Evernote very slow if hardware acceleration is enabled

Hi,

I am creating this independent topic regarding a problem mentioned in this topic, namely that Evernote is extremely slow, and even unusable on my PC when hardware acceleration is activated.

The problem is that the option to disable hardware acceleration is no longer present in new versions of Evernote, which forces me to use an older version to be able to use Evernote, 10.66.5.

Here is a copy of the results of my performance tests that I published on the other topic:

In short, following your message I did speed tests, both on my laptop PC which is the one where I mainly use Evernote, and also on my faster and more recent desktop PC, but which is unfortunately not the one on which I use Evernote daily.

FYI I have 26740 notes, and thousands of tags and my internet connection is ADSL1 (8Mb/1Mb)

Evernote 10.73.4 (hardware acceleration enabled) on my laptop PC CPU Intel Core i5 4310U GPU Intel HD Graphics RAM 8 GB SSD

• note creation 12s 14s 20s 17s 43s and the window does not respond 
  • note display note panel 7s 5s 3s 3s 8s
  • open in new window 16s 9s 8s 8s
  • paste image 5s 5s 3s

Suffice it to say that it is very difficult to use in these conditions 😓.

Evernote 10.66.5 (hardware acceleration disabled) Laptop PC CPU Intel Core i5 4310U RAM 8 GB SSD

• creation note 4s 3s 3s 3s
  • note display note panel 2s 1s 3s 8s
  • open in new window 8s 5s 4s 5s 8s
  • paste image 1s 1s 1s 1s

I've been using Evernote at this speed for years (the move to v10), it's not very fast but I try to be patient 🧘.

Evernote 10.73.4 Desktop PC CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics RAM 16 GB

• creation note 1s 1s 1s
  • note display note panel 3s 1s 1s 2s 2s
  • open in new window 2s 1s 3s 2s
  • paste image 0.5s 0.5s 0.5s

I tested the desktop applications or store, the same results.

Evernote Legacy 6.25.3.9348 Desktop PC CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics RAM 16 GB SSD

• creation note 0s 0s 0s 0s
  • note display note panel 0s 0s 0s 0s
  • open in new window 1s 1s 1s 1s
  • paste image 0s 0s 0s 0s

As you can see, this activated hardware acceleration thing doesn't please my laptop at all and makes the application difficult to use.

But I also noticed that apart from this problem, the performance of my laptop means that Evernote does not run as well as on my faster PC.

Evernote is greedy. The thing is that I don't have any plans to change my PC for the moment, but maybe adding RAM could help a little, finally if the hardware acceleration option problem is solved...

And here is the latest response I received from Evernote regarding the issue:

2 mars 2024, 18:25 UTC+1 

We understand how frustrating it can be when something isn't working as expected and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Rest assured, your concern has been noted and reported to our developers. While we may not have an immediate solution at hand, please know that we're working hard to prevent any such issues from arising in the future. Enhancing the user experience of Evernote remains a top priority for us. 

We truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this. Your feedback is invaluable to us as it helps us improve our product and provide a better experience for all our users.

If you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

So I still don't have a solution to my problem and today I just received another email from Evernote telling me that my subscription was going to increase.
A year ago it had already increased from €29.99 per year to €49.99 per year, and now it goes to €99.99 per year.
Between my big problems with slowness and the big price increases, it's difficult for me to be satisfied with Evernote :(

• Level 5*

Hi.  Since v10 has to set up a new local management system on your device and download your entire database it can seem slow at first.  If you leave Evernote active for some hours after updating it will catch up.  If it's still slow after that,  there's probably something wrong with the installation.  Mine works effectively on a 10-year-old laptop.

The latest version is 10.80.3

I should have clarified: I have been a user of Evernote since 2011 and version v10 since 2021.
My problem is not linked to a recent installation of v10, my database is completely downloaded and I have already several times completely uninstalled Evernote with Revo to recreate my database.

• Level 5

We have several threads her about the same issue.

From my analysis the core (LOL) problem here is a weak 2-core extremely energy efficient Core i5 from 2014, Haswell design. It will be quickly saturated if the PC is used with several apps in parallel.

OP can ask support to return the hardware acceleration switch (which from his experience he needs to turn off). Apart from this there is the web client, and only keep those apps active that are really used. Any CPU demanding tasks (or tasks that would need a faster GPU, and try to emulate this on the CPU) will bring this PC to it‘s knees fast.

In my testing, I tried using Evernote Windows alone without other apps and the problem was the same (and I also watch out for auto-start apps).

I also think the web version of Evernote was causing the same high GPU usage issue, but I'm not sure. In any case, using the web version is not an option for me, as I was already having trouble switching from the native app to the Electron app...

I think there may be a bug that causes heavy GPU usage when hardware acceleration is enabled, perhaps specific to Intel HD graphics GPUs like the one I have.

Evernote should dig a little deeper into my problem, I think, to maybe find the cause.

• Like 1