Love transcribe - but am getting Welsh language transcribes back

Dave J M

Idea

I love the transcribe feature….fantastic for verbally outlining a topic, suggestion etc and then

editing the transcribed results down into something a bit punchier and concise.

Except…as of today…. And I have tried this a few times including exiting the app….my spoken English 

results are coming back in Welsh !  

Not sure how to fix this and thought it worth sharing !  
I guess the transcribe works of the language it “ detects”.  I was v clear on my 

later attempts. 

• Like 1

49 replies to this idea

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

That’s why I asked if this happens on all type of devices (mobiles and desktop alike), because this would point at the server. Or only on a specific device, pointing at something local to that computer.

That's what I was thinking but it should identify the language and translate so I don't think it matter where you are, just what language you speak. I've just spoken some French to it in the UK and it transcribed into French.

I've raised a support bug thing.

Yet another support ticket submitted. Last two ignored i wont hold my breath.

EN is now becoming really useful once again but so called support is a disgrace- get a grip if you are reading this.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Back to this thread: It was started to find out why an audio was suddenly transcribed into Welsh language. Any further ideas about it ?

Nope....it is broken, EN "support" either have no idea or do not care. We wouldnt know as yet again so response other than a bottled yes we have your ticket email.

Prynhawn da,

I heard this a couple of months ago but not sure what caused it, it ended up fixing itself.

What app are you on? Are you on the web in or near Wales.

I'm about 6 miles from the border and just tested and English came out.

I have encountered this issue regularly. The Reflectnotes app had a similar problem with Whispersynch, which they resolved by allowing users to select a language and provide a text sample to "train" the app.

Initially, I thought the problem within Evernote (EN) was related to the IP address, but that is not the case.

When I export the audio file and use other transcription apps, it transcribes correctly in English, disproving claims that the issue could be related to my accent (I live 200 miles from Wales).

Currently, this problem renders the transcription function completely unreliable.

I submitted a support ticket four weeks ago, but I have yet to receive a response from Evernote.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Prynhawn da,

I heard this a couple of months ago but not sure what caused it, it ended up fixing itself.

What app are you on? Are you on the web in or near Wales.

I'm about 6 miles from the border and just tested and English came out.

I am actually on holiday in Spain so if anything would have expected Spanish! 
Although I suspect it doesn’t depend on locale / IP as I have done a few more tests 

today and 75% were ok, back to English.

my current theory, for what it’s worth :) , is that the app “detects” from voice and words

and so certain sentences prompt it to think Welsh!  

40 minutes ago, Dave J M said:

my current theory, for what it’s worth :) , is that the app “detects” from voice and words

I think you could be right. My Black Country accent is far removed from melodic Welsh ;)

Enjoy Spain. 

I had exactly the same problem with stuff coming out in Welsh. I'm nowhere near Wales and don't sound Welsh at all, I originate from Derbyshire.

I too contacted Evernote and I too have had no response whatsoever.

I would have loved this feature but have completely abandoned trying to use it as for me it either works reliably or it's of no use to me at all.

As a matter of interest I tried converting to Welsh that emerged into English, using Google Translate, and it still make no sense.

• Like 1

This is odd... @QFieldBoden and @Dave J M can you send me some support ticket numbers and I can try and flag it.

Its possibly the 4th or 5th time I've heard this and haven't been able to replicate it and I'm like 6 miles from Wales so the closest!

16 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

This is odd... @QFieldBoden and @Dave J M can you send me some support ticket numbers and I can try and flag it.

Its possibly the 4th or 5th time I've heard this and haven't been able to replicate it and I'm like 6 miles from Wales so the closest!

Hi Jon/t I have checked back through my emails and I can find no record of my having a support ticket so maybe I didn't report it after all and just gave up in disgust! I did keep some samples of the output in Evernote when I was doing my trials with it and here is a sample of what Evernote sent back to me. As you see it wasn't very helpful!

Helo, fy enw i yw Quentin, ac mae fy enw, Lorina, a fi ynghylch fy mod i'n mynd ar drip i Ffrancia lle rydyn ni'n mynd i edrych ar ôl rhagor o bobl sy'n cael eu cwmni a'u gweithwyr am ddwy flynedd o wythnosau. Rydyn ni'n edrych yn ddiolchgar iawn ar drip hwn, er mwyn fod yn ddau ffyrdd o draethau'n fawr, ond maen nhw'n edrych yn dda iawn, ac maen nhw'n edrych fel bobl da, ac rydyn ni'n gobeithio y byddai'n werthfawr.
Heddiw, yng Nghymru, mae'r fath yn dda iawn, ond yma yng Nghymru, lle rydyn ni'n mynd, mae'r fath yn edrych yn dda iawn, ac rydyn ni'n meddwl y byddai'n dda iawn i ddod o hyd i 28 oed ar y cyfnod rydyn ni'n mynd yno. Fel rhan o'r drip hwn, rydw i'n gobeithio cymryd tandwm titanium, gan dynion rydw i wedi cysylltu â nhw, ac rydw i'n gobeithio y bydd y penderfyniad yn dod, ac rydw i'n gobeithio y bydd y penderfyniad yn dod,

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

For the record I just generated another audio file on my Sony handheld recorder (mp3 file format) and it transcribed perfectly. No idea whether it's been fixed or whether the problem will resurface.

1 minute ago, QFieldBoden said:

For the record I just generated another audio file on my Sony handheld recorder (mp3 file format) and it transcribed perfectly. No idea whether it's been fixed or whether the problem will resurface.

Its all looks very Welsh to me that!! Let me know if it happens again as I'm intrigued by it.

Just now, Jon/t said:

Its all looks very Welsh to me that!! Let me know if it happens again as I'm intrigued by it.

The problem is I'm reluctant to use it for anything serious in case I just end up with Welsh again, possibly with a large important file. My plan was to generate a single voice file during a day and then have Evernote transcribe it into a "diary" entry, apart from other uses. If I just get Welsh back then I've got a voice recording that I then have to transcribe manually. The plan was for the transcribed text to be searchable in the future which obviously the audio wouldn't have been.

On 8/8/2024 at 6:55 AM, AKARJLUK said:

I have encountered this issue regularly. The Reflectnotes app had a similar problem with Whispersynch, which they resolved by allowing users to select a language and provide a text sample to "train" the app.

Initially, I thought the problem within Evernote (EN) was related to the IP address, but that is not the case.

When I export the audio file and use other transcription apps, it transcribes correctly in English, disproving claims that the issue could be related to my accent (I live 200 miles from Wales).

Currently, this problem renders the transcription function completely unreliable.

I submitted a support ticket four weeks ago, but I have yet to receive a response from Evernote.

Can I ask what other transcription apps you use as I'm looking for a reliable alternative? Thanks, Q

Just now, PinkElephant said:

What would be so bad about it ?

You see it transcribed wrong, you discard it. The audio is still there. 

As I said above, the audio alone is not searchable and audio notes that I can't search are useless.

28 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Hello, well I've just done a few more trials and one of them involved reading some text from a book about Northumberland and then asking Evernote to transcribe it. Here is the result, totally useless:

I ddweud y bydd y Northumberland yn y llyfrgell o christianiaeth yma yn agor i drafodaeth, a bydd y rhan fwyaf o'r ysgolion yn rhoi'r rhan fwyaf yn ein lle pan fyddwn i'n ceisio ei wneud. Fodd bynnag, mae'n ddiddorol ddweud bod y gweithgaredd o'r ysgol ar ddatblygu christianiaeth yn anhygoel, a efallai mwy na unrhyw un arall. Mae St Aidan, St Cuthbert, St Wilfred a nifer o eraill yn dal i fod yn lle yng Nghaerdydd Northumberland, ffenomenon efallai nad yw'n eithaf gyffredin mewn ardalau eraill y wlad. Mae'r effaith hefyd o'r Cynoniaid cyntaf yn anhygoel. Roedd St Hilda yn dilyn St Aidan, ac fel Abbes o Whitby, roedd yn ymwneud â'r Synod Gwyllt, lle ddefnyddiodd y fform Romaidd o christianiaeth dros y model Celtic.
Heddiw, maen nhw'n dal i fod yn gwybod yn leol fel Cwddidwcs, sy'n ein gofyn i ni am amser St Cuthbert ar yr Aelodau Ffarn, lle roedd e'n dweud ei fod i'w rhoi'n dŵr. Yn ychydig yn ddiweddar mae'r Normanniaid wedi adeiladu eu priori ar Ffarn Lyndis, yn ymddiriedol iddyn nhw. Nid oedd Christianiaeth yr unig dyddiad i'w dilyn yma, fel sy'n cael ei ddangos gan y temple o Mithras ym mhob Chester, lle oedd y soldiadau Romaidd wedi'u prio. Yn ychydig yn ddiweddar, mae'r cyfeiriadau stôn sy'n dod yn ystod o'r Romaidd, fel y maen nhw i ni, efallai wedi cael eu defnyddio i'r un pwrpas.
Mae llawer o leoedd sy'n sylweddol ddiddorol yn gallu cael eu cael ei ddarganfod o gwmpas y ddinas, o'r well holystone i'r ysgol fach ym Newton Kirk, lle mae sgripti anhygoel yn ddangos y tri ffrindiau sy'n ymddangos gifnau, ond hefyd yn ddangos ciltiau. Yn ymwneud â'r broblemau'r ffordd, roedd y ysgolion a'r abeioedd yn targed ffurf, ac i sicrhau eu hunain a'u ffloc, roedd y ysgolion Corbridge, Embleton a'r Elsdon yn adeiladu towerau pêl gwahanol.
Nid i fod wedi'u gwneud hynny, roedd y mynciau ym Mhrifysgol Holy, wedi cael adeiladau'n adeiladu i'r ffabrig cyffredinol, lle gallwch chi dal i weld llwybrau ar ôl a'r adeiladau o'r barbecyn a'r llwybrau perimedol. Yn ystod y rheffamiaeth, roedd y casgliadau monastig yng Nghymru yn dderbyn yr hyn maen nhw'n ei wneud yn y rhan fwyaf o'r wlad, yn hytrach na phobl Catholig a Protestant yn teimlo'r rôl o lywodraeth ar ôl y rhain o Mary a Elizabeth.
Y rhan fwyaf o'r rhain oedd Thomas Percy, sydd wedi cymryd rhan yn y rheffamiaeth ar ôl y rhain o Elizabeth i adeiladu'r llwybrau o'r blaen a chael ei ddewis yn y ffordd sy'n ei wneud. Fel bod yr Abbeys Gwych o Hexham, Lindisfarne, Brinkburn a Annock i gyd wedi penderfynu ar y rhan o'r Comisiynydd, roedd rhai o'r cyngorau fwyaf yn edrych ar ôl. Roedd rhai o'r cyngorau fwyaf yn edrych ar ôl, o'r cyngorau fwyaf yn edrych ar ôl, gan ddod o'n gemau fel ysgol Buwick, yn ymddangos yn eithaf Byzantin, a'r ystafellau alabaster mwyaf o Sir Ralph a Lady Elizabeth Grey yng Nghymru.
Yn aml, roedd y rhan monastig sy'n cael ei ddarparu i'r digwyddiadurwyr Tudor yn sicrhau bywyd o sefydliadau dynol. Dyma'r cas yng Nghymru, pan ddechreuodd y preseptoriaeth o'r Dynion St John yn 1313 yn cael ei ddewis i'r ystafell fansiyn. Yn y blynyddoedd, dechreuodd rhan fwyaf o'r cyngorau dynol eu rhannu, ac nid yw'n anodd iawn i ffeindio'r gweithwyr ymgyrchu led yn y rhan yng Nghymru, i ddweud iaith John Wesley.
Mae'r methodistiaid, ynghylch y cyngorwyr, y preseptoriaeth a'r ystafellau eraill, wedi rhoi eu rhan hefyd, gyda chyngorwyr a chyngorwyr ymgyrchu o gwmpas y ddinas, gyda gweithgareddau arbennig iawn sy'n cael eu cael yn lefelau fel Wydrington a Belfed. Roedd y pŵer o ddynion yn fwy na hynny o'r monarch. Mewn gwirionedd, roedd y ddynion y ddinas yn rhan arall o'r Prins Bisopric o Ddurhamn ar ôl ystod ystod y 19eg ganrif.

• Like 1

Not very helpful. Send in a support ticket explaining what has happened and attach your logs as well. You can get them from the Help-->Activity Logs section of the top menu.

Once you have a ticket number let me know.

26 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

Out of interest, does anyone know what the limits are in terms of audio files and numbers of words that Evernote can transcribe in one go?

25MB file size so around 25 mins of an MP3.

21 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Not very helpful. Send in a support ticket explaining what has happened and attach your logs as well. You can get them from the Help-->Activity Logs section of the top menu.

Not impressed with having to send activity logs to Evernote when they make it clear that this will include note titles, "some" content etc. Would you be happy about that!

24 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Well I've sent in a support request and interestingly in their reply they do not provide a support ticket number.

• Level 5

They don't provide ticket numbers any more. If they provide an answer (after the automatic, canned response) is an interesting question. I have not received any, although I have been promised a reaction.

There are a lot of transcription services, it's just the additional effort of upload, copy & paste.

For audio I create myself I use the transcription in JustPressRecord.

7 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

Well I've sent in a support request and interestingly in their reply they do not provide a support ticket number.

Easiest way to find it is to go into the help and learning section and top right is view my requests. Click on your request and the URL should look something like this:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/NUMBER

That's the ticket number. Its not normaly needed but I can flag this as a bug and point to the support ticket so they can get more info on what happened.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Strange concept- offer a transcription service to PAYING customers and oddly they expect it to actually work

14 hours ago, Jon/t said:

reported this a month ago NO response......if you have  "the kings ear" have a word please.......

4 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Easiest way to find it is to go into the help and learning section and top right is view my requests. Click on your request and the URL should look something like this:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/NUMBER

That's the ticket number. Its not normaly needed but I can flag this as a bug and point to the support ticket so they can get more info on what happened.

Thanks! I followed this and it did also demonstrate that I wasn't going madeand I did actually report this problem a month ago and have had no reply, which is why I couldn't find anything in my email system.

My TWO ticket numbers are:

Hope these help.

Q

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AKARJLUK said:

Audiopen= just works

Hmm... looks interesting but another $99pa subscription and a 50 files limit that can be uploaded per month. TBH I wouldn't have expected a limit paying $99pa for the service , you?

• Level 5

Personally I think the answer is somewhere hidden in your system settings, deep down.

If you have several devices - does it transcribe to Welsh on all of them, or only (I assume) on your Windows PC ?

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think the answer is somewhere hidden in your system settings, deep down.

If you have several devices - does it transcribe to Welsh on all of them, or only (I assume) on your Windows PC ?

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

all of them same.

8 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

Hmm... looks interesting but another $99pa subscription and a 50 files limit that can be uploaded per month. TBH I wouldn't have expected a limit paying $99pa for the service , you?

the limit is for files uploaded for transcription not recordings made. I think it is worth it i use it many times a day. Each to his own.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, AKARJLUK said:

all of them same.

Big surprise 😮 if you quote a posting twice ….

In fact we would like to see the EN tool working. And why it resorts to Welsh in these cases.

That’s why I asked if this happens on all type of devices (mobiles and desktop alike), because this would point at the server. Or only on a specific device, pointing at something local to that computer.

Yet unanswered …

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, AKARJLUK said:

Yet another support ticket submitted. Last two ignored i wont hold my breath.

EN is now becoming really useful once again but so called support is a disgrace- get a grip if you are reading this.

I've still not had any kind of reply to my support ticket either. I've also started to experiment with AudioPen as an alternative for transcribing audio files and to be honest it is light years ahead of Evernote and is actually reliable. I think I'm just going to abandon Evernote for this function particularly as there seems to be zero interest from Bending Spoons in resolving it. This cannot be down to a local system setting if a number of different users on different platforms are having the same issue.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

I've still not had any kind of reply to my support ticket either. I've also started to experiment with AudioPen as an alternative for transcribing audio files and to be honest it is light years ahead of Evernote and is actually reliable. I think I'm just going to abandon Evernote for this function particularly as there seems to be zero interest from Bending Spoons in resolving it. This cannot be down to a local system setting if a number of different users on different platforms are having the same issue.

have a look at voicenotes- this is a real game changer....watch a few videos on Youtube. This is how EN transcription and AI SHOULD be implemented....despite what those living in the 1970s think.....

• Level 5

About Audiopen: Free is a restricted trial, subscription is 99€ a year. Who needs it, get it.

About Voicenotes: It’s a plain AI environment. Another 10$ a month. Or a lifetime membership for 50$. Which doesn’t compute, but who believes they will still be around then … 

Their website is not GDRP compliant, I doubt their service is.

In general there is a ton of services sprouting up at the moment, all claiming AI as their driver, which is wrong: The are driven by cheap „AI“ money.

Who remembers the last similar frenzies knows: Use them, play around as you like, but better rely on those that will still be around when the hype has cooled and the fresh money supply dried up.

Back to this thread: It was started to find out why an audio was suddenly transcribed into Welsh language. Any further ideas about it ?

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

I guess all I can say is that at least the alternatives seem to deliver something potentially useful, in English rather than something useless, in "Welsh". Whilst the Evernote offering remains unreliable and Evernote Support continue to not respond people like me are going to continue to look for alternatives. Sad state of affairs when we are paying good money for Evernote.

On 8/12/2024 at 4:13 PM, PinkElephant said:

I was using the ausdio as a precursor to using the copy as text. I talk much faster than I type. I also get lots more ideas down that way - then go in and edit the copy amd make it more presentable for sharing.  The audio is not for distribution.  

Well I am back from my holidays - and my last two attempts to use transcribe are coming back in...English !  

So it would appear to be an intermttent issue for me although as others are experiencing it there is clearly a "bug" somewhere. 

On 8/19/2024 at 8:50 AM, PinkElephant said:

About Audiopen: Free is a restricted trial, subscription is 99€ a year. Who needs it, get it.

About Voicenotes: It’s a plain AI environment. Another 10$ a month. Or a lifetime membership for 50$. Which doesn’t compute, but who believes they will still be around then … 

Their website is not GDRP compliant, I doubt their service is.

In general there is a ton of services sprouting up at the moment, all claiming AI as their driver, which is wrong: The are driven by cheap „AI“ money.

Who remembers the last similar frenzies knows: Use them, play around as you like, but better rely on those that will still be around when the hype has cooled and the fresh money supply dried up.

Thanks PinkElephant - great post, let's keep to seeing why "Welsh" language translationsa re coming up and see if we can provide some consistent feedback to Evernote. i doubt they can recreate the problem (or easily) or it is not high enough on tne radar for them.  Overall this fully relaibly working is a great addition to the Evernote tool kit! 

• Like 1

Hey peeps.. Have been using EN for many many years and was super excited to see the new audio transcription feature. 

However, as above, I am also finding random Welsh transcriptions. Sometimes its English, sometimes Welsh. I will continue to be patient in waiting for resolution; however, I have a list of people who would also like to work with me and use this feature. Sadly I cannot recommend it until it is resolved.

Hopefully, Evernote support will pick up this thread and let us know when the fix is due!

Tommy

Iawn, fe wnaethon ni ddod yn ôl i'r cwmbi mewnolol ar gyfer cwmbi mewnolol allweddol. Roedd ychydig o ffactorau y byddai'r fflwyn wedi bod yn broblem, a rhaid i ni ddod yn ôl.
Roedd y tanc mewnolol yn llai na'r cwmbi mewnolol, felly rhaid i ni ddod yn ôl i gyd i sicrhau ei gweithredu'n iawn. Roedd y tanc mewnolol yn llai na'r cwmbi mewnolol, felly rhaid i ni ddod yn ôl i gyd i sicrhau ei gweithredu'n iawn.
Nid oedd y swyddi mewnolol fel y byddai. Roedd rhaid i ni ddod yn ôl i gyd i sicrhau bod y swyddi mewnolol yn iawn.
Roedd y danc mewnolol yn llai na'r cwmbi mewnolol i sicrhau ei gweithredu'n iawn. Roedd yr tanc mewnolol yn llawer. Rwy'n gobeithio y byddwn yn cymryd y broblemau ymlaen.
  • Like 1

10.105.2 is out. One of the fixes is:

Fixes an issue where audio transcription was prone to hallucinations during the formatting phase.

Not sure if it fixes the Welsh transcription as I never had the issue.

3 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Fixes an issue where audio transcription was prone to hallucinations during the formatting phase.

Who know, ‘fraid I gave up on it. I can’t be bothered to keep wasting time experimenting if they don’t even say it’s supposed to have been fixed.

12 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Sadly not- recorded and transcribed short note in Audionotes = English

uploaded audio file (MP3) to Evenote and transcribed= Welsh

Obviously an issue with the transcription "engine" that EN uses.

Same as QFieldBoden  I have given up.

If/When I see 12 months of no reports of welsh I will reconsider.