Exporting notes to PDF

• Level 5

A pdf is a format that doesn’t support „wrapped“ files inside of it. When the note (which is sort of a small website) is converted into a pdf, it can’t hold another pdf. It will show a pdf symbol, but nothing is behind it.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

A pdf is a format that doesn’t support „wrapped“ files inside of it. When the note (which is sort of a small website) is converted into a pdf, it can’t hold another pdf. It will show a pdf symbol, but nothing is behind it.

maybe no "wrapped" files but the pdf format does support hyperlinks to other documents

• Level 5

Yes, and where would the links point ?

To the UUID of the original note ? To an exported file, in a folder ? Relative or absolute path ?

If one wants to keep the notes and the attachments, there is HTML, and there is ENEX. I don’t think it is necessary to make out of a simple „export to pdf“ a proof of concept for a deep data structure, just to build a third attachment proof export format.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, and where would the links point ?

To the UUID of the original note ? To an exported file, in a folder ? Relative or absolute path ?

If one wants to keep the notes and the attachments, there is HTML, and there is ENEX. I don’t think it is necessary to make out of a simple „export to pdf“ a proof of concept for a deep data structure, just to build a third attachment proof export format.

Yes, it should be another folder as a relative path. But I agree, that should be covered by the HTML export. Unfortunately there is still an open issue with hyperlinks (for years now), that's why I wrote my own enex to html converter, it supports :

• working hyperlinks (not working in V10 HTML export)
  • relative note links to other html notes (not working in V10 HTML export)
  • backlinks to notes (in progress)
  • all image types are embedded or navigable, also tiff etc (not working in V10 HTML export)
  • same image sizes as in note (not working in V10 HTML export)
  • all note info is shown in info table (not working in V10 HTML export)
    • create and update time
    • source
    • location, full address where the note has been created and corresponding URL to google maps (not even working in the V10 desktop  clients)
    • tags list, starting with '#' to allow search for specific tags
  • encrypted text decrypted with pw 
  • dark theme option (in progress)
  • very compact and readable HTML:  a single line note is converted to 1 KB HTML while this takes 355 KB in V10 HTML !!!

My converter generates a report about enex file consistency problems such as Untitled notes etc

The result is a folder structure containing html notes and it's resources, similar as the V10 HTML export folder with that difference that notes may link to each other and their attachments. So it acts as a mini website on your local disk, or you can even host it on your private server if you like...

• Like 3