Evernote for Windows using too much data on Metered Network

• Level 5*

Hi.  Everything is synced back to Evernote's servers.  You could work offline for a while,  but any and all changes would still be synced when wifi was re-enabled.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 3:35 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Everything is synced back to Evernote's servers.  You could work offline for a while,  but any and all changes would still be synced when wifi was re-enabled.

Hi,

The problem is not the data sync. The windows version of Evernote periodically downloads an update without warning - and the updates are pretty frequent for some reason. It does not give an option to ask before downloading an update or detect metered networks.  The update consumes a lot of data.

• Level 5

In general we advise to update when available, and to avoid the store versions for some possible complications.

This said, it may be in your case that installing from a Store (like the MS Store) could be a possibility to get a chance to confirm an update before it gets installed.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

In general we advise to update when available, and to avoid the store versions for some possible complications.

This said, it may be in your case that installing from a Store (like the MS Store) could be a possibility to get a chance to confirm an update before it gets installed.

Thanks.

I downloaded the installer the website. 

And it does not say that an update is available - click here to download. It just downloads it the moment you connect to a network. 

Anyway, the solution I have found is to quit the program before latching onto a metered network. Not very elegant but works.   

• Level 5

There was criticism from users in the past that the app asked before updating. They changed that - the app will download, prepare everything in the background and then ask for a quick refresh to launch the new version.

Much better than before (except for you, it seems).

14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Much better than before (except for you, it seems).

Yep - but not straight forward and somewhat irritating:

• Normally (in other applications) you have the possibility to either automatically check for updates
    • and if checked, it works like EN does...
    • im it is not checked, then nothing happens in the background (no traffic to download nearly 400 MB of a new version)
  • OK, EN decided to automatically check by itself
    • this is OK in times of delivering buggy version often 😉 (with some need to fix failures soon)
  • But why do we have a command Help -> Check for Updates?
    • In my case this command always tells me that I'm up to date 🤔
  • ... even if there is a new version available for direct download...
    •  
  • Level 5*

Evernote updates frequently because it's under active development - which is normally considered a good thing:  because "real time editing" makes collaboration more efficient:  and it allows for security updates and bugfixes.  If that means the app is unsuitable for anyone on a metered connection,  it puts those users in the same class as anyone who doesn't want their data in the cloud - one where what makes Evernote great for some users,  makes it unusable for others.

If I were a developer I'd be cautious about giving my users the opportunity to avoid updates,  because some are going to keep doing so for long periods and possibly create another semi-Legacy situation;  and others will 'forget' something essential,  have a crisis and blame me for something that's entirely their fault.

Sorry to be unsympathetic here,  but if the way Evernote works doesn't fit in with someone's usage,  then maybe they should be looking at alternatives...

• Like 1