Evernote 10 does not load on windows 8.1

Laptop using windows 8.1

Evernote-10.49.4 => OK, but NOW upgrade-message-screen urge to load the latest version.

• When reinstall to Evernote-10.49.4, it can load yet cannot use anyway, because I cannot dismiss the message screen.(X-sign turn grey)

Evernote-10.58.8 => can not load, used to use Evernote-10.49.4

Evernote-10.60.4 => can not load.

Please let we can dismiss the Upgrade message screen, thus can use older version that can load normally.

- Some Angry User for a long time

Clipboard01.jpg

4 小時前, gazumped說:

Hi.  Windows 8.1 is no longer supported by Microsoft.  You need Windows 10/11 to run Evernote.  The current version of Evernote is 10.61.3

Hi, i know that.

Yet I have to stay on Windows 8.1 for now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2023-08-28 23:04

Now Evernote-10.49.4 can load normally, and the upgrade window won't show up.

Thus I can stay on Evernote-10.49.4 with Windows 8.1 for now.

Thanks to anyone who save this.

• Level 5

Just for the record: Any computer able to handle Windows 8.1 can handle Win10 as well. The license key will work as well - so I see no real reason not to update.

With Windows 7 / 10 some software may not work. With 8.1 I am not aware of such cases. But they may exist, for some exotic software.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 12:30 AM, PinkElephant said:

Just for the record: Any computer able to handle Windows 8.1 can handle Win10 as well. The license key will work as well - so I see no real reason not to update.

With Windows 7 / 10 some software may not work. With 8.1 I am not aware of such cases. But they may exist, for some exotic software.

Wrong - my computer runs Windows 8.1 and any attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 is met with the message that computer does not meet the requirements for Windows 10. So while Windows 8.1 is no longer supported by Microsoft, Evernote is the only program that now longer works under Windows 8.1 ... although Evernote Legacy works enough so that I can migrate data off Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You could google the update methods. I said it is technically possible - not that Microsoft encourages it. Sometimes it takes a little tweaking.

Beside this it doesn’t really matter if in your case EN is the only app that refuses to execute on an outdated OS. EN uses a modern framework to run (basically a Chromium browser without a front end). This is the part that won’t execute, not the app itself.

Every App based on the same framework (and there are plenty) wouldn’t run either.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You could google the update methods. I said it is technically possible - not that Microsoft encourages it. Sometimes it takes a little tweaking.

Beside this it doesn’t really matter if in your case EN is the only app that refuses to execute on an outdated OS. EN uses a modern framework to run (basically a Chromium browser without a front end). This is the part that won’t execute, not the app itself.

Every App based on the same framework (and there are plenty) wouldn’t run either.

Thanks for the explanation of why it hasn't run in Windows 8.1. I don't have any other applications affected so it is simply easier to migrate notes from 2009 to now rather than replace the entire OS prior to my testing of what might not work on Windows 11 (which where I will end up with an upgraded computer). One program simply doesn't justify for me the time investment at this time. 

On 8/29/2023 at 12:30 AM, PinkElephant said:

Wrong - my computer runs Windows 8.1 and any attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 is met with the message that computer does not meet the requirements for Windows 10. So while Windows 8.1 is no longer supported by Microsoft, Evernote is the only program that now longer works under Windows 8.1 ... although Evernote Legacy works enough so that I can migrate data off Evernote.

• Level 5

This are the system requirements of installing Windows 10 - they are so basic that even a low budget computer will match. I mean: 1 GHz processor ? 2 GB of RAM ? DirectX 9 ? Display with 800x600 pixels ? It doesn’t run Windows 8.1, but my Apple Watch probably does better.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-system-requirements-6d4e9a79-66bf-7950-467c-795cf0386715

What can be: The latest update of 8.1 needs to be installed (user action), and it requires a certain amount of free disk space (user action).

• 4 weeks later...
在 2023/8/26 在 PM11點14分, Mizzle Tsai說:

Laptop using windows 8.1

Evernote-10.49.4 => OK, but NOW upgrade-message-screen urge to load the latest version.

• When reinstall to Evernote-10.49.4, it can load yet cannot use anyway, because I cannot dismiss the message screen.(X-sign turn grey)

Evernote-10.58.8 => can not load, used to use Evernote-10.49.4

Evernote-10.60.4 => can not load.

Please let we can dismiss the Upgrade message screen, thus can use older version that can load normally.

- Some Angry User for a long time

Clipboard01.jpg

2023-10-06

Now the issue happens again !

I can NOT use latest version, while Evernote-10.49.4 urge me to upgrade without any other way.

It come to a dead end.

Why we cannot keep using Evernote-10.49.4 on Win 8.1 ?

• Evernote Expert

Evernote v10 has been withdrawn for versions before 10.60

But, in any case, the Electron framework which runs Evernote doesn't support Windows 8.

You should treat updating to at least Windows 10.

Otherwise I'm afraid that your time with Evernote is likely to be at an end.