Evernote closes down and reloads when switching between apps on IOS

Go to solution Solved by JustMatt,

EN Version 10.86.0

iPad Pro 11 - 4th Gen.

iPadOS 17.4.1 

Dear all,

I am facing a problem when switching between apps on my iPad. Almost everytime Evernote closes down and reloads. The same happens, whether I am pressing CMD+Tab or using the swipe up gesture. Even shutting down the iPad and starting it again, didn‘t help.

Has anyone the same, or is this some specific problem I face with my setup?

Have a nice day.

Cheers,

Matthias

• JustMatt changed the title to Evernote closes down and reloads when switching between apps on IOS

Yes, happens to me too. Also loads a little slower than it used to, but once on screen, is fast. As I am often alternating between Evernote and another app, this is slowing me down a little. Perhaps I need to use a split screen method.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Doesn't happen to me. Both on my iPhone 1 Pro Max and my iPad Air 5 the app remains open.

If it closed when switching to other apps this may depend on the device and it's current health.

First iOS assigns a chunk of memory to an app when it is started. This stays reserved for the app. If now other apps are started later, and require RAM as well, it may be the system is running out of space that can be allocated. Then it will close apps to make room. This depends on how much RAM is already allocated, and how much is needed by the app that will be opened.

Second it may be the battery is not healthy any more. This leads to a lower voltage, which reduces the clock speed of the CPU. Energy hungry apps may then close, to protect system stability. You can check battery health in iOS settings.

• Like 1

That's strange.

I mad a soft reset and closed all apps except Evernote and the Settings App and Evernote still closes down when switching between apps.

What's interesting though is that when Evernote is in the Homepage view, it don't closes when switching between apps.

And I believe I found the root cause. Eventhough I have version 10.86.0 installed, it still shows the previous Homepage view and not the new one, which apparently was released with 10.86.0. On my iPhone I have also 10.86.0 installed, and the new Homepage view appears.

Now that I have stumbled across this, I notice, that nearly every time I switch back from another app to Evernote (in Homepage view), for a split of a second a notification popup appears and disappears. After screen capturing it, I found that this is the notification of the new Evernote experience (thus new Homepage view). But it disappears so quickly, that you have no chance to click anything.

Believe that the new install got stuck somewhere. 

P.S.: Battery capacity is at 93,6%

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

So it looks like uninstall / reinstall.

To be sure the old install is completely gone I would do a forced (!) restart in between.

Battery looks fine (critical is below 80%).

Unfortunately uninstall / reinstall - forced restart in between - did not change the behaviour:

After reinstall and opening Evernote - its working on updating the database. After that the previous Homepage view appears, with the splash screen „improvements 10.86.0“. After that it jumps back to the white screen and updating the database again. Then the previous Homepage view appears.

After that the same behaviour unfortunately. When being in Homepage and switching apps - fine. When in Notes view, it closes as previously explained   :-((

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, JustMatt said:

And I believe I found the root cause. Eventhough I have version 10.86.0 installed, it still shows the previous Homepage view and not the new one, which apparently was released with 10.86.0. On my iPhone I have also 10.86.0 installed, and the new Homepage view appears.

The new homepage is for phones only.  The iPad will still show the widgets homepage, which I’m glad about.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

The new homepage is for phones only.  The iPad will still show the widgets homepage, which I’m glad about.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, my iPad app does this, has done for at least a year (including after changing device).  Whenever I jump to another app to copy text and then return to evernote it reloads the note, closes the keyboard, loses my place and wastes my time.  I don't use evernote for research now for this reason, I messaged support about it about 4 months ago, never heard much back so theres that too.