Evernote Web Version can not open attachment directly

Just noticed that in the web version of Evernote attachment cannot be opened - unlike it does with the desktop version.
The attachment has to be downloaded before it can be used in the respective application.
This is unfortunate because this way the attachment and the note are not linked anymore.
Making changes in the attachment requests to reimport the attachment file into the Evernote web version.
On the Evernote desktop version it works like a charm!
Your question will certainly be: Why do i use the web version?
Because i am also using Evernote on a Linux platform and Evernote has stopped the support for the linux desktop version.
So in that case it remains only the detour thru the web version - which would be ok if this attachment thing would not be...
Thanks for your kind help.

Maybe this is specific to your particular browser? I work alot with web and e.g. pdfs or pictures can be displayed within Evernote. For modification you can click on "Modify" (pencil symbol above pdf when you click on this, see below) and it can be annotated  as you wish.

image.png

Thx gon!
it works always with PDF, Images, etc.
But with specific APPs as you can see in my shot below there is not sign of "open"...
As i said only in the web version!

image.png.234ebcc3025d87ce6696c06969ac6f7d.png

• Evernote Expert

This sounds like a browser setting.  Be sure that the xmind files are set to open automatically within the settings of your browser. PDFs and image files ar generally set by default but something less common will generally need to be configured.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Browser environments are usually curtailed so that internet-based applications have only limited access to the host device's software for obvious reasons.  Don't know if that's relevant,  just sayin'

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Browser environments are usually curtailed so that internet-based applications have only limited access to the host device's software for obvious reasons.  Don't know if that's relevant,  just sayin'

Yeah - especially with regards to the "This is unfortunate because this way the attachment and the note are not linked anymore" part. I think that Evernote could possibly open the attachment directly in the target application (but could be a huge technical lift and collaboration*), but it would be nigh technically impossible (as far as browser sandboxing goes) to allow the native app to make a change to the attachment and have that attachment automatically updated back to the web app.

*Even opening the attachment directly in a native app could also be quite difficult. I've seen this happen in two cases that I can think of off the top of my head: Zoom meetings and MacOS App Store. But in both of those cases, the owner of the site was the same owner of the app. Seems like it would be technically difficult, but I don't know. I just haven't seen it that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1