Users can now copy anchor links to headings for easier navigation within notes

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Can someone explain how this works.

My undersantding is that this allows you to have a link or anchor that take you to a particular heading within a note?

However when i right clikc on a header i get no such optiont ot create an anchro to that header

Has anyone managed to make it work?

• Solution
38 minutes ago, ken481 said:

Can someone explain how this works.

To the right of the heading is a little anchor symbol. If you click it, the link is copied to the clipboard

image.png.7253d0e2826b60d36ab0ffa998e05063.png

You can then paste that link. Beware though that It is just a link - it doesn't include the text in the header.

Of more use, to me anyway, is to use the insert menu or the / to add a table of contents, This produces a nicely formatted TOC 

image.png.d0da6eff495d1d1de4e7003acd7af0b4.png

The main problem I have found with it so far is that it will not open sub-headings if they are within a folded main heading. You need to unfold everything individually first (as there is no single command to unfold everything)

10.85.2-win-ddl-public (20240416125300)
Editor: v178.0.6
Service: v1.102.1
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

On 4/17/2024 at 1:42 PM, Mike P said:

Beware though that It is just a link - it doesn't include the text in the header.

Yes-  that's the annoying thing about this feature. At the moment it pastes the "evernote:///view/..." link, which is a bit unwieldy and uninformative.
If you want to see the link as text, you have to select the "evernote:///view/..." link, then from the "More options" select from the "View link as" feature, even though this is set as "text", you have to chose "Title", and then repeat that process to set it to display the link as "text"
That must be a bug.Screenshot2024-04-18at3_28_35PM.thumb.png.84e8b15f2fa471448099e431a8ba9bbd.png

8 minutes ago, AdmiralP said:

If you want to see the link as text, you have to select the "evernote:///view/..." link, then from the "More options" select from the "View link as" feature, even though this is set as "text", you have to chose "Title", and then repeat that process to set it to display the link as "text"

You are right, but it is still only displaying the name of the note not the name of the header. This might be OK in some circumstances but I think it should display the text of the header (like the TOC does) or possibly the name of the note and the header.

It depends how people end up using the links. I think a link in a different note that contains the name of the note and the name of the section it is going to take you to, would be a really nice feature. At the moment an anchor link copied to another notes simply behaves the same as a normal link - it takes you to the note but doesn't scroll down to the correct section.

So my concluson is that the TOC works (provided you unfold everything first) but I'm strugling to see the benefit of the anchor link feature, although I hope this is still work in progress.

This is a BEAUTIFUL thing- they finally brought back a feature that was a big deal in Legacy. Here's how I will use it-

I use an EN note to store all data about a service call for my company. I have 6 different sections that contain data. Depending on the amount- the note can get quite long. I have created a bar at the top of my note. Each of the sections isw formatted as a Medium Header. I have then created links for each of those sections and now I can jump directly to that section without having to scroll. WONDERFUL!

anchor links example.PNG

10 hours ago, EricLorenz said:

This is a BEAUTIFUL thing

Yep - see below how I'll use it...

10 hours ago, EricLorenz said:

they finally brought back a feature that was a big deal in Legacy

Oups - how did you achieve it in Legacy (where we had not anchored links...)?

Here's my use case:

• In longer lasting activity notes I start every new event (phone call, discussion, ...) with a short headline (always on top of the note)

image.png.085e7e39a31927eb60dddc89e9f60b4e.png

• Before EN10 these headlines where simply bolded text - now I'll convert them to small headlines (H3), which enables me to collapse all text below. This would save some space and would act like a TOC:

image.png.acfb4ab4cd2b72cea0cb678532f94b07.png

• Since the real TOCs came up, I do not collapse the section but go to top of the note and insert a TOC with the /-command and change the numbered list to a bulleted one:

image.png.5ae3adea6e65694bc4920644a5bd40ac.png

• This again saves (much) space on my screen and shows the complete story most often on one page. Clicking on a line moves me directly to the desired subsection...

But beside all joy with this new feature, I have some wishes for the future:

• TOC lines should use text decoration from headlines (bold, italic, underline, colour)
  • URL format should be configurable (no underlining, no fix colour, ...)
  • TOCs should be dynamic with automatic updates...
    • if headlines' text changes
    • if headlines are added
    • if headlines (with sections below) are moved
    • if headlines are deleted

I know that this can't be done with the current implementation because the /-command simply generates a "TOC" by inserting approriate anchored links to the current editing position. I wonder why EN used this poor methodology - seeing that other editing systems (incl. competitive apps) use special TOC-blocks with configurable properties:

• A TOC block is a placeholder that might be moved around the note (or even to other notes)
  • Because it is known as a TOC, the system is able to change it's content on request (i.e. if headlines change)
  • Within a single TOC block, it might be possible to attach special display properties this this block instead of using global TOC settins (font, list type, coloures, ...)

Too bad... (or @Federico Simionato - is there a chance to get it later?)