Everything is lost... again!

daghemo

Idea

I'm not new to Evernote bugs. I lost a lot of notes in the past 10 years, because of bugs.
I opened 20 support requests. And here I am, again. I mean, I've lost 2 days of work on a single note. But I cannot find a way to open a new support request.
Honestly, after 10 years of work and 4k notes, I'm too lazy/busy to move to a better alternative.
No, I cannot say I love Evernote. I would love to love it. But I need some love back too.
I've also been a paying user in the past, but... again, no love back.

I've spent some hours during the week end, editing a single text note on my Windows PC running 10.59.5.
I've just rebooted my PC and it seems that the note has been saved last time on 2023-07-29! All change are gone. 

I hope someone here can help me. 
Is someone else experiencing the same problem?

• Like 1

12 replies to this idea

I've seen a lot of similar problems reported over the last couple of weeks in the discussion forums and on Reddit. The problem has happened to me as well, but I only lost 2 hours worth of work. In my case, no recovery of the data was possible as the note history was also not working for the note. Evernote support seems to be pretty backlogged at the moment and the gamble for me to spend the time to see if Evernote support could help in my case wasn't worth the effort. (And from what I've seen on the discussion forums, they wouldn't have been able to help but I could be wrong.)

Does this link work for you to submit a support ticket? https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Case you need it:

Actually I can’t tell about lost content, since it didn’t happen to me (yet ?). I have to say that I have the habit to save my work from time to time, by leaving the open note briefly, and then returning to it. Often I use the break to fetch some information elsewhere, or I make a real break, and switch to a general view before I leave.

Maybe this helps to reduce the likelihood of loosing edits.
On 8/7/2023 at 7:39 AM, RKTMPSC said:

Does paid subscription help to recover lost notes?

Maybe... or maybe not! :(
A paid subscription would allow you to access the Note History feature: with it, you may be able to recover lost notes/edits... or not.
I mean, I remember I was not able to recover some note because of a bug or synchronization problem. It happened again and it was the reason why I created this thread.
Also, Evernote never implemented a real backup feature. In the past I was able to select all notes and export them.
Now I can do that only on a per-notebook basis.
Someone may also think that Evernote chosen to do this in order to gain more paying users...
Moreover, I know that Evernote was bought by an Italian company called Bending Spoons. I'm Italian and I'm proud we have lot of fantastic startups here in Italy. But I'm a little bit worried about the acquisition on Bending Spoons. It seems they have not yet revealed a roadmap for the the future of Evernote. 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:05 PM, PinkElephant said:

Case you need it:

Actually I can’t tell about lost content, since it didn’t happen to me (yet ?). I have to say that I have the habit to save my work from time to time, by leaving the open note briefly, and then returning to it. Often I use the break to fetch some information elsewhere, or I make a real break, and switch to a general view before I leave.

Maybe this helps to reduce the likelihood of loosing edits.

The link does not work anymore. That is, it seems that only the community forum is supported right now. Maybe paying user can open tickets. As I did in the past, with not much satisfaction.

I understand what you mean: edit a note, then move elsewhere, then move back to the note in order to force a sync. Seems a good idea to me. But... 
It seems to me and Evernote automatically saves/syncs your notes to the cloud... In fact, you should see a "All changes saved" message in the bottom right corner.
To be honest, I do not remember if I had a complete different message there. Such as "Cannot sync your changes". But I remember I did not received any popup before rebooting my PC and as soon I've started again Evernote I was missing last updates.

Also, can you confirm that you now need to export your notes on a notebook-basis? That is, if you have 24 notebooks, you need to repeat the export operation 24 times. 

On 7/31/2023 at 10:05 PM, Boot17 said:

I've seen a lot of similar problems reported over the last couple of weeks in the discussion forums and on Reddit. The problem has happened to me as well, but I only lost 2 hours worth of work. In my case, no recovery of the data was possible as the note history was also not working for the note. Evernote support seems to be pretty backlogged at the moment and the gamble for me to spend the time to see if Evernote support could help in my case wasn't worth the effort. (And from what I've seen on the discussion forums, they wouldn't have been able to help but I could be wrong.)

Does this link work for you to submit a support ticket? https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I opened 20+ support tickets in the past 10 year and I can say they have always been backlogged. :)
Moreover, the link you suggested does not work anymore. I mean, any option you choose, you're prompted to use the community forum.

It also seems that the future of Evernote is not much clear: https://techcrunch.com/2023/02/27/bending-spoons-lays-off-129-evernote-staffers/

• Level 5
5 hours ago, daghemo said:

Moreover, the link you suggested does not work anymore. I mean, any option you choose, you're prompted to use the community forum.

If you're not logged in to a paid Evernote account, then your support options will indeed be limited. But the link (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) does work and there are (limited) options available if you enter as a guest.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If you're not logged in to a paid Evernote account, then your support options will indeed be limited. But the link (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new) does work and there are (limited) options available if you enter as a guest.

You are right. I mean, the link is not broken. But, as i wrote, "any option you choose, you're prompted to use the community forum". 
I had been a paying customer for years, but I suffered various bugs and data loss... that's why I decided that paying was not worth...
I thinks it's time for me to quit Evernote...  so long and thanks for all the bugs. :)

• Level 5
6 hours ago, daghemo said:

You are right. I mean, the link is not broken. But, as i wrote, "any option you choose, you're prompted to use the community forum". 
I had been a paying customer for years, but I suffered various bugs and data loss... that's why I decided that paying was not worth...
I thinks it's time for me to quit Evernote...  so long and thanks for all the bugs. :)

I haven't explored it thoroughly myself, but one last try, to be sure (if you're still here): did you try going to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and scrolling down to the "Guest" option?

This happened to me one other time when I upgraded my iPhone to a newer model. I briefly was unable to see my notes though it recovered on its own when I logged out and back in. (I only use one email for this app since I also access it with my work computer, my personal iPad and MacBook.) This time I am experiencing the same problem but this time unable to get my notes. I have 10 years worth of data stored in the app and it appears they've all gone. I've entered a couple of tickets but seeing some of you enter much more than me, I'm thinking it will be a while for support to answer my plea. Thanks.