Layout Issues - Wasted Space

I use the Legacy version on my laptops but keep the latest version running as well. 

I prefer the legacy version due to the quick and easy clipper, the general layout, and easy access to features.  I do not use shortcut keys much.  Too much conflict with other apps.

However, I do update the current version and look at it occasionally to see if it is converging on the classic version and meets my expectations.

It was getting close for a while but seems to have regressed. 

I decided to give it another shot today and immediately was struck by how little content is now on the screen and how things are widely spaced to no apparent benefit compared to the classic version.  I seemed to recall a zoom feature some time back that allowed reducing the wasted space and getting more on screen but could not find it, and "help' was no help. 

Below is a comparison of the same page at the sametime on boith versions.  The old one is very obviously far superior.  Note how much more data is in both left columns and the note window --- and the extremely handy shortcut band across the top.  I did not expand the colour coded tags in Legacy for privacy reasons but it definitely is far superior.

Is there any way to simulate the Lagacy version, activate a compact view to reduce the wasted spaces, or zoom the pages to get more content on a screen? 

Disappointment.jpg

• Level 5

For those of us who use v. 10 constantly, the new UI, which does include a lot of extra space and a new, larger default font to make it "cleaner" (i.e., less full of content), has provoked a hornets nets of dissent: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149750-new-ui-experiences-bad-and-good/.

WRT Legacy, I  hope you've checked your email. Look for the one with subject "Action required ⚠️ You must update Evernote." Similar content on the blog: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning. Legacy has 1 more month remaining.

1 hour ago, allendick said:

Na svojich notebookoch používam staršiu verziu, ale ponechávam si spustenú aj najnovšiu verziu. 

Dávam prednosť staršej verzii kvôli rýchlemu a jednoduchému orezávaču, všeobecnému rozloženiu a ľahkému prístupu k funkciám. Klávesové skratky príliš nepoužívam. Príliš veľa konfliktov s inými aplikáciami.

Aktualizujem však aktuálnu verziu a občas sa na ňu pozriem, aby som zistil, či sa približuje ku klasickej verzii a spĺňa moje očakávania.

Chvíľu sa to približovalo, ale zdá sa, že sa to vrátilo späť. 

Rozhodol som sa tomu dnes dať ešte jednu šancu a okamžite ma zarazilo, ako málo obsahu je teraz na obrazovke a ako sú veci veľmi rozmiestnené bez zjavného prínosu v porovnaní s klasickou verziou. Zdalo sa mi, že som si pred časom spomenul na funkciu priblíženia, ktorá umožňovala zmenšiť premárnený priestor a získať viac na obrazovke, ale nevedel som ju nájsť a „pomoc“ nepomohla. 

Nižšie je uvedené porovnanie tej istej stránky v rovnakom čase na oboch verziách. Tá stará je zjavne oveľa lepšia. Všimnite si, o koľko viac údajov je v ľavých stĺpcoch a v okne poznámky --- a mimoriadne praktický pás skratiek v hornej časti. Nerozšíril som farebne označené značky v Legacy z dôvodov ochrany osobných údajov, ale rozhodne je to oveľa lepšie.

Existuje nejaký spôsob, ako simulovať verziu Lagacy, aktivovať kompaktné zobrazenie, aby sa zmenšil nepotrebný priestor, alebo priblížiť stránky, aby sa na obrazovke zobrazilo viac obsahu? 

Sklamanie.jpg

image.png.a478369f727d69c608c4ae97ecfa9ebd.png

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Pre tých z nás, ktorí neustále používajú verziu 10, nové používateľské rozhranie, ktoré obsahuje veľa miesta navyše a nové, väčšie predvolené písmo, aby bolo „čistejšie“ (tj menej plné obsahu), vyvolalo sršne siete. nesúhlasu:  https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149750-new-ui-experiences-bad-and-good/ .

WRT Legacy, dúfam, že ste si skontrolovali svoj e-mail. Vyhľadajte ten s predmetom „Vyžaduje sa akcia ⚠️ Musíte aktualizovať Evernote.“ Podobný obsah na blogu:  https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning . Legacy má ešte 1 mesiac.

Or in chrome use this

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/custom-page-zoom/jodiabicmogcbbiocceenmeflipeelle?pli=1

steps in app is for me too much... 

• Like 1

Evernote is full of surprises, and few of them pleasant -- for my purposes at least.

It seems the developers give us what they like, not what we like. 

Instead of the handy multi-purpose shortcut bar along the top, they give us graphics or empty space. There is a whole inch at the top of my screen that is basically empty! Legacy fills the entire screen to the top with content.  And where is the status bar?   Why are tags at the bottom? 

I, for one do NOT want a 'clean' interface.  I want things where I can see them and I don't want keyboard shortcuts or long distances between common mouse functions.  

At least they got rid of that smarmy greeting line. 

• Level 5

Well, they don't give us what you like. I actually liked the "smarmy" greeting line, which was at least friendly and more useful than "Dave's Home" and asking me if I'm ready to do what I came there to do. I greatly prefer keyboard shortcuts to a bunch of mouse searching and clicking. Tags at the bottom - status bar - shortcuts on the left instead of the top: all bee-hitched about thoroughly since v. 10 first appeared, and for me a resounding "Meh!"

It's not v. 10 as such but its recently revamped interface that is responsible for the empty space at the top, which I and lots of others agree is a pointless waste. Hopefully they'll fix it, or put something useful in it.

I was trying to be nice earlier, but all I hear is one more of the ONE PERCENT still using Legacy (per the blog post) insisting that nothing must ever change and their needs must prevail over all. Sorry for ranting; just tired of it.

I am really disappointed with the new layout.  I liked the previous layout.  I preferred the contrast with a white background to the notes page and the darker sidebar.  It makes it too much the same and more difficult for me to look at the screen due to sight issues.  Also do not like the wasted real estate with margins either side of my text.  is there anyway to change back to the previous layout?  Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I absolutely agree (as do many others: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/149750-new-ui-experiences-bad-and-good/). Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way we can revert to the visible, readable, usable interface, unless Evernote decides to make options available. You can give them your feedback directly: https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback.

• Like 1