Installed v10 after avoiding it for three years; feedback from a time traveller.

Go to solution Solved by Boot17,

When v10 arrived somewhere in 2020, I tried it and very soon rolled back because of the sheer number of functionality that had disappeared. I thought it might be better to just wait until the '‘teething pains' were gone. Three years later and I was finally forced this week to install the latest version because my older version was too 'outdated'. That expression could not have been more cynical.

I am completely amazed with the immense regression that this is. I have never seen any software where an 'update' of three years later is actually taking back so much basic functionality and not even giving anything interesting in return. Three years have gone by and all these 'teething pains' are simply still there and unaddressed. For example;

• There is no way to save a view for every saved search. So every time you use another shortcut, you have to manually adjust the view that is best suited for it.
  • Opening a linked note in a new window by holding shift when you click the link: gone! Result: numerous more clicking to get back where you were originally.
  • Sync button: gone! Result: wait and see.
  • Sorting reminders; extremely cumbersome, only available through that weird reminder tab that doesn't have any other use, and is visible only when all the notes are visible. My god this is such an irritating one.
  • The app is way slower as well, showing frequent lagging.
  • UI font is gigantic; the amount of scrolling is just crazy.

These items I noticed after one day of use only. Evernote became very stiff and what I find very worrisome, is that in three years all this is still just there. What's the message here?

• Like 1

Same here ...waited until I was forced to upgrade and hugely disappointed.

All of the above complaints plus:

• editing toolbar runs off the right side of the page with no arrows to get it back
  • application doesn't maintain the windows size I set so next time I launch it reverts to a different window size
  • Everything is worse in every way that I can think of...
  • I'll be looking for a replacement.
  • Level 5

Fine with those who have left, because you will join them.

Fine with us, who like the new version and can do without more nagging from somebody on his way out. You guys stick way too much with wanting every nitty bitty detail exactly as you are used to it.

v10 is no replica of legacy (😱), it’s a fresh app in its own right. Learn (!) and use it, or goodbye.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

There do seem to be a few tens of millions of people out there who don't have these issues,  or at least not so significantly that they affect normal use of the app.  It is possible to improve app response times by doing some local housekeeping on internet access,  memory and free disk space,  but if you don't use the new app,  you'll lose access to your notes sometimes fairly soon.  Your choice.

• Like 1
  1. There are definitely things in Legacy that work better than v10.
    • Also, some features never even made it to v10.
  2. There are definitely things in v10 that work better than Legacy.
    • Some features in v10 were not in Legacy
  3. There are definitely things in v10 that are comparable to Legacy but can take some time to get used to.
    • This was definitely true for me and I see it reflected in some of the threads on the forum, including this one 
    • See below for one recent example**

-------

** -- Here is a four day journey that is just one example of the above:

Day 1:

• There are major limitations with the latest version. Some of you beg to differ god knows why these basic functions you would not care about?
  • Like changing the creation date/time stamp.. inability to right click and open with.
  • Listen, it's all about productivity and the latest version makes me work double hard when working with my notes / documents etc
  • I'm super annoyed and I've got pressing issues going on only to be presented with the message below which popped up out of the blue.
  • What's the situation here? Am I now forced to upgrade to the latest edition to get rid of the banner?
  • I've emailed support. I'm SUPER ANNOYED !!! 

Day 4:

• Just dropping by with a little update from my end. It's day three with v10 for me, and I couldn't be happier. It's truly surpassed my expectations!
  • For anyone feeling a tad nervous about making the switch, I was right there with you, but I'm genuinely pleased with v10. And it's only going to get better from here. I've popped in a request to see if we could tweak the updated date stamp, but that's about it. Everything else has been smooth sailing, with just the occasional slow loading moment, but it’s nothing too bothersome really.
  • All in all, I'm well pleased!

Story Source:

Also - YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Solution

@Boot17 analysis and personal opinion on mentioned points of pain -- free of charge: (I'm joking -- just trying to be light-hearted here for a somewhat heavy discussion cause I know this is frustrating stuff). (Edit - Also sorry for the long comment I don't know what got into me.)

For context, I remember seeing Evernote for this first time when it was that scrolling tape thing. I think I installed it and used it too, but can't remember for sure. I didn't really start using Evernote until like 2012/2013 (and became a Plus subscriber 2016 and Personal in 2022). So I'm no stranger to Legacy. Also - I didn't join the forums until late 2020 and I joined because v10 was driving me nuts and I had to see what the heck was going on and comment about it! I'm not sure I even knew there were forums before then.

Also - to be clear - I don't fault anyone for thinking v10 is worse or doesn't suit them.

• Some people's work flows have been broken by v10
  • Some don't like v10 for whatever valid reasons
  • Some have been using Evernote for so long when it was really the only note taking app around and now there are 50 of them! And some of them are fantastic. Chances are good that something out there is better for you now than v10 (or even Legacy)!

---

• There is no way to save a view for every saved search. So every time you use another shortcut, you have to manually adjust the view that is best suited for it.
    • Unfortunate (but not a personal bother for me)
  • Opening a linked note in a new window by holding shift when you click the link: gone! Result: numerous more clicking to get back where you were originally.
    • I can't live without notes in a new Window and use them all the time. Try Ctrl-Click for Windows or Cmd-Click for Mac.
    • (You must be on Windows too else you'd complain about lack of tabs which was awesome on Legacy Mac)
  • Sync button: gone! Result: wait and see.
    • Unnecessary. RTE in v10 beats this hands down once the note exists on devices*. I use Evernote on 6 different devices. (*They are working on improving initial sync time of a newly created note -- but still pretty good for me personally.)
  • Sorting reminders; extremely cumbersome, only available through that weird reminder tab that doesn't have any other use, and is visible only when all the notes are visible. My god this is such an irritating one.
    • Unfortunate. I don't use reminders, I use tasks which are much, much, much better than Reminders. Reminders do exist somewhat in v10 though and yes - I agree - sorting is broken on them.
    • Also the reminders tab is visible when any filtered note list contains even a single note that has a reminder (not just when all the notes are visible)
  • The app is way slower as well, showing frequent lagging.
    • Also somewhat unfortunate, I agree somewhat although v10 speeds have greatly improved (especially once all your data is in-sync. If you just hopped onto v10 desktop and your notes are all downloading at the same time you are trying to use it...) It's fairly fast for me and not a concern, but yes -- still slower than Legacy, but fine enough.
  • UI font is gigantic; the amount of scrolling is just crazy.
    • Haha - yes - the font is bigger, but I love the UI so much more than Legacy oh my. Also it's so consistent across Web, Mac, Windows, and mobile. Oh - this is so so so much better.

---

• editing toolbar runs off the right side of the page with no arrows to get it back
    • This broke recently when they stuck that huge AI Note Cleanup button on there (which I'm not a fan of -- either the button or the tool). Hope they fix it.
  • application doesn't maintain the windows size I set so next time I launch it reverts to a different window size
    • Hrm, it does for me.
  • Everything is worse in every way that I can think of...
    • In some ways for me (but I forget them more and more as time goes by), but definitely not in most ways.
  • I'll be looking for a replacement.
    • This was me too. I've spent literally over a hundred hours doing this. Not a total waste, it's been fun and I have a good feel for note apps I like (Obsidian - awesome, UpNote - awesome, Bear - pretty ok, Apple Notes - nah, Standard Notes - Hrm, maybe. Craft - close, but no. Agenda - no. NoteJoy - no. Joplin - no. Notion - vomit. + 20 more.)
    • So seriously have fun with this and good luck!
  • Like 5

Thanks Boot17 for that extensive and constructive answer.

Thanks for the ctrl-click on a link to open in a new window, that just did the trick.

But the reminder tab on my UI is definitely not visible on filtered results.

image.png.3225550d0d755e32473af0f96fcbf230.png

• Like 1

Oof - yeah you are right. Looks like reminders are only showing for me under these circumstances:

• All notes list (no filters)
  • Selected individual notebook note list
  • Selected individual notebook note list with filter

but not showing:

• All notes list with filter
  • A selected stack note list
  • Any note list from any free text search -- whether all notes are just a specific notebook

I wonder if some of that used to work better and it was broken recently or if that's the way it was designed to work (but yeah - doesn't seem great/consistent if that is the design -- especially for heavy tag/search and reminder users)

• Like 1