thanks for everything, evernote. now i'm moving to an open source solution

many thanks for the software, evernote! i rarely had problems with it and it helped me organise all my stuff. i first started using evernote in 2019 when i bought an old blackberry mobile phone to try it out. it came with an evernote app that hadn't been updated since 2015 and still worked perfectly for my use cases.

now i'm moving to joplin because:

* i want to support an open-source project (joplin offers a hosted solution for a fee)

* i want an android app i can install on all my android devices (not just on those with google play store)

* i want a native linux app

i've found that joplin is missing ocr, which i very much liked with evernote. to solve this i've installed paperless-ngx on my server online. 

from the above you can probably tell that i'm not the average evernote customer. 

it's been fun and i hope evernote continues to flourish! maybe i'll be back one day :)

• Like 7
  • Level 5

One of the more cheerful out-the-door messages. I've appreciated your posts here in the past, and I appreciate your acknowledgement that your usage is not everyone's usage. Enjoy your niche, and hope to see you again sometime. 😀

• Like 6
On 2/10/2024 at 8:57 PM, ehrt74 said:

i've found that joplin is missing ocr, which i very much liked with evernote. to solve this i've installed paperless-ngx on my server online. 

The beta version of Joplin now has OCR built-in with no need for any plugins!

10 hours ago, Dave Green said:

Can you get it to open multiple windows on the desktop?  

No, but you can use a keyboard combination (I think, Ctrl+E) while selecting the note, and it will open on your external editor (be it Typora, iaWriter, Notepad or whatever text editor). So you can have as many notes open on different windows.

PS. I'm not a Joplin user myself but looking into it and other alternatives. PC Mag gave it it's highest score: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-note-taking-apps

• Thanks 1