How to return to last-edited note (Mac)

In older versions of desktop Evernote on the Mac, I could be editing a note, leave Evernote to check something or grab text from another application, return to the Evernote app, and the last-edited note would be on top of everything else.

Now (Evernote V10.98 on a Mac):  I go to another application, come back to Evernote, and I'm back on the "top page" with a list of all my notes and the sidebar. I have to go to "Window" to bring up the note I was working on. 

Is there a preference or setting that always keep the last-edited note on top when switching away and back to Evernote?  Thank you.

• Level 5*

Hi.  No.  However there are 'updated date' searches - "updated:day" will list all the notes changed in the past 24 hours.  Depending on what the edit involved,  other search options might also assist.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-Use-advanced-search-syntax for more.

Alternatively you could just open the note in its own window while you check other resources.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Alternatively you could just open the note in its own window while you check other resources.

This has become a lot less usable with the limit of 20 open windows in Evernote 10.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. To clarify, I do have the note open in its own window. But when I return to Evernote, that last-touched window is nowhere to be seen, and I have to go to the Window menu and select it again to bring the window forward and resume work. Not convenient at all.(and doesn't match how it worked in older versions of Evernote).

• Like 1
On 7/31/2024 at 8:43 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  No.  However there are 'updated date' searches - "updated:day" will list all the notes changed in the past 24 hours.  Depending on what the edit involved,  other search options might also assist.  See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828-Use-advanced-search-syntax for more.

I do have the note open in its own window... But then I go to another app, find a snippet of text or an image, return to Evernote... and the note is not longer on top. I can find it easily enough via "Window" in the menu, but it's extra steps/work to get the note showing again. (In older Evernote versions, whatever window was on top stayed on top...)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Susanne said:

I go to another app, find a snippet of text or an image, return to Evernote... and the note is not longer on top

feedback@evernote.com to ask for something different - we're not in Kansas anymore,  so what used to happen is not longer relevant or available.

Isn't the issue here really that Legacy EN Mac had tabs so notes could be opened in tabs in the main app not in separate free standing windows. Managing windows is more of an operating system issue. I have Windows 11 set up to show the opened app and separate notes in the task bar so it is easy for me to switch to whichever instance of EN I want. I'm sure something similar is possible on Mac.

image.png.15a2f0b889e3f580634a6dad1a7a1451.png