Evernote 10.68.2 broken on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) on MacOS Monterey v12.2.1 (21D62)

• Level 5*

To fix occasional errors with installs or updates on laptops or desktops - plus issues with speed or lag

1 - Make sure your notes are synced up to date 
2 - Exit Evernote (if you can) / delete data from device
3 - Uninstall app with Appcleaner (Mac) or Revo Uninstaller Free (Win)
4 - Power device off / allow 10 seconds / power back on
5 - Download latest Evernote from Evernote.com
6 - Reinstall.  It will take a little while for the app to be fully operational

Additional Checks:

Verify Evernote's Hardware Acceleration is set to ON - go to Tools > Settings > Preferences > Application and scroll to the bottom.  The "hardware acceleration disabled" box should be UNticked,  but if you're having issues change that setting and restart the device.  (Come back and change it again if that doesn't help!)

If you have any issues deleting Evernote data,  see: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500004231762-Remove-Evernote-data-from-your-Mac-or-Windows-device 

• Thanks 1

I have done this and Evernote MacOS Desktop, both updated from the previous version AND then re-installed fresh from a download from evernote.com and I still am getting a beachball of death within the entire Evernote App. I have done all the steps above, no improvements.

I used AppZapper to delete the Evernote.app as well as several other plist and other files, then re-installed the app. 

Still no change, spinning beachball of death, unable to load. Argh.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ooglek said:

MacOS Crash output attached

How long are you waiting after reinstalling?  Depending on the size of your database it can take a while after reinstalling to download everything and run smoothly.

We are only other users here.  Send your crash report to support.

Crash report sent to support already. Posted it here in case some magical other users know how to read the crash report or others can compare their crash report to their own to see if we have the same problem.

The size of my database shouldn't cause the Electron App to hang with a spinning beachball of death for 10+ minutes. I've got a 1Gbps wired Internet connection that works just fine to multiple speed tests around the US, both close by and far away, so I do not believe the size of my mostly-text-notes database is the cause of my problems. If you believe "it can take a while" is greater than 10 minutes on a fast Internet connection, and it looks like the app is broken because the OS is listing it as "Unresponsive" while loading, please elaborate. 

I cannot even access the Menu Bar items when evernote is in the Foreground.

Something is broken.

image.png.47dbb4ae5092388e32057d116c30c64f.png

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, ooglek said:

to hang with a spinning beachball of death for 10+ minutes.

First off, we are trying to help here.  Some folks have been too quick on the draw to consider something broken which is the reason behind my comment, but yes, a hang of 10 minutes means it is broken.  Maybe AppZapper is fine but Appcleaner was recommended for a reason.  It seems to work where other uninstallers fail.  I recommend trying again with Appcleaner to see if the results are any different.  Hopefully so, but if not, it is in support's hands (be patient - they are backlogged), or maybe some intrepid user will want to wade through your crash report.  I have Christmas shopping to do.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

9.3MB txt file - hmmmm, oh, no. That’s a book, full of garble. Maybe feed it to ChatGPT to have it make sense out of it.

I second the AppCleaner suggestion.

If it beachballs again after reinstalling, I assume there is a serious conflict somewhere. Any security software ? Try a repair install of MacOS  (I mean the sort that doesn’t reset anything) ?

Or last resort: Contact support.