Possible serious bug with Evernote for Mac, 10.65.2 (latest update)

I'm typically running the latest versions of my software, including Evernote for Mac. I think it was yesterday I updated to 10.65.2. What I've discovered is that I now can't duplicate Notes. I also can't delete Notes (even by dragging them to the left column to the Trash category. In both cases, I get a small read warning "Failed to delete note."

I went to Evernote Web. There I *can* delete Notes (to the Trash). But I can't duplicate a Note. I searched and found the official way to do it in Evernote Web at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052533433-Make-a-copy-of-a-note. But that says to go to the 3 dots and to Duplicate the Note or Copy to to duplicate the Note to a different Notebook. 

Unfortunately, the only choice I get under the 3 dots is "Copy notelink," not the other 2 choices to allow duplicating the Note.

In Evernote for Mac, I did try repeatedly, quitting and relaunching the app. I also rebooted my Mac (which is running macOS 14.1. Neither solve the Evernote issue.

Help, please!

• Level 5*

Hi.  If the update corrupted something in your system,  the best thing would be to sign out / remove your database / uninstall using Appcleaner or similar / power off and back on / re-download from Evernote.com and reinstall / sign back in.  Takes about 30 minutes for the reinstall and a day or so while your  system rebuilds the local structure. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I am running EN 10.65.2 on macOS Sonoma 14.1 as well.

I can duplicate notes ...

I can send notes to the trash ...

I think you have a corrupted local database, and should follow the advise posted by @gazumped . It is a well know fact that corruption of the local data can happen, and that removing the entire install and reinstalling will usually solve the issue. Make sure to use AppCleaner - the standard Mac uninstall will NOT erase the corrupted local database.

• Level 5

Yes, that's the correct source I use as well.

I would keep it on the Mac, it is a very useful small tool.

If it would be distributed through the AppStore it couldn't work. AppStore apps are restricted in their execution - they couldn't reach out and grab all information necessary to find all program parts, because the sandbox wouldn't allow them to go everywhere.

Noted. Thanks!

In signing out of Evernote, I chose *not* to save a backup locally, which I trust was the right choice. 😉

Is there a difference between downloading Evernote fresh from Evernote.com vs. the App Store? Newer versions first on Evernote.com?

• Level 5

The main difference is that any app from the AppStore runs in a sandbox. This means it is restricted by MacOS, and can't easily leave the enclosure. The advantage is that these apps are notarized by Apple, and are running on a higher level of trust, not expecting an admin user and password to update, for example.

With EN this sandbox mode can lead to all sort of minor malfunctions, for example sharing between apps not working.

If possible, the direct download should be installed.

• Level 5

That's the AppStore version then.

Remove the app through the AppStore. Reinstall the app from the website. Without any further action, now use AppCleaner to remove it again.

Download it a second time, now you can install, open and log in.

The EN files are in the Trash. I don't think I've ever removed an app from the App Store before. In the App Store it simply shows that I can download Evernote (with that icon), nothing about removing it from the App Store.

Thanks for your help. I hadn't realized this fix would be so complex.

• Like 1

Problem finally solved! 🙂 

I reinstalled from the installer file off Evernote.com.

I signed in to Evernote, signed out of Evernote.

Using the latest version of CleanMyMac X with its Uninstaller feature, I chose Evernote.

It found and selected 4 files, uninstalled them. 

I shut down my Mac.

I rebooted my Mac.

I reinstalled from the installer file off Evernote.com

I signed in.

Finally I could delete files (send to Trash) as well as duplicate them, which I couldn't do hours ago.

One step I'd missed from @gazumped was the shutting down my Mac, rebooting. So *maybe* AppCleaner would have worked if I'd done those steps.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I'm sorry for my "takes about 30 minutes" comment now...  Have you contacted Support?  Hopefully you'll have this fixed before they get back to you,  but you might as well reserve a place in the queue.  Meantime - can you work with the web version instead of the installed app?  Maybe give it up for today and try again tomorrow!

Unlike the past (and I've used Evernote for many years now, have nearly 100,000 Notes), I looked yesterday and today for how to contact Support and couldn't find any way to do it *now*. Even finding this Forum took a lot of time. Do you have a URL for how to place a request (as I did in the past) via a Support page chat box/email to them, to get an email reply?

When I've looked under "Help and Support" I get just topics. Some pages have had in red letters that Evernote seems to be rebuilding/redoing how they offer support. (See screenshot.)

When I even used their Search bae to find this Forum, I got no hits that helped.

Support_for_EN.png

• 2 weeks later...

Once I updated to Evernote for Mac v10.65.3, the problems I was having, noted above, disappeared. 🙂

When I go to the link you gave above and select, say, for technical issues, I get this (see screenshot): simply a blank, white window below my choice. Not helpful.

no_help.png

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Once you make a basic choice of support topic it should go on to ask you for more details.  If it doesn't I think that's more of a local issue than an Evernote issue.  There's actually a 10.66 version out now - have you updated?  Do you still have issues?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Good for you that everything works again. Since I didn’t have the initial problem, I can’t reproduce any of what was described. 

If it went away I rather think it was removed with the corrupted local database at some point, not by an update.