how to sort notes by the notebook they're stored in?

My notes are stored in notebooks that carry the names of the place where I will perform the task (following the GTD principles).

Problem in v10: as far as I can see, there's no way to sort the notes by location, so they're all scrambled up.

Actually, there's only 3 fields you can sort upon; title, date update and date created. Why only those 3? There are so many fields on one note that can be useful to sort on...

31 minutes ago, Didgeridoo said:

Why only those 3?

Good question, but no answer from Evernote staff that I recall seeing.  I saw that they are possibly working on making it so we can sort by tag though? Hopefully sort on location and size could be coming with it...?

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Search by notebook:<name> to get a list of notes within that notebook.  What device / OS and Evernote version do you normally use?

I use the windows version, but I don't want a view for one specific notebook. What I want is a view on the notes inside a stack called 'errands' for example, which contains notebooks for different places to go to. All the notes in that stack should be viewable in one simple view, sorted by notebook/place to go.

In previous version of evernote this was peanuts

• Level 5*

There's presumably another factor - are you looking for places to go today?  Or places that have an outstanding task?  I'm thinking that if you convert your notebook place names to tags,  and also have the other search factor,  you can produce a list of (for example) things to do today and filter that by place-tags.  Others here may have better ideas.

26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

There's presumably another factor - are you looking for places to go today?  Or places that have an outstanding task?  I'm thinking that if you convert your notebook place names to tags,  and also have the other search factor,  you can produce a list of (for example) things to do today and filter that by place-tags.  Others here may have better ideas.

One of the differences between a notebook and a tag, is that a note can have multiple tags attached to it, but only one notebook where it's stored in. So obviously a task has to be done in one single place and can therefore not be replaced by tags.

• Level 5

Use the filters options to define any combination of notebooks, tags, tasks and other elements.

It creates a list based on your requirements.

If you need it frequently, you can save it as a search. If you view it daily, you can make it show in one of the widgets on your Home dashboard. The more advanced subscriptions offer better possibilities to customize Home.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Use the filters options to define any combination of notebooks, tags, tasks and other elements.

It creates a list based on your requirements.

If you need it frequently, you can save it as a search. If you view it daily, you can make it show in one of the widgets on your Home dashboard. The more advanced subscriptions offer better possibilities to customize Home.

Thanks, but then still a list of notes will be generated where the so-called locations are all scrambled up. I want them kept together. 'Home', does not offer anything near a solution to this subject.

• Level 5*

I'm assuming that there aren't so many places that you could not have a search for place + trigger for each one,  so your tasks could be sorted into several locations in separate notes.  There's actually a subscription app 'Filterize' that could put all those searches into one Table of Contents note for you and update it on a regular basis,  but that involves extra cost.

We don't really know enough about your process to suggest a viable alternative,  but I'm sure there should be one based on tags and searches.  If you're unhappy with that,  then Evernote may bring back more searchable columns in future, but its uncertain whether or when that might happen.  It might or might not be before Legacy finally stops working.

Your alternative then will be to find another app with a format that allows for your process.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help.