How do I search for whole words only?

Go to solution Solved by ghoffman,

Hello there,

When I search for:

IT fun

I get all notes that include any word that contains "it" and "fun" - and that's a lot of words (e.g. GIT fundamentals).

According to EN manual:

An asterisk at the end of a word returns results with a minimum of those letters. For example, brav* returns results containing brave, bravo, bravado, etc.

So I would expect that omitting the asterisk would return results with exactly those letters. But that doesn't work for me.

What am I doing wrong here?

10 hours ago, ghoffman said:

How about this?  Combine the trailing space, as gazumped suggested, with a Boolean search.

Search for:

"IT " AND "fun "

is AND really required ( default)?

11 hours ago, eric99 said:

is AND really required ( default)?

You are correct.  As AND is the default Boolean operator, this search would work the same.

"IT " "fun "

However, including the AND makes it easier to understand the search string and you don't have to remember what the default is.

19 minutes ago, Farbauti said:

Add on question:
What is the difference between search for:

fun

fun*

"fun"

From my experience there is none. So why the asterisk syntax?

I get the same results for mason and mason* but fewer results for "mason" (and the same number with a trailing space - "mason ").

I think one of the problems is that if you search for "mason" you will only get notes containing "mason" but it will also highlight words containing mason (e.g. masonry) which makes you think it is finding those as well. Having said that I am getting notes which apparently contain the word mason but Find within the note can't find it! However this doesn't happen if I only look at notes which do not contain attachments so I suppose it is possible the word is buried somewhere in the meta data of the document.