Why does "show as title" not work?

The setting you applied doesn't behave like it used to in legacy. It is not a switch "how to display the attachments" in general. It applies as far as I can see only at import time. Among the attachments, PDF-s seem to be the worst in this respect.

1. Set the option to "Title".
  2. Open a new note, drag & drop a PDF into it.
  3. It should show only the title.
  4. (Regrettably, the above doesn't seem to apply to the automatic import from the import folder).

Existing attachments don't know about this setting, i.e. it is not applied at display time. This is a malfunction in my eyes, but you will hear arguments here in the forum that it doesn't take long, just a few seconds, for each file attached, to kick it into "Title only". I don't subscribe to that appeasement view, I have many hundreds if not thousands attached PDF-s, so to me this is a bug and I have reported it already (to no avail, of course). 

If you find it disturbing, too, report to EN: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

And be very patient. Mine is 6 months old and nothing happened as yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

To be more precise, the setting at import time is applied. Exceptions are large files (will not show „all pages“ even if set), and changed settings per document. A changed setting will be remembered when opening a note the next time.

If the general setting is changed, the new setting will be the standard for all new content.

• Thanks 1

So it's just another deterioration of the client :(😡

in v6 I could choose "show inline" or "show title" and it worked fine. Now in v10 this setting is simply ignored?

And clicking each and every PDF is no option for me: For once it takes ages (b/c the amount) and also this switch updates the "last edited" date and messes up any history/sort order.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If the general setting is changed, the new setting will be the standard for all new content.

It doesn't work like that for me. PDFs from the import folder ignore the setting, as I wrote above. 

4 hours ago, Farbauti said:

So it's just another deterioration of the client :(😡

I agree, it is indeed. And I maintain that it is a bug. No amount of white-washing can make this a "useful feature". 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

It doesn't work like that for me. PDFs from the import folder ignote the setting, as I wrote above. 

Sadly it is not just the import folder.

• Dragging a pdf to the note list creates a new note with the attachment  (in that notebook if you are in a notebook) but does not respect the pdf view preference set
  • pdfs captured with the webclipper do not respect the preference
  • pdfs sent to EN via the "send to" in the windows file explorer do not respect the preference.

So that is 4 out of the 6 ways of adding a pdf to EN that I routinely use that do not respect the preference I've set. For the record adding a pdf directly to an existing note, by (1) drag and drop or (2) insert attachment do respect the preference.

Thanks @Mike P,

but beware that will be interpreted as "a  whole third works as advertised" and nobody needs more than a third 😂

We need to accept that V10 is "different" (newspeak for "buggy as hell").

• Like 1
  • Haha 1