Unable to share web articles to evernote

Go to solution Solved by promosinc,

When I try to share an article from my Android phone to Evernote, the box comes up to choose my notebook and my tags, but the the area to select my notebook does not get populated with my notebooks, no matter how long I wait (photo attached). So when I click save to clip the article, it always says, "error clipping" (photo attached). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app from the Play store and I still have the same problem. Please help. Thanks!

Screenshot_20240312-075331.png

Screenshot_20240312-083659.png

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. For me, when I start the clipping, I get the dialog in your first screenshot, but it shows my default notebook, and pressing the > takes me to my full notebook list. If I just tap Save, it clips to the default notebook. If this isn't working for you, my first suggestion would be to uninstall the app and reinstall it. If you have any notes or notebooks saved as available offline, be sure they are synced before you uninstall.

Hi Dave, just tapping save gives me the error, it doesn't save to my default notebook. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but still the same result. Do you have any other suggestions?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, caljewel said:

Do you have any other suggestions?

Has this ever worked for you, or is this new behavior?  Assuming this happens to all web clips and not just a specific one maybe after uninstalling, reboot the phone first and then try a reinstall.  Which browser are you trying to share from?  Maybe try a different one.

• Like 1

Hi s2sailor, this has always worked for me, it's the only way I know to clip web articles from my phone, I've been doing it for over 10 years, I'm a daily power user of Evernote, I use it for everything. I've tried all the suggestions - I have uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled several times, I've tried several different browsers (chrome, Firefox, Opera, DuckDuckGo) all with the same result.

Once I hit share in all the browsers, the box comes up to select my notebook and tags, but the notebook section has the word "Loading" blinking really fast, but my six notebooks never load, no matter how long I wait. If I go ahead click the notebook section, it opens up but none of my notebooks are listed.

I am however able to select any tags I want to use for each article. But once I click save, I still get that same result in red letters "Error Clipping."

I submitted a request to Evernote and I'm still waiting to hear back from them but I'm hoping one of you community members might have a solution that works, even if it's a work around in the meantime. Thanks again and let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been two weeks and still no help! I created a ticket for support, sent in my activity logs, I've done everything I could possibly do and I'm still waiting to hear back. Am I really the only one facing this issue? This is just absolutely crazy! I'm not able to share/clip ay notes from android and I'm also not able to create any new notes (created a separate community note and a separate support ticket and also waiting to here back).

It's a double-whammy! I must say this is the worst experience I've had with Evernote in the twelve years I've been a user. This is the last thing I expected after they doubled the annual user fee from $75 to $140. I have tens of thousands of notes so I think I've passed the point of no return. It would be a massive undertaking to migrate everything to another platform, and then, assuming it wouldn't transfer in seemly, I would have to reorganize all my tags/notes into whatever system the new platform uses. 

Please!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!

• Like 1
  • Solution

I have this problem as well. I think it might be the issue I posted about a few minutes ago in another thread - that for those of us just updating from the legacy Android EN, the new version does not recognize our old default notebook as the default notebook, hence we have no default notebook. I think most of these issues with creating new notes, "clipping" and tagging will resolve once we have identified a default notebook. My understanding is this cannot be done in the EN Android app, but only in Evernote for the Web. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Promosinc, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You were right, that was the solution all along - I just had to choose a default notebook and it solved both issues. I'm now able to clip articles as well as create new notes! I was able to do it with both Evernote desktop or Evernote web, both allowed me to choose my default notebook. I need to remember that as a way to troubleshoot Evernote in general - just switch my default notebook on desktop, then sync, then close out and reopen and then go back and choose my original notebook. That has helped in the past but I completely forgot about doing it this time. Thanks again!!!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 3/29/2024 at 4:03 AM, promosinc said:

I have this problem as well. I think it might be the issue I posted about a few minutes ago in another thread - that for those of us just updating from the legacy Android EN, the new version does not recognize our old default notebook as the default notebook, hence we have no default notebook. I think most of these issues with creating new notes, "clipping" and tagging will resolve once we have identified a default notebook. My understanding is this cannot be done in the EN Android app, but only in Evernote for the Web. 

Great catch! For the record, you can set the default notebook in the Android app in Settings > Notebooks.

Actually, if everything was working well, then I would have been able to set the default notebook. But when I went to settings while the app was down and tried to select a default notebook, the notebooks wouldn't even populate, so I wasn't able to choose a notebook. Now that I got it running, I can always go in and switch the default notebook. But it wasn't possible before...

• Thanks 1
On 3/29/2024 at 6:51 AM, caljewel said:

Hey Promosinc, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You were right, that was the solution all along - I just had to choose a default notebook and it solved both issues. I'm now able to clip articles as well as create new notes! I was able to do it with both Evernote desktop or Evernote web, both allowed me to choose my default notebook. I need to remember that as a way to troubleshoot Evernote in general - just switch my default notebook on desktop, then sync, then close out and reopen and then go back and choose my original notebook. That has helped in the past but I completely forgot about doing it this time. Thanks again!!!!

Yes, Promosinc I second that THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The solution you posted works!!

this had been driving me crazy for months and not being able to clip from my phone had really impeded my workflow.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 5:55 PM, marc a said:

Yes, Promosinc I second that THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The solution you posted works!!

this had been driving me crazy for months and not being able to clip from my phone had really impeded my workflow.

Oh my gosh, I also add my thanks to Promosinc!!! This issue has been hindering me for well over a year!! I had submitted a support ticket to Evernote with no luck from them in solving it.  I was seriously considering dumping Evernote, and I was one of their earliest users - going back almost twenty years!!  Thank you, thank you.

• Like 2