Unable to manually sort the order of notes and notebooks

evansad

Idea

9 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, evansad said:

There needs to be a way to manually sort notes to make sets of notes easier to organise.

EN has never allowed you to custom sort your notes in the way that you would like. Just like you can't in the file explorer in Windows for example. Even if they did suddenly have a change of heart and introduced the feature it's not going to happen any time soon. There are various methods that people use to organise sets of notes. Off the top of my head these include:

1. Sort by title and make the title sort in the way you want it. You could even prefix each note with a 2 or 3 digit number.
  2. If you are not bothered about the creation date you can change the creation date and sort by creation date
  3. Use tags to break up the "set of notes" so that each tag has a manageable number of notes under it
  4. Create a TOC note. Select the notes, copy the internal links and paste into a numbered list in a new note. You can then drag the items around in whatever order you like and it will automatically renumber. You could even break the list up with different headings. The only difficulty is that you need to remember to update the TOC every time you create a new note.
5 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Even if they did suddenly have a change of heart and introduced the feature it's not going to happen any time soon.

Don't give up 😉. Former versions offered possibilities to sort any column that is (or might be made) visible in the note list. This includes by location (notebook), tag, updated-time, reminder-time and reminder-done-time.

It's not rocket science to make this information configurable in the list and let the grid sort itself by these columns. So: please assign this task to an engaged developer to get it done 🙏.

24 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Former versions offered possibilities to sort any column

I've also been an advocate for the return of this feature. I decided not to mention it as it's not something that can be done right now. I guess the tag system could be hacked to give you a completely customised sort order provided you could sort by tag. However the V10 version of table of contents, with draging and renumbering, is probably a better option (provided you remember to add a new note to the TOC)

26 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I guess the tag system could be hacked to give you a completely customised

Many users (including me) already have implemented well working tag systems (i.e. with special starting characters, numbers and so on...). I really don't want to figure out additional hacks for such base functionality like sorting by clicking a grid headline 😡

Believe me: I cannot count people (collegues, friends, forum users, ...) that are really disappointed of EN10's missing UI-functionality (especially on Windows). It's only my almost infinite patience and believe in EN that keeps me using it ... (see below 😉)

1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

Many users (including me) already have implemented well working tag systems (i.e. with special starting characters, numbers and so on...). I really don't want to figure out additional hacks for such base functionality like sorting by clicking a grid headline 😡

I think you are in danger of hijacking this thread which is about 

3 hours ago, evansad said:

a way to manually sort notes

I take that as the ability get a list of notes into a particular order. To achieve this via sorting by tag you would need to give each note some sort of unique tag. I count that as a hack, because it is not what the tag system was designed to do. As I thought I had made clear, this would only work if you could sort by tags and is not in any way a replacement for this. As you can't (currently) sort by tags this whole discussion is completely irrelevant to the OP!

• Haha 1

Hi Ladies and Gents:  I recently started transitioning the new version of Evernote. Quick question, has there been any indication from Evernote headquarters concerning their willingness/ability to give us the option to sort by location? If not, in your experienced opinion, do you think it's possible that EN will ever do this?  By the way, because of the lack of this single feature, I am forced to use the legacy version of the app along side the new version. Thank you for your provide an update. -- Re. 

• Level 5*
On 9/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, RenatoTS said:

Hi Ladies and Gents:  I recently started transitioning the new version of Evernote. Quick question, has there been any indication from Evernote headquarters concerning their willingness/ability to give us the option to sort by location? If not, in your experienced opinion, do you think it's possible that EN will ever do this?  By the way, because of the lack of this single feature, I am forced to use the legacy version of the app along side the new version. Thank you for your provide an update. -- Re. 

Hi. What sort of 'location' are you looking for?  Evernote shows notebooks as the location of some notes.  If you have geographic co-ordinates see Save note location information