Ability to directly paste entire note contents (text, graphics, hyperlinks) into MS apps (word, outlook), Gmail etc with a simple copy and paste. And the reverse operation.

ouzel

Idea

These very basic (and essential) features used to work in previous (i.e. pre 10 versions), but do not work in V10+

I think this has been commented on by countless other users, but I could not see it in the features request list.  Aplogies for any repetition.

I keep waiting for an update to fix this, but instead they seem to focus on relatively trivial tweaks.

11 replies to this idea

Just tried the html trick - still no images, just blue question marks. Also tried exporting as pdf and copied and pasted that into Pages - it worked for the images, but all the text was backwards....sdrawkcab. Some serious glitches. It Evernote would just talk to us and have a screen-share life could be a lot simpler for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  I think you have to be a great deal more specific about what content you want to copy,  and - ideally - supply some examples of what used to work and now does not. 

I can copy and paste pretty much any combination I wish of text and graphics in Windows 11 and Evernote 10.74.1 into Typora / Office 365 / LibreOffice but maybe my choices are less ambitious than yours,  or sourced from different websites.  There are situations in which a direct copy/ paste does not work,  but using the desktop as an intermediary - i.e. paste source to desktop,  copy desktop item,  paste desktop to destination will work.

I don't believe the general situation has changed,  and I haven't seen 'countless' other requests for the facility - maybe share an "uncopyable" note with us so we can see more clearly what you mean?  (NB This is a public forum - don't include any personal information!)

-and some of those 'trivial' tweaks have vastly increased Evernote's speed and security - more practical applications are promised this year...

See:  

14 hours ago, gazumped said:

I can copy and paste pretty much any combination I wish of text and graphics in Windows 11 and Evernote 10.74.1 into Typora / Office 365 / LibreOffice but maybe my choices are less ambitious than yours,

I have never been able to copy (in V10) a selection containing text, an image and then more text, in one go from EN to Word. I can do it If I do it if I copy and paste the text and image separately but not all together. I wonder what your trick is. 

It doesn't work from the web version of EN either but does work if you export it as html and copy and paste from that.

27 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I have never been able to copy (in V10) a selection containing text, an image and then more text, in one go from EN to Word. I can do it If I do it if I copy and paste the text and image separately but not all together. I wonder what your trick is. 

It doesn't work from the web version of EN either but does work if you export it as html and copy and paste from that.

Didn't know about the HTML trick - better than nothing perhaps !

@gazumped, there has been an awful lot of traffic about this on the evernote forums, and there a lot of cross users out there (e.g. https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/141553-the-ability-to-copy-and-paste-out-of-evernote-into-other-apps-should-be-basic/ ).

As for specifics, I think I was pretty clear.  Create a note in evernote containing mixed text, images and hyperlinks.  Pre version 10, I could select all (by Cntrl-A, for example) and paste straight into gmail, word or outlook email, and see all the text, images and hyperlinks as I would in the note.  With version 10 onwards, I only get the text pasted.

• Level 5*

@Mike P & @ouzel - apologies:  I looked for a note with mixed text and graphics in my account today for several minutes - and couldn't find one.  It's apparently my habit to clip content,  but not to add commentary,  or to use Evernote to create detail documents or presentations - or at least I don't do it often...

I can copy my notes easily because they're mostly single content.  I created a text/image/text mixture,  and yes - I got the text,  but not the image.  Sorry for my confusion!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any workaround to paste images and text from a Note in Evernote into say Pages or an email would be gratefully received (currently just get a blue ?). I still have to use legacy to do this and it does it beautifully, but they keep threatening to discontinue it. I've been a premium member for about 10 years and now find it very difficult to even raise this directly with Evernote as they always send holding emails back that they are catching up. You would think a simple copy and paste would be one of the most essential features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kilham said:

Any workaround to paste images and text from a Note in Evernote into say Pages or an email would be gratefully received (currently just get a blue ?).

You should be able to copy and paste the images and text separately. Alternatively you can use the export to html trick noted above. 

1 hour ago, kilham said:

You would think a simple copy and paste would be one of the most essential features.

100% agree. You can always hope that this sort of thing was what Frederico had in mind when he said in his end of year blog post

· Substantial improvements to the user experience. To date, we’ve prioritized bigger reliability issues. Yet, what often frustrates users (myself included) is a combination of many small bugs rather than one or two major issues. From January 2024, the Evernote team will work to address some of the most prominent inefficiencies, helping make Evernote’s user experience smoother than it’s ever been.

but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, ouzel said:

Does anyone from Evernote read these posts ?!

Likely no.  This is basically a users forum.  If you want to ensure Evernote sees your comments, it is best to submit a trouble ticket or use the feedback option.

This part of the forum is labelled as "product feedback / feature requests", so I'd hope they read it now and then ?!  But maybe I am assuming too much....

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, ouzel said:

This part of the forum is labelled as "product feedback / feature requests", so I'd hope they read it now and then ?!  But maybe I am assuming too much....

I agree and that would be my assumption as well. Prior to the sale to Bending Spoons there were several employees that were active and hopefully reading input.  Since then I’ve only noticed one active employee and their focus, at least currently, does not appear to be on feature requests.  Maybe they are taking note of feature requests but there has been no indication that I’ve seen.

• Like 1