import notes from old Evernote version 2

Go to solution Solved by Gleb1414,

I have a computer that is running Evernote version 2.2.1.386 for many years and I have about 40,000 records. The problem is that this evernote exports the notes in .enx format (which is different from .enex) and I need to convert it to .enex somehow. My actual intention is to import those notes to program called Joplin, but it only takes .enex. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  That version is 15+ years old and there's no conversion available that I'm aware of.  You may be able to find something via an online search for your OS and Evernote v2,  and you may be able to update through older versions - v2 to v5,  v5 to v6,  and then to v10 if you wish.  (v6 would output to ENEX though.)

I'd also suggest you look at what other export options you have - if you can save to HTML or PDF,  Joplin might be able to work with that.

Some sites have older versions of the software - see https://filehippo.com/download_evernote/history/ and scroll down (a lot).  If you search the internet you'll probably turn up previous hits from the forums here,  but most of the links in those posts no longer work because individuals left Evernote,  and the company recently changed hands.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The rule of thumb is that any formats will be supported including the next version. So maybe you can handle the conversion if you find a release of version 3.

The other option is to export your ENX, and then pay a freelancer to write a converter to ENEX. I doubt it takes more than rearranging a few bits and bytes. There are platforms where you can place such a project.

In general you just have proved why it is a bad idea to stay behind with upgrading your software.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Glad you found a solution!

Just for the record -- there are some useful Evernote 2 and 3 tools and releases saved here: https://www.kvitek.com/en/

As far as I remember, Evernote 3 could import Evernote 2 stuff directly, and also supported export to .enex

Best,

/Peter

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@kvitekp Thanks for the link Peter!  It's good to hear from you again.  I assume that your avatar here is a little out of date though - surely that "Evernote Employee" tag no longer  applies... I seem to remember you left the company a few years ago now!  

• Level 5

@gazumped Glad to see you too! That's correct, I departed Evernote back in 2017. Probably those early employees are now "forever guilty" and are marked as such ;)

Anyway, I'm determined to do my best to ensure that all users who trusted Evernote their data back then will be able to retrieve it.

• Like 3