Braod question including audio files ( again) and file management

I have made a table of compositions that are works in progress (WIP), and evey row contains a column with MP3 snippets of each composition.

Works beautifully.

I am also preparing a gig, where I want to do a similar job, but with compositions that I want to perform.

Some of those tunes are in my WIP table, some older ones are not,

If I copy an MP3 from my WIP table to to my gig table, have I created a second MP3 somehere on my local drive, or are they all aliases of the original MP3 on my local drive?

pete

On your local Mac or PC they live in a local cache structure of directories and files. It's not really straightforward to find though (as far as having file extensions and names that match what you see in the note). For example -- this sample note with an image and one MP3:

image.png.39e420ad6f0bc49d1f9793539dc4c136.png

has blobs/attachments in a folder structure like this: (Note this is on MacOS, but it is similar for Windows.) /Users/[user_name]/Library/Application Support/Evernote/resource-cache/User9999999999/5e123435-3dcf-bd09-a871-585144e1d9cd/ where 5e123435-3dcf-bd09-a871-585144e1d9cd/ is the globally unique ID for that note.

The image and the mp3 file will then also have a globally unique ID for a file name in that directory without having an mp3 or .jpg file extension to easily identify them.

I copied my 10 MB mp3 to a new note and noticed that the globally unique ID for that mp3 object was the exact same as the original note (albeit now existing in two separate directories). So, while there is secondary file in the local cache (your computer) in a different folder, the globally unique ID is the exact same and I suspect that only one actual copy of that mp3 file is kept on the server. 

Edit: Also -- so if you have two copies of the mp3 in the same note, it would only show as one file in the note directory on disk.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

On your local Mac or PC they live in a local cache structure of directories and files. It's not really straightforward to find though (as far as having file extensions and names that match what you see in the note). For example -- this sample note with an image and one MP3:

image.png.39e420ad6f0bc49d1f9793539dc4c136.png

has blobs/attachments in a folder structure like this: (Note this is on MacOS, but it is similar for Windows.) /Users/[user_name]/Library/Application Support/Evernote/resource-cache/User9999999999/5e123435-3dcf-bd09-a871-585144e1d9cd/ where 5e123435-3dcf-bd09-a871-585144e1d9cd/ is the globally unique ID for that note.

The image and the mp3 file will then also have a globally unique ID for a file name in that directory without having an mp3 or .jpg file extension to easily identify them.

I copied my 10 MB mp3 to a new note and noticed that the globally unique ID for that mp3 object was the exact same as the original note (albeit now existing in two separate directories). So, while there is secondary file in the local cache (your computer) in a different folder, the globally unique ID is the exact same and I suspect that only one actual copy of that mp3 file is kept on the server. 

Edit: Also -- so if you have two copies of the mp3 in the same note, it would only show as one file in the note directory on disk.

good grief! Life's too short... 😉

Thank you, at least I know now

pete