Changes to the free tier - please BS - add a basic tier!

• Level 5*

Back on the original topic...  I just looked at Evernote's blog post again and noticed @Federico comment that "the majority of free users" fall within the 50-note limit.  (Which of course is the sort of thing that any company would say as good PR anyway...)  

-Of course we've also seen some ranting from 'loyal users with thousands of notes' about the unwarranted restriction of their access.

The 'less than 50 notes' scenario would fit with someone who set up an account but doesn't actually use it for much,  or tried and gave up.  IMHO if you're going to keep more than a few notes anywhere you must be a subscriber to your service;  you at least get some rights and privileges and access to help,  and have some credibility if you have reason to complain.

Although it's taken way too long this time I think Evernote is doing the right thing in fixing an unprofitable drain on their resources.  No board is ever going to take the view  that continuing a 'free' service should cost the company money.  In UK law that would be something that would annoy shareholders and could get directors fired...

Now like every other provider that offers a number of days free trial (often on the basis of requiring payment details up front and 'cancel if you don't like it' - which has caught me before now) users can try out almost all of Evernote's features before they pay or move on.  Balance has returned to the universe.

I mentioned before that the upload limit (or was it note size?) for top-rate subscribers was once removed - Unlimited Uploads lasted for a week or two before the torrent of uploaded content (vague pun intended) convinced Evernote to revert to the current levels.  They're still (I would guess) one of the biggest data-centre customers around - in the top 10 at least.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

They're still (I would guess) one of the biggest data-centre customers around - in the top 10 at least.

You might be surprised. According to a Google cloud case study, link below, Evernote only has about 3.5 PB in storage. That's peanuts among big storage users. Definitely not top-100, probably not even top-1000.

https://cloud.google.com/customers/evernote

• Thanks 1