Improve the Tasks features & user experience

MMCFEE

Idea

Would love to see Evernote improve on the user experience for their Tasks feature. I just started using Evernote and am hesitant to move all my tasks into a separate task manager. But, as I'm setting up my tasks in Evernote, I'm finding the task features very limited. I'm considering using ToDoist as my separate task manager now. Would love to see Evernote implement the following to their tasks list so its more functional:

• Full screen task list (**this is probably the number one issue for me**) 
  • Ability to add tags to tasks
  • Ability to add small one or two line notes to a task, so you can add a phone number or a link, etc.  (but only viewable if you expand the task)
  • Ability to add priorities

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  On your various requests...  maybe:

Full screen task list (**this is probably the number one issue for me**) 

Create a new note to include a task,  create a Table fo Contents note to list all notes/ tasks in editable order

Ability to add tags to tasks

Create a new note to include a task,  add tags

Ability to add small one or two line notes to a task, so you can add a phone number or a link, etc.  (but only viewable if you expand the task)

Create a new note to include a task,  include notes

Ability to add priorities

Create a new note to include a task,  tag / use ToC / use notebooks for priorities

Create a table of contents

• Like 2

Sometimes we need to take things into our own hands rather than wait for EN. This is how I solve three of your issues.

17 hours ago, MMCFEE said:

Ability to add tags to tasks

The search within tasks is good and recognises emojis, punctuation etc. So just create your own tagging system and search for them. For example $R will only find $R and not R by itself.

image.png.7fc7f7555ce70258238160905fadfaa1.png

Ability to add small one or two line notes to a task, so you can add a phone number or a link, etc.  (but only viewable if you expand the task)

I put the notes in the parent note and then use right click 🢂  "go to note" to quickly get to them

Ability to add priorities

I use emojis🔴🟠 🔵◯ and   for my priorities

image.png.fb6de91b96d6aea978eadf1c53f15704.png

In the absence of saved filters I have an AutoHotkey script that opens tasks, selects due date for the last 14 days, goes to the "My tasks" tab and orders by title. I can also filter for a particular priority by simply adding the emoji to the filter box. Note: It is much easier to use emojis if you have a program, like AHK, that converts a string to an emoji. So if I type ..r I get 🔴 

• Like 5
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, MMCFEE said:

I'm considering using ToDoist as my separate task manager now

FWIW I moved from Todoist to using Tasks.  It is implemented differently from a standard task manager but once you get used to that I found it works fine.  That said, it is missing some features that I hope it will add some day.

Some of these questions get asked frequently.  I think Evernote could benefit from a good help article that would assist new users onboarding to tasks from a more traditional todo app.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

That‘s a tasks overview. I think it‘s OK, but it won‘t answer the specifics of somebody switching over from a task manager. Usually the questions are different as well, because Todoist works differently from Things 3, for example.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003792141

There is some more stuff on the Evernote YT site:

https://youtube.com/@evernote?si=QIKT-1sYXnOptIl6

Unfortunately, since the acquisition no new content was added. It seems this department is entirely deserted for now.

• Like 1