Penultimate going away??? What's the alternative??

I like Evernote but I LOVE Penultimate.  I use it nearly every day.  I can sketch out ideas and have them organized.

Now I see that it's going away and this does not make me happy.  Is it going to be incorporated into Evernote??

Does anyone have a suggesting on a similar app??

Thanks, Patrick

• Level 5

Penultimate is actually another piece of outdated, unsupported code in the old ENs kingdom.

EN bought it „back then“ as part of a diversification into pen writing, make a bad integration into the EN app, and left it without giving it much attention. If you ever used a modern handwriting oriented app you won’t look back. Unless you own a „Jot Script“ stylus (WTF is that ???).

Personally I use GoodNotes.

For me it creates a note containing an image of my handwriting, and it is searchable. The searching can give false positives!

But a big advantage is that while in Apple Notes, you can highlight some of the handwriting and choose Copy to Text.

• Level 5

As told I just get a shareable link.

Further the handwriting in AN is embedded into a text based note, similar to EN.

Goodnotes has a canvas that mimics a real page, and is graphical from scratch. Text is overlayed as a text box. For handwriting or sketching it is the better approach.

• Level 5*
On 5/6/2024 at 2:25 PM, BubbaPat said:

Does anyone have a suggesting on a similar app?

If investigating other apps, I would suggest checking out Nebo as well.

I have a Wacom Tablet & Stylus, which I can use for handwritten Notes, but I usually prefer to use Rocketbook for the few Handwritten notes I save.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

As told I just get a shareable link.

Further the handwriting in AN is embedded into a text based note, similar to EN.

Curious, I have been doing this for a year, and after the share from Apple Notes a new Evernote Note is in the Inbox with the handwritten note.

Share to Evernote also works like that for me with text Apple Notes.

I initially used Penultimate, but it sometimes goes wrong ...

The original Penultimate was my favorite handwriting app - bar none.  Just a wonderful tool.  Then EN wrecked it to such an extreme that it was mindboggling. 

As an example, in the original version one could zoom - IN PLACE - and have the app track across the page and back, as you wrote.  Much like Zoom boxes on many writing apps now.  But, in place function was so clean.  Tap - Zoom - write - tap tap - zoom out.  You didn't have to move your pen all over.  Same with the inking colors and tips, etc.  All was right at the pen tip.  Then EN for some reason just blew the entire UI up.

Try NoteShelf 3 - it syncs right to EN.  No export is needed.  NoteShelf is a solid app. There are others, GoodNotes, Notabilty, NotesPlus. I don't think any of those sync directly with EN, though.  Not a fan of Apple Notes - pretty clunky for an Apple product.  For example, you can't zoom in on Apple Notes - like, huh??  Basic stuff.  Also, the inking stays separate from any keyed text. Again, huh?

• Level 5

Penultimate was an app acquired by the old EN corporation, eons ago. As it was their habit, they never invested any love into it. The code base probably was still etched in stones. The only "feature" it got was to save pages into EN notes - who calls this syncing has low expectations, since it is a plain picture.

Over the years it developed itself into another piece of technical debt. Good it was removed.

EN is not made for handwriting. The HTML data format used is foreign to handwriting. So get another app, and be happy.