I've been a user for over 15 years, but it's been downhill for more than 10. Bugs never fixed, features removed, prices constantly increased. I paid for years, too.

Today, the app let me make a note and then deleted it when I didn't want to be tricked by dark patterns into paying!

Tried to backup my notes, but a 1 character note is over 300kb!

Tried to review my notes but every time I clicked one with a picture it would suddenly say "saving" and disappear to the top of the list, modified today! But I didn't modify anything!

Tried to delete my notes to get under 50, but I could only select 100 at a time on the desktop or 1 at a time on Android. But I persisted, deleted them all. But on Android, they are all still there!

Tried to close my account, but logging in on the web immediately logged me out. Probably the stupid device limit. So I persisted and found a url to account management. Close my account? No that feature is completely broken too.

Lodging a support case was hard too. Just delete my data, and have fun going out of business with this broken pile of unusable garbage.

• Level 5

You are likely on Free now.

You can view and edit existing notes, but you can't move or create new ones until the count is below 50, and only 1 notebook. It is not spelled out, but I think it is obvious that the new Free plan is not made with a sustained use in mind. It's a trial, and you are trying now since 15 years in total, paid and free.

The simplest way of removing notes is doing so by notebook: You can export a full notebook (no matter how many notes) from the desktop app, and you can trash an entire notebook, no matter how many notes. After trashing the notebook, the notes will be in trash. You need to empty the trash to bring down your notes count.

You have the device limits, and it is by no means stupid - at least this is my view, as a paying customer who is seeing part of his subscription money funneled into non paying accounts. If you ant to resolve the issue, I would say the easiest way is to subscribe for a month.

No limits any more to dance around, add a desktop client, export what you want, close the account. It's 10 bucks one time, for a hazzle free shut down.

• Like 1

Ah, but I would have had to keep an empty notebook around for that. You can't delete the last notebook, and the free plan can't create them.

I hit about 20 bugs in an hour of usage, just trying to get the last of my notes out. I feel sorry for anyone still using this.

Bait and switch scams should be illegal.

• Level 5

You can simply deactivate and then permanently close your account. It's all in the help pages, just need to search for the buzz words.

From your description I doubt you hit bugs - I rather think you are doing things the first time, and may collide with the restrictions of the Free plan you had chosen to use. And probably you are emotionally engaged, not the best precondition for such an operation.

"new Free plan" - I wasn't told about, nor did I agree to, any new plan at all. I just happened to try to make a note today for the first time since I stopped paying over a year ago, only to discover there's no product left to even resume paying for. People's trust has been completely taken advantage of.

The first comparison table on the pricing page fails to mention the main limitation, still, right now!

> "You can simply deactivate and then permanently close your account".

No, you can't. I described this in the first message - the login is broken and causes instant logout. I found a workaround, but deletion is broken too.

23 minutes ago, dewi said:

Can you please stop sending me bullshit? Thanks.

This is so infuriating-stop posting bullshit then the guy is trying to help you, if you dont like EN go elsewhere. IF you can find something that does the same job. I have bit my tongue for a long time Free is worth what you pay for it and a FREE customer is worth NOTHING to the company.

Put up or shut up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I didn't ask for help - my aim here is to clarify the business model.

As I already said, I *was* paying literally the last time I added a note, when the product worked, & price reflected costs & value. For free I only tried to add a single note in over a year, which is in line with what the pricing page *still* says at the top, and was how things worked for 15 years, and is a very basic expectation for the "freemium" model this product still claims to be under.

This is now firmly a bait-and-switch - users trusted the service under specific conditions that provided value. Now the value proposition is just "not having to migrate everything elsewhere"; the business model is "old trust being turned for short term revenue". This offering is not competitive in the current market at all.

If you don't want to read commentary about this, nobody is forcing you to be here.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, dewi said:

my aim here is to clarify the business model.

There is not much to clarify.  Subscribers were paying for the free users and there weren’t enough subscribers to keep the free plan going.  If this is a bait and switch then it had a very long bait period.  Something like 15 years.

The company could have done a much better job communicating the changes and offering guidance on how to migrate away for those that don’t want to subscribe.  The free plan now is only a trial and not useful for anything more.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

@dewi a Free user coming to the forum to explain us the „business model“. 

Do you mean your own business model, freeloading for 15 years on the back of your fellow users paying for the cost ? Or the business model with too many non performing accounts on the back of too little paying users ? I mean the one that brought EN to its knees.

OK, just FYI: EN has a new business model: Try on Free, then subscribe or leave.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 1/17/2024 at 8:34 AM, dewi said:

I've been a user for over 15 years, but it's been downhill for more than 10. Bugs never fixed, features removed, prices constantly increased. I paid for years, too.

16 hours ago, dewi said:

As I already said, I *was* paying literally the last time I added a note, when the product worked, & price reflected costs & value. For free I only tried to add a single note in over a year, which is in line with what the pricing page *still* says at the top, and was how things worked for 15 years, and is a very basic expectation for the "freemium" model this product still claims to be under.

Some chronological clarification might help: at what point did you switch from paid to free? What year did Evernote's price last reflect costs and value for you? Value is highly subjective, based on usage, which in your case sounds like it was minimal. Cost, I guess, means Evernote's costs, which neither you nor any of us here actually know. For very minimal use, Evernote even for free may be overpowered. Honestly, as for clarifying Evernote's business model, as I said, no one here actually knows what that is, but we can all enjoy trumpeting our guesses as if they were facts. To ask them directly: feedback@evernote.com.