How can I prevent # from creating a header?

Go to solution Solved by ecerulm,

Previously I could type #, that will create a header, but pressing backspace after it will undo the "convert to header" and I will get back the # and could continue typing. 

I write programming code snippets often in notes and evernote tries to convert the # (which is usually a comment) into a header.

Any other way to prevent it?

• Solution

Well, after experimenting more, now this works

• type #
  • type <space>
  • that triggers autoformat to header
  • Cmd-Z (undo) 
  • That removes the header formatting and keeps the "# "
1 minute ago, ecerulm said:

• type #
  • type <space>
  • Cmd-Z (undo) 

or just backspace

or just backspace

No, that does not work, that's  why I wrote this post, look at the initial line opening this topic "Previously I could type #, that will create a header, but pressing backspace after it will undo the "convert to header" and I will get back the # and could continue typing.". 

But now that does not work if I type at the beginning of a new line #<space><backspace> the formatting to header is not removed (at least in new Evernote for Mac 10.88.4-mac-ddl-public) 

1 hour ago, ecerulm said:

I write programming code snippets often in notes and evernote tries to convert the # (which is usually a comment) into a header.

I put all my code snipets either in a code block or as inline code. # doesn't create a heading in these

• Level 5

Code block is the best solution - that's what it is made for !

The # will not have an effect either when not followed by a Space, Tab or Enter key. AFAIK a space is not required to identify a line started with a # as a comment.

2 hours ago, ecerulm said:
or just backspace

No, that does not work, that's  why I wrote this post, look at the initial line opening this topic "Previously I could type #, that will create a header, but pressing backspace after it will undo the "convert to header" and I will get back the # and could continue typing.". 

But now that does not work if I type at the beginning of a new line #<space><backspace> the formatting to header is not removed (at least in new Evernote for Mac 10.88.4-mac-ddl-public) 

Sorry, this is another regression, it worked a few weeks ago 😞

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just a thought: It may be connected to the new in note TOC feature, and the collapsible sections. I think there was some new functionality injected in the background, which probably can't be reversed any more by backspacing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Code block is the best solution - that's what it is made for !

The # will not have an effect either when not followed by a Space, Tab or Enter key. AFAIK a space is not required to identify a line started with a # as a comment.

I know about Code block, but it not the best solution at least for me,. I  very often need to further format my code snippets, making certain lines bold and color coding sections , and stuff.  So I don't want to switch to code blocks, I want to use monospaced font and formatting. 

For example I prefer to do this : 

image.png.2c2b2c1ab6d21bc1dae89a7e958c425c.png

than this: 

image.png.3d3f9f8c537a2a5f2498178c06a884c0.png

And many times I do things like this, where I use colors in very specific parts of the code to match something outside the code, so that the "purple" in the list matches the "purple" in the code, etc. 

image.thumb.png.5a4498389149b3da1be78910d9d5b346.png

3 hours ago, Dave Green said:

Undo still works. (Ctl+Z or CMD+z)

Yes, it's the marked solution from a few posts back:

23 hours ago, ecerulm said:

• type #
  • type <space>
  • Cmd-Z (undo)