access to geographic coordinates

Now I use a legacy version with an Evernote Personal account.
This allows me to enter geographic coordinates in my notes.
With the new version I will no longer have access to geographic coordinates, I will need an Evernote Professional account which is more expensive.
If I switch from a Personal account to a Professional account will I keep my geographic coordinates?
With the new versions where is the database installed on the disk?

• Level 5*

With the new version I will no longer have access to geographic coordinates, I will need an Evernote Professional account which is more expensive.

I believe you should find that the Personal plan will also allow you to search for geographic locations

If I switch from a Personal account to a Professional account will I keep my geographic coordinates?

Geographic locations should be carried over to your new account

With the new versions where is the database installed on the disk?

There's a hidden folder called Appdata

Can I ask you for more details about your use of co-ordinates and need for the folder location?  Can you share the process you use?

There's some more information here... Save note location information

• Like 1

I think searching for geographic locations is all but dead. Even sorting by location has gone. The page @gazumpedreferences above says:

Note: Sorting notes by location is only available on older versions of Evernote for Android.

You do get a map of the location on mobile devices. On desktop or web the location (longitude and latitude) is not even included in the note information. However if you export the note it is clearly there in the enex.

image.png.4ba410cf2b5624c42bc84c478a2428e9.png

The only good news is that the advanced search syntax still works for longitude and latitude. So if you want to search around this point

latitude = 46.97
longitude = 1.06

You need to create a bounding box. I've done plus or minus 0.1 deg (very very approx 10 km at moderate latitude). So basically a 20km square centred on the point of interest.

longitude:0.96 -longitude:1.16 latitude:46.87 -latitude:47.07

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

The thing I hate about geolocations is the unmemorable detail.  There's a handy app around called What3Words which has identified 3metre squares around the world and tagged them with three random (and occasionally funny) words.  Bending Spoons location for instance...  There are Excel and Google Sheet add-ins to convert lat/long to W3W.

screenshot-what3words.com-2024_02.26-20_23_21.thumb.png.5a705bf34639762d1c872d0b99821e08.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There are several wrong assumptions in the OP.

First the geo coordinates are save automatically  into a note when it is a) created on any mobile client and b) access to the GPS data is allowed for the EN app in mobile OS settings. This is v10, not some outdated clunker of an app. Downside: When allowed it can't be turned off.

Second they can be added to EVERY note by the user: Open the note on a mobile device, then go to note information and tap into the blank area below the information. A map will show of your area. You can zoom in as usual, and then tap somewhere. A Pin shows, that can be moved everywhere and dropped, marking the location. Small downside: I found no method to remove that Pin again.

Third I have asked support (the old team, not the new one) a while ago what is meant by "geographic search". I had found nothing about it, even when there was the claim that it is one of these additional features that distinguishes Professional users from the plebs other fellow users. No explanation on the website, no help document, nothing.

And support could tell me - nothing. They had no clue ! They obviously had nobody to ask either. So it is advertised, but there seems to be nothing behind it.

Because the geo location search using the advanced search syntax works, on all accounts. If this is meant, it is no feature of professional. It is now no feature of Professional any more. But because nobody seems to know, it is a non-feature anyhow.

image.thumb.png.ecfa9a1d4b105cedb160040f33b1a54a.png

image.thumb.png.aab25f29c7aa6b858cdf8a738d5d9f84.png

Beside this, a change of plans even with the old setup would never erase existing geo information from notes.

So far, so interesting.

The database location can be found in v10 settings, app settings when you scroll down. It will not show in versions downloaded and installed from one of the Stores (like the AppStore).

image.thumb.png.6c12d86a683be12a81b461e9d8735897.png

10 hours ago, Mike P said:

You would still need to edit it to get it in the correct format for an EN search string.

If you copy the coordinates as TSV from https://boundingbox.klokantech.com/ and paste them into the A1:D1 cells in an Excel spreadsheet then this formula converts the 4 numbers into the correct EN advanced search syntax. The cell (E1 in my case) can then be selected, copied and pasted directly into the search box in Evernote

=CONCAT("longitude:", A1, " -longitude:", C1, " latitude:",B1," -latitude:",D1)

image.png.fcaefbeb7bf6692e6c34cec675036816.png

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, enezy1603 said:

With the legacy version I can enter the coordinates. Could still do it with the new version?

Short answer - no. You can add the location to a map in the mobile versions but there is no facility to add (or see) actual coordinates.

In principle you could export a file as an enex, edit it with a text editor and then import it again but that seems alot of work.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, enezy1603 said:

If you can no longer enter geo coordinates directly with the desktop app, I think I'll ditch Evernote. I don't trust anymore.

Sorry to confirm,  but as noted above,  and after an extensive search today;  while 'geographic search' is still quoted as an option,  noting and searching by location is pretty much dead in v10.  There are several references in the help pages,  but no functionality that I can find.

It might be possible to create a work-around by having text geotags in notes and an 'index' map of locations - most mapping apps would support that.

I'm sure the old Evernote team would use the argument that there was 'not enough interest' in this feature to convert it to the new v10 (and honestly I haven't noted its absence until now...)  but the new owners are pretty mobile-friendly.  Nothing is going to change before the ned of March,  but you could request this as a 'new' feature - if you do,  please explain to them how your geo system works and why it's important to you!

Sorry we couldn't help more.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, enezy1603 said:

If you can no longer enter geo coordinates directly with the desktop app, I think I'll ditch Evernote. I don't trust anymore.

I hope you can find something that works for you. You can find a way around finding most text based data in EN through the use of tags and simple text search. Numeric and date data, where you will normally want to find values within a range, really depend on EN providing the appropriate fields and a way of searching. In this case they have provided the field and a way of searching but not easily entering data into the fields.

If you just need to record the values then it can just be done in the body of the note. Limited searching works provided you got the first few digits correct. So a search for lat_53.2 found a note with

image.png.203cab2f856b24c6011881867e97a619.png

Remember Boolean search is now free for all users so a search like

(lat_53.2 OR lat_53.3) AND (long_1.1 OR long_1.2)

should work

I think @gazumped's suggestion of using the "three words" system is worth investigating - as I said earlier, EN is really good at finding text!

• Level 5

As said above, the mobile client has some functionality with it’s map.

If one want to use a location in searches, I think it is the faster and better way to tag the notes. Location data does only exist on notes created on mobile anyhow, and adding a tag is far easier than searching for the location data via coordinates.