Recent evernote-backup Sync Errors

• Level 5*

I'm curious to know if anyone else has started experiencing recent errors with evernote-backup.  Today it is throwing many exceptions.  In particular, it will now fail on "contact" content.  These are old business card notes that I haven't updated in years.  I'm surprised they are now causing exceptions.  There are other notes with web images that are causing problems as well but I haven't found a common denominator there yet.

I just installed and ran it in the past half hour. No obvious errors/exceptions. Of course i haven't actually tried to access any of the exported stuff, but it sure seemed impressive!

4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

FWIW, all the notes that I'm running into problems with are all pre-V10.

Support has a whole section now for issues with people going to V10... maybe they have to run something on your database. It seems like most of the people having issues with data loss had notes in the legacy client.

• Level 5*
Just now, mackid1993 said:

Support has a whole section now for issues with people going to V10

The thing is, I migrated to V10 over two years ago and have been using Evernote-backup for over a year.  The backup is automated every week.  It was only today that I started to run into problems.

2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

The thing is, I migrated to V10 over two years ago and have been using Evernote-backup for over a year.  The backup is automated every week.  It was only today that I started to run into problems.

Maybe recreate en_backup.db and see if that helps.

I don't have any issues in my backup logs or when doing another backup just a minute ago.  I do a sync between evernote_backup and Evernote and then an export.  The sync takes very little time.

In your case, have you done anything to cause the old notes to be updated (including just looking at them) that would cause your backup to see them as changed content, or are you doing a whole new database each time?

• Level 5*

I typically do a weekly sync and then a monthly backup.  No updating or even viewing the old notes.  I have recreated a new database and am slowing syncing and fixing the errors it has found.  I did notice a while back that the number of notes it was syncing each week seemed excessive.  I didn't have time to look into it then and since I automate this, I forgot about it.  I should have looked into it then, but I'll continue to work through the notes it is flagging and get back to normal.  Mostly I'm just deleting the notes it is flagging so I'm getting a little database clean up.

There are 2 sad things about this discussion thread:

1. that Evernote still doesn't have an automated backup system in-house and people have to rely on an external way from Github, which is no longer maintained

2. and at the same time, users of a competing system based on plugins from Github are warned and scared that they will have problems with it and Evernote is better because of its simplicity.

I just felt the need to bring it up here so that some forum users who repeatedly bring it up as a criticism of the competing system would realize this.

I will not name the competitive system , so that this thread: does not find when searching here on the forum ..

• Confused 1

And besides, if I try to manually export the notebooks to ENEX, I usually get this, I have to go to that particular note to edit something... and start again...

image.png.341b2fad0ef62df0ffbb275c91a41dde.png

19 hours ago, ferol said:

external way from Github, which is no longer maintained

@ferolNot arguing with your main point, but why do you say it is no longer maintained?  It was updated in October 2023.   It may be that the Evernote API is not being maintained presently (not prioritized), which keeps some things from being fixed, like exporting tasks.

It's also an open source project that is generally feature complete and stable, there are no reasons to update it right now. It would be nice if it could export tasks, but that likely is an API limitation given that tasks are fairly new in the grand scheme of things and also fairly fluid right now.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, ferol said:

1. that Evernote still doesn't have an automated backup system in-house and people have to rely on an external way from Github, which is no longer maintained

2. and at the same time, users of a competing system based on plugins from Github are warned and scared that they will have problems with it and Evernote is better because of its simplicity.

I agree with both statements.  I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make.  

Evernote definitely does need an automated backup system.  It doesn't so some of us use the Github solution.  It's not perfect and it is behind the current state of development, but until the API is updated it is what we have available.  I'm not blaming evernote-backup with the problem I ran into.  The more I think about it, and based on the notes it flagged, it may have started around the time Legacy sync was shut down.  I just didn't catch it ... the downside of an automated system.  I cleaned out or edited the notes that were flagged and I have a complete backup again.  If I was unable to get it to work, I would have just used the built-in by notebook export.  I'm not dependent on the Github solution.

The concern with Obsidian is still valid in that it (depending on the user setup) uses multiple independently developed plug-ins.  Obsidian is one of my plan B's but I would personally be careful about using too many plug-ins.

13 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I agree with both statements.  I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make.  

Evernote definitely does need an automated backup system.  It doesn't so some of us use the Github solution.  It's not perfect and it is behind the current state of development, but until the API is updated it is what we have available.  I'm not blaming evernote-backup with the problem I ran into.  The more I think about it, and based on the notes it flagged, it may have started around the time Legacy sync was shut down.  I just didn't catch it ... the downside of an automated system.  I cleaned out or edited the notes that were flagged and I have a complete backup again.  If I was unable to get it to work, I would have just used the built-in by notebook export.  I'm not dependent on the Github solution.

The concern with Obsidian is still valid in that it (depending on the user setup) uses multiple independently developed plug-ins.  Obsidian is one of my plan B's but I would personally be careful about using too many plug-ins.

The plugins are a huge risk, granted there's also the risk of Bending Spoons breaking something you rely on and taking forever to fix it.