Did line spacing just change? EN 10.84.3 Windows

In my case the changed line space, or more precisely change from "changing a line" to "paragraph change", had a very negative impact on my workflow. I copy a lot of text from app to app - often as unformatted text - so it does matter if there is or isn't an empty line between paragraphs.

Also all simple lists are now much longer, with unnecessary extra space between.

And then there is the question of missing communication, or maybe even misinformation? Bendings Spoons respects its customers so little that they don't even care to tell what the situation is. Are they going to fix it (as promised three months ago) or not? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

That's IMHO an unbalanced comment.

As you should know, any "appearance" issue follows a statistical distribution. There is no common ground, when you move it to the middle, people from both edges of the distribution curve will show discontent. Move it to either end, you may soothe those on that end, but get more critics from the other.

This is not a voting thread, so we have no poll. From watching at the thread and the opinions, most (I mean the vast majority) of users didn't probably even notice. Of those who do notice, only a part doesn't like it. 

Hardly anything to take action.

Coding options into everything would create one of these text editing monsters (MS Word, you hear me ... ?) that simply don't make sense for a notes app. Watching at the competition, this seems to be rather common ground - there are plenty that even refrain from a classical editor, going down the markdown road.

If somebody can't stand it, look for another app that fulfills your formatting needs, than asking for a bloat of the existing one.

This is my personal opinion: Just keeps things as they are. Remark: I don't understand the change they made a few months ago. It was not necessary and just sparked one of these discussions that don't add value to the use of EN.

Just wanted to respond to a few things here. I tread lightly, as I'm a Level1 EN user. I rarely participate in this forum because EN serves the purpose for which I use it. Regardless of the bells and whistles Evernote adds, it keeps doing what I want it to do, i.e., provide a place for me to take notes that are accessible on my iPad, phone, and computer; enables quick webpage downloads for later reading or just for saving; organize my thoughts through the use of easily manageable TAGS; keep vital information in an easy to access place, etc. 

But when EN changed the leading within a paragraph and between paragraphs, it changed the way I type and read my notes. It's an ongoing distraction. To say that most "users didn't probably even notice" begs some questions. Did they not notice or not bother to say something? Do they use it often enough for it to bother them? Are they suspicious that EN would respond to their requests? I don't know if we can answer those questions decisively. 

Any leader or company seeking to serve its clientele believes that you don't need a massive number of people complaining in order to make changes. You want to serve as many as you can. In this instance, a change was made that seems to have gotten the attention of more than a few users. Seems the right question would be, "Can we serve these people and remain true to our goals to continue improving the app?" I think the answer is yes. 

When you say, "look for another app that fulfills your formatting needs, than asking for a bloat of the existing one" it seems you're presenting an unrealistic choice and an overstated effect. First, the unrealistic choice. I have 11k notes in EN, which isn't a lot compared to some users. But an ample amount. Transferring what I have in EN to another app would be extremely cumbersome and time consuming. And as far as I know another app wouldn't contain all the features I like with EN.

Second, the overstated effect. I don't write code. I'm a musician. But I don't think asking for a toggle for leading choices is "bloating" the app. We're not asking for Microsoft Word here. We're just asking that we have the option to see line spacing the way it's been for years.

I have no doubt that you have reasons for advising EN to leave things as they are. But if they had done that in the first place, we wouldn't even be having this conversation!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only watched Federico's video on the latest update once, but he leads with a discussion on notes and formatting and I believe he pretty much discounts our concern. I'm I wrong? Please tell me he hasn't discounted our discontent on Evernote's formatting on notes.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kperer said:

I've only watched Federico's video on the latest update once, but he leads with a discussion on notes and formatting and I believe he pretty much discounts our concern. I'm I wrong? Please tell me he hasn't discounted our discontent on Evernote's formatting on notes.

Can you provide a link to that video?

There was a notification and this update from Federico 👋 when I updated Evernote on my desktop.

I would like to reiterate that the line spacing is a real problem. I'd like the option to revert to previous line spacing. I'll try to look forward and not focus on the fact that all my notes have been reformatted. I'm lucky because I've always taken screenshots of my work and nothing is lost. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I don't know what drove the change and don't deny that some are affected by this and view it as a flaw, but as a counterpoint, there are others that don't see this as an issue at all.  Personally, I didn't notice the change until it was pointed out in the forum and after comparing the difference, this one is a shoulder shrug for me.  I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong.  I prefer denser data personally, but I am seeing this UI change in many apps and am grudgingly accepting it.  I guess if this was truly a show stopper for me, I would see if there was something out there that better matched my needs.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kperer said:

Hmm. “We adjusted the line spacing…and the response has been amazing.” Well, I guess they didn’t hear back from everyone.

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, bkauflin said:

Hmm. “We adjusted the line spacing…and the response has been amazing.” Well, I guess they didn’t hear back from everyone.

Would someone please provide a link to the thread where the line spacing is being praised I'm having trouble finding it...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kallagh said:

Would someone please provide a link to the thread where the line spacing is being praised I'm having trouble finding it...

Since they don’t seem to have a presence here, they likely collected input elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Kallagh said:

There's no link that I'm aware of, just a comment in this video. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Very long-time Evernote user here. I'm following this thread for quite some time, and I'm also eagerly awaiting to have this fixed.

I'm not against improvements or new features - I find it a good thing that Evernote is ramping up to stay ahead of the competition, but this line spacing issue is simply just too annoying. Hope that the Evernote team keeps up their promise to have it finally fixed shortly, and hope that this will help to bump up the priority of this issue as it's taking way too long now.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 6:22 PM, Federico Simionato said:

We're fixing this soon. Likely in a week or two.

@Federico Simionato lots of people in here would like an update on this - including me. Confusing the way you've said you're fixing this "soon" - so you've acknowledged a (presumably unintentional) problem and said you're going to fix it - but then nothing for 5 months..

Can you confirm if you are going to fix this or if you've decided to leave it as is?

I would personally at the minimum want a setting I can change to put the line spacing back as it was for me as I find the increased line spacing wastes screen space.

Thanks!

• Like 4
On 4/22/2024 at 11:22 AM, Federico Simionato said:

We're fixing this soon. Likely in a week or two.

@Federico Simionato Could we get an update on this issue? Lots of people commenting on wanting a fix or an update but we are not getting anything from Evernote on this. As many have said, the extra line spacing is causing a lot of issues whether it be their notes look chaotic, wasted screen space or making it almost impossible to view on a phone. Hoping to hear from you or Evernote soon.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
13 minutes ago, Nesav132 said:

... is causing a lot of issues whether it be their notes look chaotic, wasted screen space or making it almost impossible to view on a phone. 

None of this applies to me - and even if, it is all plain cosmetic.

There are serious functional deficiencies that need to be fixed. Not a single dev hours should be wasted on making things neat and tidy, as long as serious business is waiting to get attention.

• Like 2