Why won't Evernote start?

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

It usually takes several attempts for Evernote to start in Windows for some reason <sigh!> until the past few days that is. EN on my Android tablet always behaves itself and starts when I want/need it to.

I click or double-click the icon on the Task bar, I click or double-click the icon in the results from doing a search for Evernote, I click or double click the icon in the Evernote folder.

Usually I get a spinner for a few seconds then it vanishes and nothing happens. I try again and again and then after a few attempts Evernote starts. I then leave Evernote running unless I have to close it or Restart. The icon on the Taskbar has gone white and I've lost the green elephant.

In the past few days I just keep clicking or double-clicking. Sometimes I get a spinner for a few seconds, sometimes nothing happens. Evernote never starts  😢

Should I reboot? Should I reinstall? Should I have a beer? 🍺 Should I have a lot of beer? 🍻      🤷‍♂️

Perhaps I should should go over to the Apple dark side. (Waits for resultant backlash....) 😈

• Solution
8 hours ago, BikerDon said:

Should I reboot?

In the past I have had various lurking EN processes that have prevented me from opening EN. So you could either reboot or open task manager and see if there are EN processes running in the background. If there are you can just kill them.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, BikerDon said:

Should I reboot? Should I reinstall? Should I have a beer? 🍺 Should I have a lot of beer? 🍻 

Rebooting is always a wise step in fault finding any issue on a PC. Reinstalling may or may not help but will certainly lead to an opportunity for at least one beer. Other beverages are available...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

In the past I have had various lurking EN processes that have prevented me from opening EN. So you could either reboot or open task manager and see if there are EN processes running in the background. If there are you can just kill them.

I should have mentioned that task manager shows 16 EN processes when it's trying to start; when it gives up trying there are 5 processes left running but nothing appears on the screen 😕

And there is no sign of the EN app in the notification area.

Those 5 possibly rogue processes could be the answer, I'll try pruning them (while 'pruning' a beer or two 🍻 obviously 😁) if they're still there, thank you 👍🏻

• Like 2

Seems like the 5 rogue processes were the cause, I killed them and tried again while watching Task Manager - that was interesting alright.

EN processes started up gradually one at a time getting up to a total of 8 at one stage then dropping to 5. Then an EN window slowly started to appear. Eventually EN was up and running. All this took an absolute eternity, I wish I has started a timer, I reckon it was 5 minutes or so. I then noticed the green elephant had appeared in the task bar icon after some time - it was an empty white square for most of the startup, I guess updating icons is on of the last things startup does.

I see I am back to 8 processes again. It will be interesting to see if any are left hanging when I close EN down next time.

[EDIT} Forgot to mention the EN elephant icon is back in the notification area so all appears to be well once again 👍

I'm going to leave it going for the time being 🤞

Thank you @Mike P

• Like 1