High CPU Usage by Evernote When Idle

Hello Evernote Community,

I have recently noticed that Evernote is using around 10% of my CPU even when it is idle, which seems quite unusual. I have attached a screenshot of my Task Manager to illustrate this issue.

As you can see, no other application on my system, including my Outlook client, which typically uses around 0.1% to 0.2% CPU when idle, comes close to this level of CPU usage. Most applications run below 0.5% CPU usage at idle.

Does anyone know why Evernote might be consuming so much CPU when it's not actively being used? Is this a known issue or is there something I can do to reduce its CPU usage?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
KoZzEN-CPU.thumb.png.6d95d476706f2a5199cc0a59ae480066.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your observation.

I think, High CPU usage when idle is not typical behavior for Evernote. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot. Try checking if any notebooks are syncing or updating in the background, close any unnecessary notebooks or tabs, disable any unnecessary integrations or plugins, and consider restarting Evernote or your system. If none of these steps help, please provide more details about your setup, including your device, OS, and Evernote version, and we'll work together to identify the cause and find a solution!

• Level 5

No idea (as a Mac user …). The problem seems to be restricted to the direct install Windows version.

The only hint I can give you is that other users have reported that they could solve the problem by switching to the Windows Store version

• Like 1

I'm on the direct download on Win 11 and its sitting at around 1 - 2% right now.

It could be indexed things, downloading large files...

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No idea (as a Mac user …). The problem seems to be restricted to the direct install Windows version.

The only hint I can give you is that other users have reported that they could solve the problem by switching to the Windows Store version

Thanks for the tip.

Evernote (direct download version) was constantly using about 25-40% CPU power - even when idle.

I changed to MS Store version: now using 0-1% when idle, 0-25% when open and in normal use.

On 7/21/2024 at 10:15 PM, Zubergdanie said:

Hi there! Thanks for sharing your observation.

I think, High CPU usage when idle is not typical behavior for Evernote. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot. Try checking if any notebooks are syncing or updating in the background, close any unnecessary notebooks or tabs, disable any unnecessary integrations or plugins, and consider restarting Evernote or your system. If none of these steps help, please provide more details about your setup, including your device, OS, and Evernote version, and we'll work together to identify the cause and find a solution!

What do you work for support do you ?

After reviewing the thread, it's evident that this is not an isolated incident. Janndk's machine using over 25% CPU is alarming and warrants attention from support. It's perplexing that the same application, downloaded from different sources, would result in such disparate CPU idle usage.

This unusual situation calls for further investigation.

I'll forward this thread to support for their insight.

Thank you all for your responses - they've provided valuable information to help address this issue with the support team.

• Like 1

Doesn't make any sense if people are installing the version from the Windows Store and it resolves the issue rather odd don't you think , as I'm sure they'll have the same drivers installed .