Please stop replacing the equals sign with a glyph

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I saw this today when I was taking notes via the web client. It is really annoying, I do not understand who could think it is a good idea to automatically replace equals and note equals signs with glyphs.

If I enter "!=", I want it to remain "!=" and not something else. The same logic applies to "==": I want it to remain "==". If I wanted to use a glyph, I would use one. Please stop this nonsense.

Below is an example of what I mean, an excerpt from one of my notes. Notice the "=", "==" and "!=" after each bullet point:

image.png.81511b03f2be0329b16192d3bae648a3.png

I am using Evernote Web client on Chromium Version 123.0.6312.122 (Official Build) snap (64-bit).

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  Typing your text in a  standard note body I get exactly what I type;  doing the same in a Code Block gets me the glyph version - after a number of users have been energetically campaigned for automatic styling.  It looks like adding that to code blocks is happening,  but so far there seem to be no related options.  This being a mainly user-supported forum,  all you can do is feed your thoughts back to Evernote or contact Support and find a work around for the meanwhile - maybe use another code editor where you can switch off these glyphs - and attach its files to your note?

Thanks for reply, gazumped

a number of users have been energetically campaigned for automatic styling.  It looks like adding that to code blocks is happening

Another sad day for an average Evernote user.

I would understand if this feature was optional and disabled by default (on the principle of least surprise), but to introduce this for everyone who never asked for it, without an option to disable it, is a bit much.

Shame on the project manager and user experience team at Evernote for making this happen.

• 4 months later...

Enthusiastically agree with this. There is no "≠" operator in any programming language I'm aware of, and the same goes for other inequality operators that code snippets automatically change. Now it's impossible to write the != operator, <= operator, >= operator etc. without having them changed to something that is not valid. This change should really be reversed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/3/2024 at 12:56 AM, Ryan Posternak said:

This change should really be reversed.

Hi.  Opinions and requests to feedback@evernote.com (mostly other users here) - meantime the workaround is to create code blocks in other apps and attach the links or the files to your notes.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Sorry - which change ?

image.png.fd90eea0394d62f2e0320e31e1765b57.png

(Web Client on Safari 18.0)

To me it seems if there is an unwanted replacement, it is either done by the browser, the operating system or any third party app like Text Expander. It is not done by EN. And this was typed into the body of a note, note even into a code block, like this one:

image.png.5ec99e2eae817fc8edf8368316599548.png

• Like 1

@PinkElephant There's two ways to display text as code in EN—one is with an inline code snippet which is created by surrounding text in backticks, e.g. `The != symbol will now become ≠ in this code snippet` and (2) code blocks, which you can shortcut with three backticks ``` (your bottom screenshot). In code blocks, the mentioned symbols don't become glyphs, but in code snippets they do.

Maybe other people use this feature for something other than code, but that's what I've always assumed they are for.

Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 8.44.58 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5

This becomes boring ...

image.png.9d00ee41f284c48aebb1e231712a9096.png

As told I can't reproduce ANY such character replacement from the EN client. If I want to type ≠ I need to hold <option> and press =, ≤ is opt-<, ≥ is opt->. Simple as that, and EN works the same as other Mac apps. The only "special character effects" are those shown in the keyboard shortcuts list, like [ ] for a checklist (here typed with a space in between, which won't work).

50 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Agree - there's no substitution in normal typing and in Windows 11 - I had to find the character map to be able to type it.  If this translation is happening,  it's not Evernote!

I'm afraid I disagree. Inline text converts common coding character sequences into the mathematical symbols they represent. To reproduce type `!=` followed by a space. NB this is a back tick not a single quotation mark.

image.png.aacf527c918f9a6cfeafab7c0e835416.png

image.png.252868808cc30ffb94fa26ead1c78b80.png

Remember inline text is red. If it's not red it is not inline text.  I agree that this does not happen with normal text or text in a code block which is exactly the point that @RPost is making in their second post.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Nope ....

image.png.6c5a3c9ae6f4364ad5f118611e5e14fe.png

Neither with a space, and a return, nor with a space and another backtick. The vertical line is the cursor.

But it's not red so it it's not inline text. And why are your back ticks facing forward? The fact that the ticks are still there is another clue that this is not yet been converted to inline text

To repeat the sequence that works for me

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

To reproduce type `!=` followed by a space.

image.png.d7fc0024a81c6069900c80ffb348726b.png

• Like 2