Anybody else finally forced to update?

I went to the odds and ends of the Earth to download Evernote Legacy a couple of years ago and now it's refusing to Sync any notes from my MacBook.

I'm trying to get in to this new Evernote app, but it looks like we can't have multiple windows open? And we can't sort to see all of the notebooks within a stack?

I feel like I need to find another solution. I've been using Evernote since 2013 to write my novels and it used to be wonderful. Now it just sucks and has a terrible interface. Why not just keep things the way they are and not piss off their consumer? The app's reviews look horrible in the AppleStore; I'm happy I'm not the only person not feeling the new Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 4/27/2024 at 2:38 AM, sosomali said:

Anybody else finally forced to update?

The servers were switched off on 23 March,  so everyone has had to make the decision whether to continue with 3+ year old discontinued software or to move elsewhere. 

That sucks. Big time.

The discontinued app still worked better than this trash I’m trying to use now. I’ve looked in to other options but all of them seem too complicated or too simple (not even being able to group/organize notes). I can’t have multiple windows or tabs open in the new Evernote app, editing tables in the app is a pain, I can only edit without a glitch on the web.

The search function is no good, I can’t see all my notes, it takes entirely too long to sync.

I honestly think this will be the end of my writing journey. I had so much anxiety trying to figure out the new version that I didn’t even write a single word in six hours. Stayed up all night for nothing because the interface is just that unenjoyable.

• Level 5

You decide about your subscription. Every time since 2020 when you decided the only supported clients were v10.

Using deprecated software instead was your personal thing, unsupported but possible. The signs were clear this will not go on eternally. Since last year there were warnings all over.

You can decide next time the subscription comes up whether to continue. You could even cancel now, and let the sub expire.

Your decision …

26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You decide about your subscription. Every time since 2020 when you decided the only supported clients were v10.

Using deprecated software instead was your personal thing, unsupported but possible. The signs were clear this will not go on eternally. Since last year there were warnings all over.

You can decide next time the subscription comes up whether to continue. You could even cancel now, and let the sub expire.

Your decision …

I’ve been using my phone as the primary means of writing for the past six months or so. When I logged on to my computer to write and saw that it was officially the end of Legacy, I was truly devastated. It’s not like I didn’t have V10 installed.

It’s always been there, I played with it more than a few times—it just didn’t work for me with all of the bugs. I kept leaving and coming back and the bugs weren’t fixed, so I chose to stay with Legacy where I hadn’t experienced any issues outside of synchronization every now and again. I would rather use something old that doesn’t glitch than a disappointing follow-up that lags, forces me to run it on the web and in the app just to do what having multiple windows allowed me to (basic function btw), has spell check/sizing issue, etc.

EN was persistent and gave me a huge discount for my birthday in 2022 so I decided to pay for the first time. Same in 2023. For 2024, I’m unsure. Based on some of the forums I’ve read so far, it looks like you may only be able to have one notebook as a free user now. I absolutely cannot work without the organization multiple notebooks gives me.

I like you said, it’s been 4 years. EN shouldn’t have the same bugs it did 4 years ago but it does and it’s frustrating. It puts thousands of free and paid users in compromising positions. If I’m paying for a service, my input should be taken seriously. I’m not demanding every little thing be implemented  but they can at LEAST deliver on some things people have been begging for. I don’t think the developers have done a good job of that based on what I’m seeing.

• Level 5*

Evernote is not suffering from all the same bugs it had 4 years ago,  and it has a heck of a lot more functionality.  What version number of Evernote are you currently using,  and what exactly are these bugs that make the application unusable?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sosomali said:

You can check this my list:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s36/sh/92f753bc-f3dc-8aff-d3a6-2f52c41bcbde/5ZdlDSSpa6x9tfRulriUNBkFbrbnwVMyRUN8zRFNzLBSOTshunoljxYv_g

If you write novels as a priority and it's actually just simple text, without any complicated formatting and quantum of appendices, try https://getupnote.com/

Personally, I chose Obsidian, although it's more difficult to learn at first. But for writing simple text without extra formatting it works well for sure. And you can sync for free via I-Cloud if you're on IOS.. I use Dropbox.

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

Evernote is not suffering from all the same bugs it had 4 years ago,  and it has a heck of a lot more functionality.  What version number of Evernote are you currently using,  and what exactly are these bugs that make the application unusable?

Bug

I've always had an issue with the dictionary/spelling/grammar with V10. I'm up to date and still get the errors. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. It's just the app, not the phone or web.

Functionality

I can't have multiple tabs open/switch back and forth easily when I'm editing; I have to keep multiple windows open and it congests my computer.

Created and edited dates are no longer at the top of each note.

Note size doesn't change when increasing/decreasing window size, I have to 'Cmd +/-'

Side bar is too large/cannot customize it. We used to be able to hide the sidebar entirely and only have the Notes List and Note open.

I don't know when my files are synching or not.

Tables are extremely finicky in the computer app, not so much using web.

I don't like how the phone, web, and computer versions all look the same now. Making changes to the home page on my phone should have 0 to do with how it looks on the web and on the computer app. A phone is small you know so I don't need a lot of stuff on the home page. I got rid of some widgets and they were missing from my computer and web.

--

I'm a writer that doesn't need or want frills. I just want to stay organized and work quickly/efficiently. That's why I began using EN in the first place. If those functions were fixed, I would happily pay $130+ for another year. 

5 hours ago, ferol said:

You can check this my list:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s36/sh/92f753bc-f3dc-8aff-d3a6-2f52c41bcbde/5ZdlDSSpa6x9tfRulriUNBkFbrbnwVMyRUN8zRFNzLBSOTshunoljxYv_g

If you write novels as a priority and it's actually just simple text, without any complicated formatting and quantum of appendices, try https://getupnote.com/

Personally, I chose Obsidian, although it's more difficult to learn at first. But for writing simple text without extra formatting it works well for sure. And you can sync for free via I-Cloud if you're on IOS.. I use Dropbox.

Thank you for sharing this!! i'm looking into Notesnook and UpNote now. They look most comparable to Legacy from what I've seen so far. Most of what I do is centered around simple text and tables. Every now and again I'll use photos. I really don't want to leave EN you know? I just need the bare minimum.

• Like 1