lost a year of notes (windows client and web client in Chrome)

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I've been using Evernote for YEARS with no issues. I usually use my iPhone app and the web client in Chrome on my Windows 11 laptop. In Chrome, I usually check the "remember me for 30 days" check box and only have to re-authenticate once a month. This morning, I was asked to re-authenticate, when I signed in, the most recent note is from nearly a year ago (December 2022). I use Evernote every single day, so this was quite frightening! I opened the app on my iPhone, and it is up-to-date. My next step was to clear my Chrome cache, it didn't fix it. I then downloaded the windows app. When I opened it, it said I needed to unsync the chrome browser instance (I'm a free user and can only have 2 devices synced), so I did. When I signed into the windows app, it was the same as Chrome, the most recent note is from last year. I don't dare close the app on my iPhone for fear I'll lose everything...What is going on?

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  If you went over the two device limit Evernote may be confused about how many devices are connected to the account.  You know you only have two,  but is Evernote aware of that?  (And by the way Web access counts as a device).  See the information in the Help pages to check and ensure you only use two devices - which I would suggest should be the iPhone and the Web on your Windows device.  Understanding the device limit

To add to your woes the current iOS app seems to have some issues of its own,  and syncing with the web server - which should hold the 'parent' cop of your account and all its notes - has been erratic.  If you can log into your browser,  check the account settings for whether you are using the new browser version or not.  Whichever version it shows,  try the other and see whether your 'lost' notes re-appear.

Finally use this link to submit a ticket with the issue type 'Account' - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true - they're very busy,  so you'll wait several days for a human response.  :unsure:

Caveat:  I don't use iOS myself so someone else here might have more helpful suggestions!

Hi

I am free member of Evernote since 2013. and was using evernote on android some time ago without any issues.

but recently tried to login with no success.

Forced to change my password and now all my notes are gone and some incorrect notes are in my account.(Sure that they are not mine and maybe belongs to others !)

Both Android and Web versions shows the incorrect notes that none of them are mine.
My notes include important data and I never believe to loose them.

Any help would be appreciated.

It was the chrome browser update that fixed it! Chrome didn't tell me I had an update until I opened settings. What a relief! Thank you!

Although I'm really puzzled why the Windows app was showing the same wrong info. I did verify I had only 2 devices the Devices setting. 

Edited by anticdisposition
Updated with more info
  • Like 1
  • Level 5
On 11/3/2023 at 5:01 PM, majidmir said:

Hi

I am free member of Evernote since 2013. and was using evernote on android some time ago without any issues.

but recently tried to login with no success.

Forced to change my password and now all my notes are gone and some incorrect notes are in my account.(Sure that they are not mine and maybe belongs to others !)

Both Android and Web versions shows the incorrect notes that none of them are mine.
My notes include important data and I never believe to loose them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums. An account with all notes missing is often the result of accidentally entering in the wrong email address when logging in to Evernote. This result in creating a new account. We see reports of this about every week here. Check that you are using the right credentials and see if that gets you back to your notes.

In this case, though, it sounds as if you have somehow accidentally entered the credentials for some other account altogether, and that is something I've never heard of.

20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Welcome to the forums. An account with all notes missing is often the result of accidentally entering in the wrong email address when logging in to Evernote. This result in creating a new account. We see reports of this about every week here. Check that you are using the right credentials and see if that gets you back to your notes.

In this case, though, it sounds as if you have somehow accidentally entered the credentials for some other account altogether, and that is something I've never heard of.

Thank you very much.
I found the issue and that was exactly what you mentioned.
I used another email to sign-in since I forgot the main email address associated with my account !
Now I used my google account and all my notes recovered.
but the very strange issue is that why Evernote put the notes from someone else to my new account !
This is a security disaster

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, majidmir said:

why Evernote put the notes from someone else to my new account !
This is a security disaster

Please give full details to Support - they can investigate further... 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Free plan has no support🤣
Even I am not able to report this issue to help Evernote team to solve this big security issue !
I guess the whole database is either hacked or corrupted and random notes from existing accounts are mixed with new accounts
In my new account there are several files that I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.
Attached is the screenshot of support page
I have to upgrade from free plan for email support 😂

support_page.png

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, majidmir said:

Even I am not able to report this issue to help Evernote team to solve this big security issue !
I guess the whole database is either hacked or corrupted and random notes from existing accounts are mixed with new accounts
In my new account there are several files that I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.

? Seems like you are having a very bad day.  Try https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true - and issue type "Account"

12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

? Seems like you are having a very bad day.  Try https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true - and issue type "Account"

Sorry, but I followed your link and could not find any "Account" item
I tried all the possible options in the support page but there is not any option to report this issue to Evernote.
could you please send me a screenshot of the relevant page ?

• Level 5

You blocked access yourself by selecting „Technical Issues“.

You need to select „Account“ as ticket type, then you can proceed even as Free user or Guest.

image.thumb.png.045c85cc2cec987e58ecdd80cfe64204.png

If you had mentioned earlier that you are on Free, we would have told.

• Like 1