How can I view permissions of a shared note (EN client v10-latest/Win) ?

Go to solution Solved by Farbauti,

Let's pretend I have a shared note.

The note was shared long ago (in v6)

Now I'd like to check who else has what kind of permission.

How do I do that?

Obviously not by clicking on the "shared" icon. Because this does not lead anywhere (despite the tooltip).

image.png.852be39c6b67ecf865a04d4fe703bfcc.png

Are you doing the sharing?

I can click the little green people and see who I've shared a note with and get a public link if its public.

I can also click the share button ad see the same.

You not seeing this?

image.png.c2bce17acb12fce4ff9f1471c08966e0.png

• Like 1
  • Solution
19 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

You not seeing this?

No. As you can see in my screenshot my "share" window is just blank. I don't even my own account there.

But hey, I found it !

It looks like I shared a whole notebook. So the permissions show up correctly when I click on the gray "people" icon in the notebook (list of notes), but not at all on the green "people" icon in the note (even though the permissions are inherited obviously). How stupid is that? I guess it's just another bug in the v10 client 😡

• Level 5

You don’t have shared the note. As you found out yourself you shared a notebook. The note inherits the share from the notebook, as long as it is in this notebook. Move it out, and the sharing stops, without a need to take further action. Move a note into it, and the sharing starts.

It would be a mistake to show the sharing inherited from the notebook in the note. You can share any note individually, in addition to the sharing by notebook. The shares showing in a note are exclusive for this single note, and they will not be changed when the note is moved. Mixing it up with notebook sharing would lead to confusing information.

Think it through - maybe you come to the conclusion that the buggy „product“ is located 60cm in front of the monitor.

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It would be a mistake to show the sharing inherited from the notebook in the note.

[...]

Think it through - maybe you come to the conclusion that the buggy „product“ is located 60cm in front of the monitor.

Well, first thanks for the personal insult (suits you),

Then, why does the tooltip of the note says it's shared, when it's not actually shared (but inherited)? A good product would at least indicate something like "shared via notebook" in the tooltip.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Then leave this less than good product - it fails your elevated expectations.

Would spare us hairsplitting arguments like this one. But if you like hairsplitting, here we go:

The note isn’t shared itself. It is just located in an environment (it’s notebook) that is shared. Moving it out stops the sharing, without a need to do anything to the note itself.

Sharing the note means it’s shared by itself, no matter where you move it.

Both possibilities exist independently from each other. Indicating the share status of the notebook in each note would be misleading.