Dedicated Tag section in search suggestions

Jon lowbank

Idea

Could we please have a dedicated section for Tags in the search suggestions.

I am a GTD tag user and new to EN10 today 🙂 I see some random tags come up in suggestions when doing a search.  if we had dedicated section for Tags in the  popup suggestions that showed maybe 5-10 tags that contain your search term like in the add filters > tags dialog  (or Ctrl+alt+T dialog). Instead of having random tags showing up in the Add filter section this would be great as I do like the way this would work, one place to add tags and text to you filter. (Tags first).  Besides been a lot of extra clicks and cumbersome I find using the add filters > tags dialog and then the Search box  has random functionality.

For example

In this screen Shot  I'm looking for the "$InvReceivable" tag you can see it in the saved search section but not in the add filters section

image.png.b20122726d895fb5de34094e012a23db.png

If I  then make my search "invre" I get nothing so need to go off to the add filters > tags dialog and then back to search to narrow it down.

image.png.db6ea75bea5cf62393f3bd7d15dc36ba.png

Cheers 

• Like 1

17 replies to this idea

11 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

I see some random tags come up in suggestions when doing a search

Completely agree with the randomness! If your persevere you do normally get what you want but special characters are a bit hit and miss. I generally find ctrl+Q is a little more reliable at fiding tags.

Also be aware that filtering and then searching can give unexpected results

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

For this sort of selection you have the filters menu. Notebooks, Tags, dates and content are some of the options. 

The filter menu is cumbersome and and lot of clicks. I rarely use the other options my main way of searching is tags

• Like 1
Just now, Jon lowbank said:

I rarely use the other options my main way of searching is tags

Don't forget the main tags window (alt+ctrl+5) has a nice search and you can filter by clicking from there.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

You don’t want 600 tags in your search window …

How hard is it to type „tag:“ followed by the tag name ?

easy for some but hard for me to remember what some of my tags start with and how they are spelt. also doesn't seem to work image.png.4e9abd64231281281d88c3ae9872351e.png

15 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Don't forget the main tags window (alt+ctrl+5) has a nice search and you can filter by clicking from there.

The problem with this is you can only add one tag to your filter using this method. With the search suggestions you can add multiple tags fast.

1 minute ago, Jon lowbank said:

The problem with this is you can only add one tag to your filter using this method

True. So you will need to use the tags filter menu or learn the names of all your tags so you can use the advanced search syntax (which requires the full tag name - it is not a way of sesarching for tags). It does accept wildcards at the end of the tag name though. So you could try

tag:inv*

which will find all notes tagged with a tag beginning inv.

I don't like the tag filter much either. The keyboard shortcut (alt+F2 on Windows) helps, as it goes straight to the tags section of the filter and you can immediately start typing your search.

S

3 minutes ago, Mike P said:

True. So you will need to use the tags filter menu or learn the names of all your tags so you can use the advanced search syntax (which requires the full tag name - it is not a way of sesarching for tags). It does accept wildcards at the end of the tag name though. So you could try

tag:inv*

which will find all notes tagged with a tag beginning inv.

I don't like the tag filter much either. The keyboard shortcut (alt+F2 on Windows) helps, as it goes straight to the tags section of the filter and you can immediately start typing your search.

Thanks alt+F2 works better to add multiple tags.. some strange behaviour after adding this way to clear filter. Filter doesn't show up under search ( no clear option here) and does not clear buy clicking on notes icon. clear only be deselecting and the little clear at top right of filter.

• Level 5

Filters and search field are not fully integrated.

Filters can besser by actions as well, like clicking on a tag or a notebook. Sometimes a filter was set before, which leads to less search hits.

Search requires an input.

6 minutes ago, Jon lowbank said:

Thanks alt+F2 works better to add multiple tags

Also works quite well without using the mouse. Arrow keys to move through the list of found tags. Enter to select. Alt+F2 to bring up the window again if needed.

On 2/27/2024 at 10:38 PM, PinkElephant said:

Filters and search field are not fully integrated.

Filters can besser by actions as well, like clicking on a tag or a notebook. Sometimes a filter was set before, which leads to less search hits.

Search requires an input.

Is there a bug report or topic about Filters and search fields not been fully integrated as I am struggling with this?

Adding Tags Via Filter then search dose not work well together.

Example 1 of strange behaviour 

If I add a Tag Filter then add a Tag via the Search suggestions. it Tells me I have 2 filters added in the search drop down, but the Tag added Via search dose not show up in the filters list and notes are not flited with the tag added via search.

But it seems that if you are just adding tags Via search only it works better adding each tag you search to the Filter.  So my feature request still stands.