Sluggish scrolling

Hello, 

I have been using Legacy but see that I should really start looking into using v10 more.  The issue I am having is that it is extremely sluggish to scroll through my notebooks in the sidebar, and then lags also when I want to create a new notebook.  I have been using the desktop client, not the website.  I have Windows 10.  I checked, and I have updated to the latest version.  Do you know what could be making it so slow?  This is what has been keeping me from using it over Legacy- the features are fine for what I use it for, but the delays are making it unusable to me. 

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi.  The 'latest version' is a rapidly moving target these days - I'd suggest you go to https://evernote.com/download to get another installer file and then run that on your system.  I'm on 10.61.10 and have no trouble scrolling.

Do you still have your Legacy version installed?  New Evernote installs seem to delete the Legacy files (not the database,  just the excutables) so if you have a legayc installer somewhere I'd keep it safe in case of need.

Have you tried using the web version?  That runs separately from the installed version so if you have a slow scroll on both,  there may be other issues at work.

I'm also noticing this sluggish behavior, using 10.61.10 on an otherwise very fast Windows 10 laptop. There seem to be lags with almost every action in the interface - scrolling, opening notes, menu items - even the "about" dialog initially takes a second to load (on the second try it was immediate). Personally I'd much rather have a fast and responsive interface with the existing feature set than additional features (AI) that I didn't ask for.

7 minutes ago, Rense said:

I'm also noticing this sluggish behavior, using 10.61.10 on an otherwise very fast Windows 10 laptop. There seem to be lags with almost every action in the interface - scrolling, opening notes, menu items - even the "about" dialog initially takes a second to load (on the second try it was immediate). Personally I'd much rather have a fast and responsive interface with the existing feature set than additional features (AI) that I didn't ask for.

I don't see this lag myself on Windows. Maybe a dodgy install.

10.62.2 is out on the download page, could be worth a try to see if it fixes anything.

I also did not want to imply that any impropriety was implied 🙂 - just asking for clarification of what could be wrong with my installation.

I just updated but that doesn't seem to help; I'll do a clean install when I find the time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rense said:

What do you mean by a "dodgy install"?

Apologies. I used a colloquialism. Dodgy in the sense of an install that maybe didn't work correctly.

If you reinstall it may reset any errors.

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 4:17 PM, Backinmotionvet said:

... The issue I am having is that it is extremely sluggish to scroll through my notebooks in the sidebar, and then lags also when I want to create a new notebook.  I have been using the desktop client, not the website ...

Hello,

I experience this behavior since a very long time. I took it as "normal", like a lack of interest of Evernote Team towards Windows users. I think I read somewhere that "if you have problems with the desktop application, just use the web version".

The problem is this only with the left sidebar where are the notebooks, the next pane which is the notes list, is very responsive.

As said, I experienced this since a long time, and in the mean time I didn't only reinstall Evernote, but the whole Windows OS. The "glitch" is consistent between reinstall. I even have the feeling that I had this problem on my previous laptop (about 4 years ago), I don't remember exactly.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have a several years old Windows 10 laptop which has 8GB memory and a 1TB SSD and runs the latest Evernote very quickly indeed.  It's faster now than it has ever been.  If anyone is having issues,  please specify your OS and Evernote version numbers - we'd probably suggest a clean reinstall;  remove Evernote from your device using Revo Uninstaller or AppCleaner (Mac);  power the device off and on again,  and reinstall.  If that doesn't help you probably need  more help than we can give - contact Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• Like 1