Failed to import

I’m having issues scanning directly in Evernote professional running on windows 11 using scansnap ix 1500 since update. Keep getting failed to import error. I even called scansnap and they couldn’t figure out why. Anyone have a solution?

• Level 5*

Sounds like a common fault already discussed here - the instant a file is visible to Evernote,  it's selected to be attached to a note;  whether the scan is complete or not.  Windows and the scanner software tend to object.  No way for Evernote to detect when the scan is finished (Windows file-locking issue) so the solution is to scan to a desktop folder,  do any housekeeping / renaming etc,  then move the file to an Import Folder connected to your account...

Create import folders

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

No way for Evernote to detect when the scan is finished…

True. For this reason some other apps offer a delay that can be set in options. If set to, say, 5 seconds, the actual import starts 5 seconds after detection.

That way, there are no such problems.

Evernote could easily implement this feature, it doesn't need AI or any of the advanced stuff that tends to introduce 5 new bugs.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

Evernote could easily implement this feature

I bow to your superior knowledge of Windows and Elektron coding.  I'm sure they'll take this easy solution on board.

I can read the sarcasm, @gazumped. The beauty of this admittedly primitive fix is that it doesn't know a thing about Windows or Electron. It just solves the problem with premature imports.

But perhaps it is not possible to delay an action by a certain amount of time in Electron. In that case, I rest my case 😊.

Well, what one can do, though:

The wonderful file syncing app (on Windows) FreeFileSync (recommended) come with a little app called RealTimeSync. If fires up almost any kind of script if a folder is changed (e.g. new file appears in it), or an external drive is attached…

One could put RealTimeSync in Autostartup and have it watch the target folder for scans. If a new file arrives, the script (Windows batch file) would wait a few seconds and then copy the new file to the Evernote import folder. I haven't tried it, but it should work, if anyone is desperat enough.

That's the new trend with V10. A number of features are gone and if you need them, you have to programs little scripts in Autohotkey, RealTimeSync etc. to do the job outside of Evernote.

Having said that, the problem at hand is not new to V10, it was present in legacy already. As @gazumped said, it has to do width the interaction of EN and the underlying O/S.

7 minutes ago, Trimble said:

I’ve used Evernote for 9 years and have never had this problem. Scanning to desktop folder and importing to Evernote same error. 

I did. But it had to do with premature import. Your problem might have a different cause.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Scanning with ix500 ...

The scan runs into ScanSnap Home, profile "Scan to Folder" that uses a temporary folder to collect the data from the scanner. If set to do it (recommended) the scan is OCRed as well, adding a text layer to the picture layer. The file is open in ScanSnap Home, ready to receive a "good" file name, and be saved into an import folder.

Save into import folder. A few seconds later the scan is imported. EN creates a new note, with the scan file name as note tile, and the scan attached to the note.

1-Preview, 2-Basic editing options, 3-File Name (will become note title), 4-File Type (preselected), 5- destination folder, 6-Save command.

The destination folder needs to be declared as Import Folder in EN settings.

image.thumb.png.a3ffed286fc5db842f09ce58e5965f7b.png