or smiartphones? If not, are there options to enable such encryption?

Hi.  Congratulations - you got a whole division of Evernote security interested in WHY you might be interested in the security measures... do you have plans to overthrow the current government in your location?  Are you simply concerned to keep your financial affairs private?  If you are not comfortable with security,  then just don't save some information on line.

On 8/18/2024 at 6:08 AM, DavitJanashia said:

Hi all,

I'm interested in understanding Evernote's security measures for data stored locally on devices. Is the data encrypted by default when stored on personal devices like laptops or smartphones? If not, are there options to enable such encryption?

Thanks for any insights!

When I was using Evernote, I did backups locally.

I was surprised that you can just download any other Notetaking software and just import it all in. All the data is then accessible. Not sure about the actual data file itself.

I have switched since to another bit of software now with secure encryption, so I can put all my sensitive data in there now too.

The main reason was if someone broke into my house and took my PC, they could easily access my data. Even if they somehow accessed my PC online and took the backups, they have access to my data. This day and age, they are getting better and better with state hackers.

Not sure if Evernote has changed at all?

I'm sure you can encrypt it all yourself in many ways but wanted something simple to install and forget.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Every current OS provides a complete encryption of the users data (BitLocker on Windows, FileVault on Mac). Nobody needs little tiny bricks of encryption here and there: Just enable the OS level encryption, make a user account and use the means provided to secure it against illegitimate use (Password, Biometrics, etc.).

Who insists that a local data backup needs to be encrypted can encrypt it as well at file level. Then it needs to be individually decrypted before it can be accessed.

The „concerned citizens“ who insist on encrypting everything should refrain from using standard software at all. There are a few niche products that provide elevated encryption levels, with a corresponding level of usage discomfort.

Who tells he build a secure product without a comfort degration either doesn’t have the competence to see the gaps, or is plain lying.

• Like 1

Notesnook is an excellent alternative to EN with good similarity between many (not all) of the features. I believe the latest version of NN enables local encryption but do read the release notes to be sure it meets your needs. Standard Notes also encrypts data locally. Its structure and UI are different from EN but it's an outstanding platform with reliable offline access for desktop and mobile, which EN lacks at the moment. Both NN and SN have very usable trial/free subscription levels to try them out and good support availability if you need help with setup or using any of the features.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

…. and my data is encrypted locally, together with all of my local drive. It’s decrypted when I sign in, and encrypted by default when the screen locks up.

Opposite to popular belief one encryption on top of another don’t double the safety achieved.