How to import text file as a new note

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

• Level 5

Universal method: Open text file, ctrl/cmd A, ctrl/cmd-C, go to note, set cursor inside, ctrl/cmd-V.

On a Mac (but you don't tell which OS you use, always a useful information) I select the text file and select "Share". This creates a new note with the content of the text file as note body (not as attachment).

Couple of ideas.

1. If it really is a text file (extension .txt) it will appear inline within the note. This might be good enough for you, especially if you don't want to do alot of manual processing on lots of files

image.png.dcfe18823359dd3238eb9049742b6e4b.png

2. To  simplify @PinkElephant's "universal method", once you have copied the text you can use the Global EN keyboard shortcut (alt+ctrl+V) to create a new note directly without even going into EN (as long as it is open in the background). On windows you get a message saying.

image.png.74de91b1619dee520fa702d7fe4315a4.png

You can then go on to the next file without having to go in to EN

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Universal method: Open text file, ctrl/cmd A, ctrl/cmd-C, go to note, set cursor inside, ctrl/cmd-V.

On a Mac (but you don't tell which OS you use, always a useful information) I select the text file and select "Share". This creates a new note with the content of the text file as note body (not as attachment).

Hey, on Mac - is it possible to do it to a bunch of files? to create a note per each file

• Evernote Expert

I think you will need to do it file by file.

You could possibly create a macro to automate the process once you've opened the file but I can't think of any means of doing this as a batch process. Perhaps others will suggest something I've forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, kuskus110 said:

Hey, on Mac - is it possible to do it to a bunch of files? to create a note per each file

On the Mac you can select several text files at once, and then choose „Share“ from the dropdown menu.

This will create for each file a note, named after the file name, with the text files content as note body text (no attachment).

However if I add a single character into the „comment“ field of the sharing, only this text will appear in the note, and the file as attachment.

So it’s pretty fine tuned, but it works, and it works for a bunch of text files in one go.

• Like 2
  • Solution
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

On the Mac you can select several text files at once, and then choose „Share“ from the dropdown menu.

That's brilliant and made me look at Windows again.

If you right click on a  txt file in file explorer, choose "more options" and then send to Evernote you get exactly the same behaviour as sharing on Mac. Multiple files can be converted to multiple notes all at once, with the text of the files in the body of the notes - no attachments. I learned something new today!

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Mike P said:

That's brilliant and made me look at Windows again.

If you right click on a  txt file in file explorer, choose "more options" and then send to Evernote you get exactly the same behaviour as sharing on Mac. Multiple files can be converted to multiple notes all at once, with the text of the files in the body of the notes - no attachments. I learned something new today!

Wow nice! I actually don't see the option of "send to Evernote" in the context menu, but anyway I already finished the import successfully before i saw the recent comments, so ill detail what i did.

originally what i tried to do is import all my notes from a samsung device to my new iphone, thats how i did it:

1. export all notes as txt files and send them to the computer

2. i wrote a python script that uses the evernote.exe to import the txt files with the content as the body of the notes

3. i did this process to each folder of notes i had, importing each folder to a different notebook

4. export each notebook to a .enex file

5. send the files to the iphone and for each file "share" through the notes app - it will import all the notes

• Like 1