Deleting Images from Note

I have a form that I fill out on another app and then I copy it to the clipboard and paste it into Evernote as an image. I review the form regularly and make changes. I have previously deleted the image from the Note and replaced it with the new image. Since the changes for ai, I have been unable to delete the image from the Note and replace it with the updated image.

Please, advise me where to find instructions to delete the old image in Help and Learning or the Forum so I can again delete my image and replace it with an updated image rather than having to recreate the entire note, put in the updated image, and then delete the entire old note with the old image.

• Level 5*

I'm assuming you're not actually a Teams (business) user,  so how about sharing your device, OS and Evernote version,  and providing an example screenshot.  I can easily add new images to my notes and delete old ones,  so I really don't yet understand your issue...

The Note is "partially" included due to privacy there are only two lines of the Note. The part that is surrounded by a blue box is the image --- a clipboard copy of the form from another program. What is surrounded by the blue box has not been deletable since ai has been applied to the images. I need to be able to delete it as the information changes frequently so I can replace it with a correct copy.

If you need further information, I will be happy to provide it.

Thanx!

Screenshot 2024-03-25 195303.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Shadow9 said:

What is surrounded by the blue box has not been deletable since ai has been applied to the images

Thanks for the screenshot - which leads to the question: how was ai 'applied' to the images?  (and how are there multiple images - this just looks like one image)

Oh and...

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

device, OS and Evernote version

?

I believe the issue the OP is stating is related to the Thumbnail image for the Note that is shown in the List View is not being updated when the image inside the Note is changed/replaced. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Steps to Recreate the "Non-Updated Thumbnail" Issue:

1. Create a new Note, add only ONE image (call this Image A), close Note (i.e. switch to another Note), then check the Note in the List View and will see the thumbnail for Image A.

2. Edit the previous Note, delete the image, close Note, then check the Note in the List View and will see that there is no thumbnail displayed.

3. Edit the previous Note again, add a different ONE image (call this Image B), close Note, then check the Note in the List View and will see that the thumbnail is for the WRONG image - it is now showing the original Image A in the thumbnail, not the new image B that is now in the Note.

As a (crappy/not efficient) workaround, I create a Duplicate of the Note, which will now have the thumbnail for the new Image B. If required, I recreate all the backlinks to the duplicated Note, then delete the original Note. As I said this is a crappy and very inefficient workaround, but it does correct the thumbnail issue.

Note: For me, this non-updated Thumbnail issue has been around for quite some time (since the beginning of v10). And this issue occurs in Windows Desktop, iOS iPad, and iOS iPhone versions of the v10 app.  In previous V6, I was able to do some kludgy things with my images in a Note to manipulate/force which thumbnail is used for the Note. Alas, beginning with v10, I can no longer do those things.

• Level 5

This may or may not work. We tried a lot of thumbnail workarounds about 2 years ago. The conclusion we have reached was the only way to control a thumbnail is to place exactly this picture into a note, leave it there and never add another one. As soon as there are more practices, results become unpredictable.

There is a rather old thread (from 2011) asking to allow to choose the thumbnail. As we know, we haven’t got it yet.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

This is a rather old thread (from 2011) asking to allow to choose the thumbnail. As we know, we haven’t got it yet.

From what I can see, this particular thread was just created 20 hours ago ...?

image.jpeg.775a5b555f55609eb7ac56ae762231a8.jpeg

Just now, PinkElephant said:

This may or may not work. We tried a lot of thumbnail workarounds about 2 years ago. The conclusion we have reached was the only way to control a thumbnail is to place exactly this picture into a note, leave it there and never add another one. As soon as there are more practices, results become unpredictable.

Agree ... still waiting patiently (as in "expect it never") for thumbnail choice 🙂

NOTE: I use the Web version which is kept up-to-date; my Windows version is 10.81.4 and works the same as the Web version. My OS is Windows 10 and I am an Evernote Personal Member.

I have used this same note for several years. During that time, I deleted the image (thumbnail) and replaced it by pasting in another image.

The last time I edited the note was in January and was able to delete the image and paste in an updated image. During that time, the image was not editable by AI. That is why I *assumed* that AI is the reason it is no longer deletable.

I solved the problem by

1) copying all of the current Note sans the image  to a new Note;

2) deleting the current note;

3) pasting the new image into the new note.

4) since it was a shortcut, I also needed to shortcut the new note.

So, I have been able to do a workaround, yet it was SO MUCH EASIER to just delete the image and paste it in thus replacing the old one. I do not want to edit the image, I want to delete and replace it.

Is that a lost action? If so, has it been added to the *fix* list?

I really don't think that my note was corrupted (unless all of the notes were). I used to successfully cut an image and paste another one in a note regularly. The one I used as an example was only one note of several that I used to delete the image and replace it by pasting another image in its place. This was an action I was able to do in any note until the AI was applied sometime between January and when I needed to replace the image in March.

I regularly make forms in another program and use them to print copies for distribution to others. I then take a picture of the form and put it in a note in Evernote for documentation. The sample image I used as an example was created in WordPerfect to be printed out for distribution to doctors and other medical professionals. Since it is a list of my medications, it changes frequently and I need to update it. When I do, I want my documentation in Evernote to reflect the change. The note in Evernote is a compilation of all critical information that applies to my medical history, including the form listing my medications. I don't want to update it in two places as that leaves me open for multiple errors between the files. To avoid the errors, I copy and paste the primary form. If I can't do that anymore, that means many more steps to keep a clean and updated record.

In my world, by Evernote updating to AI a simple procedure was broken that I was using on a daily/weekly basis. I'm now retired, but when I was working as an application programmer I did the same thing when I updated the application I was working on.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Shadow9 said:

an action I was able to do in any note until the AI was applied

Hi.  AI features are not applied to all notes at any time - if there's an issue with an image it's not AI-related.

• Level 5*

A great light dawns...  That AI edit option pops up when you have selected enough content that the AI could - if you wished - suggest a different layout.  I'm still 99.9% sure that it would have no effect on you manually editing the selected area in any way that you wish,  including changing images.  But you'd need to contact Support (who are currently "a little busy") - and be very patient - to get more on this.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new