Evernote memory leak

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hello,

So for the past couple of weeks, my PC (Windows 11 with 32GB of RAM) will randomly restart. I started playing with it when I noticed a time when my memory usage just slowly jump up to 100%. I restarted and tried to check who is the culprit. And to do that I waited when the memory goes up and started removing apps that was running. It was evernote.

Link to a video that shows what happens when I shut down evernote.

I've tried reinstalling, then deleting my evernote user app folder and reinstalling it still does it. The video is after a clean install of removing the evernote user app folder and reinstalling.

As you can see in the video the memory usage in windows continues to go up and I waited till it reaches 95% before I shut evernote off and drops down to 54% in seconds. If not stopped, it'll reach 100% and crash the windows system. Also in the video, for some reason even when in the background, was continuously using 20% of my CPU! 

I downloaded the client from evernote's own website and was using the latest build (https://win.desktop.evernote.com/builds/Evernote-latest.exe)

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by msantaka
added details that I was using the latest build
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Try reinstalling using Revo Uninstaller to remove your current app.  Since Evernote downloads a copy of your account to your local device,  it's possible that what you are seeing is simply the extra activity during an account setup.  If so,  it will reduce after a day or so.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately even after using Revo Uninstaller the app still continues to use up RAM until I stop the app. :( I want to keep it running and see if it'll stop after a while. But it won't stop and I don't want to purposely crash my PC. I think I'll wait for newer version of the windows app available and then try again then. 

• Like 1

I'd contact support and send in your logs. I'm on Win 11 with 32GB RAM and EN usually sits at around 2GB usage. It doesn't keep going up.

Explain to them what you've tried so they don't ask you to do it again and download your logs from the Help menu, send those along.

On 6/13/2024 at 12:17 AM, Jon/t said:

I'd contact support and send in your logs. I'm on Win 11 with 32GB RAM and EN usually sits at around 2GB usage. It doesn't keep going up.

Explain to them what you've tried so they don't ask you to do it again and download your logs from the Help menu, send those along.

I waited till a new version came out. I'm now on 10.93.1 and the problem still persist. I'm going to contact support and send my logs.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Another user reported that using the Store install solved the problem for him.

Yes! This absolutely solved my problem. It's idling for 1 hour and there are no increase in RAM usage. Also the 20% CPU usage doesn't exist.

Much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI I found this thread very useful.  I was having the same issue - my RAM utilization would creep up to 100% and the computer would freeze.  It drove me crazy for over a week.  Because the actual numbers reported didn't jive with the utilization.  But I suspected an app was misbehaving.  One thing I've noticed for a long time with Evernote is when I exit it leaves apps open in the task list - they'll creep up till there are 8 or more Evernote apps running.  At any rate, after reading this thread I let my memory get up to around 70% usage (FYI I have a 128 GIG machine so there's no shortage of RAM available) and exited Evernote and manually ended all Evernote tasks in task manager and within about 30 seconds my memory utilization cut to about 35%.  Launching Evernote again began the slow creep of RAM (and instances of Evernote listings in the task manager).  So I used Revo Uninstall and deleted, reinstalled and, time will tell but it seems to be better.  I'm still not convinced its completely fixed and I hope you guys will look into the memory utilization and processes spawned by the app.  I love Evernote.  Not a fan of the too-frequent updates but still a huge fan.  I wonder though if you need to take some time on memory efficiency.  Thanks for the thread - helped a lot!  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It is normal that there are several processes running in the EN group, one called EN and the others EN Helper. This is part of the regular app execution.

When you say some remained when you „exited“ the app: That’s regular behavior as well. You likely clicked on the X top right. This doesn’t terminate the app, it only closes the active window.

To really exit the app you need to use the Quit command from the File menu. This is BTW Windows standard - closing a window doesn’t necessarily terminate an app.

So everything you described up to this point as remarkable is only the regular app execution, nothing remarkable at all.

For the rest: Only other users here. If you mean EN staff by „you“, you are barking up the wrong tree. Issue a support ticket.

I'd like to report the same issue. Two weeks ago my computer started stalling after about 3-4 ours of use. I then realised it was just chocking due excessive memory use (I have 128GB of RAM so it never happened before). I understood it was a memory leakage issue and I decided to go for a clean install to see it was just an app or other stuff. I can report that the problem is clearly linked to the Evernote version downloaded from the Evernote website (I have yet to test the marketplace one). Fully quitting the app released in 30s 78GBs of RAM 🙂 and the computer is stable again.

I will try the solution suggested by another user to download the microsoft store version

Quick follow-up: I confirm that the issue doesn't occur with the Evernote version downloaded directly from the Microsoft Store. I have been watching the use of RAM since this morning and it has stayed around the same value for 7 hours straight

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as described in the posts above with 64GB of RAM.

I reinstalled my PC from scratch (using a Microsoft Windows 11 ISO) and the problem remains the same.
Also tried: uninstalling with Revo and then reinstalling: same result. This problem has only been present for a few weeks (months?).

I will try the version from the Microsoft Store.

Note that I also have the Evernote client installed on a PC with Windows 10, and there are no issues there.

On 7/30/2024 at 6:25 PM, Seereal said:

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as described in the posts above with 64GB of RAM.

I reinstalled my PC from scratch (using a Microsoft Windows 11 ISO) and the problem remains the same.
Also tried: uninstalling with Revo and then reinstalling: same result. This problem has only been present for a few weeks (months?).

I will try the version from the Microsoft Store.

Note that I also have the Evernote client installed on a PC with Windows 10, and there are no issues there.

Tried MS Store version and it works way much better. No memory leak detected since 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably the leak is contained because the Store versions are executed in a sandbox. It’s still there, but the sandbox doesn’t allow it to take over all available RAM.

No such thing on the Mac, so it must somehow be a Windows issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...